Board Logo
« Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 25th, 2017, 01:12am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
 thread  Author  Topic: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome  (Read 234 times)
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
angry Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Thread started on: Aug 13th, 2017, 09:40am »

Years ago, I loved this song. I thought it was magic.

But after years and years and years of this song being played on the radio and the television it's downright maddening to hear it now. My Dad, a big E.L.O. fan, agrees, and coined the term Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome, which is when the radio seemingly always plays ONE specific song by each band. Note the word "seemingly" - their other songs are sometimes played, but one song of theirs is always played much, much more than the others.

10cc - I'm Not In Love

The Eagles - Hotel California

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

Queen - Bohemian F-ing Rhapsody

The annoying thing is, these are all good songs - they've just been ruined by the radio after constant play, and some people actually request these songs as if they're never played and deserve more exposure! Drives me up the wall. Oh yeah...

Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall

AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!! angry
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10877
xx Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2017, 10:13am »

on Aug 13th, 2017, 09:40am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
Years ago, I loved this song. I thought it was magic.

But after years and years and years of this song being played on the radio and the television it's downright maddening to hear it now. My Dad, a big E.L.O. fan, agrees, and coined the term Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome, which is when the radio seemingly always plays ONE specific song by each band. Note the word "seemingly" - their other songs are sometimes played, but one song of theirs is always played much, much more than the others.

10cc - I'm Not In Love

The Eagles - Hotel California

Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

Queen - Bohemian F-ing Rhapsody

The annoying thing is, these are all good songs - they've just been ruined by the radio after constant play, and some people actually request these songs as if they're never played and deserve more exposure! Drives me up the wall. Oh yeah...

Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall

AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!! angry


I know what you mean!!!...
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2314
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2017, 12:24pm »

It must be a mixed blessing for those bands. They must get sick of people thinking that was the only song they ever recorded, but maybe the royalties are adequate compensation unless they've sold the royalties off cheaply, in which case they probably kick themselves every time they hear their song played! laugh
User IP Logged

FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1249
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2017, 6:50pm »

We had a similar topic to this, 'reducing artists to one song'.

http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=othergenres&action=display&num=1462037200

But of those NSOV listed the only one which has been ruined for me is Hotel California, and I have many reasons for that. I suppose as a Dire Straits tragic some might say Sultans Of Swing fits this category.
User IP Logged

User Image
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9289
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2017, 7:49pm »

Solution: Listen to better radio stations. tongue
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
xx Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14th, 2017, 03:23am »

on Aug 13th, 2017, 6:50pm, FeelItComing wrote:
We had a similar topic to this, 'reducing artists to one song'.

http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=othergenres&action=display&num=1462037200

You know, when making this thread, I was actually thinking to myself "I think we had this topic a few years ago." but I didn't know we only talked about it last year! embarassed Had I known this I wouldn't have restarted it.
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2017, 03:23am by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

rael1974
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"They call me the trail blazer-Rael-electric razor."


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 613
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14th, 2017, 3:55pm »

That's why I listen to the radio in moderation.
User IP Logged

User Image
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19604
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16th, 2017, 3:28pm »

Totally agree with this. I've said the same thing myself on numerous occasions.
Other overplayed songs worth mentioning:

Queen - We Are The Champions

and even worse:

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust!
(For me, one of the worst Queen singles ever when you compare it to their creative early days)

Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody

There's plenty more out there if I stop and think about it....

angry
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10877
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #8 on: Aug 16th, 2017, 4:03pm »

There are not too many radio stations offer good classic rock or prog for that matter. Unless you're in that selected area which offers that local radio to your door!..
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1249
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16th, 2017, 5:35pm »

Later Roxy Music specifically Avalon. I have never heard songs like Do The Strand or Virginia Plain on radio (although I haven't listened to radio for a very long time).
User IP Logged

User Image
johnstrac
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 171
xx Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17th, 2017, 10:49am »

on Aug 16th, 2017, 3:28pm, Chessman wrote:
Totally agree with this. I've said the same thing myself on numerous occasions.
Other overplayed songs worth mentioning:

Queen - We Are The Champions

and even worse:

Queen - Another One Bites the Dust!
(For me, one of the worst Queen singles ever when you compare it to their creative early days)

Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody

There's plenty more out there if I stop and think about it....

angry


To be fair to Travis all the others sound just like Why Does...
User IP Logged

Dr. John
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 665
angry Re: Mr. Blue Sky Syndrome
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17th, 2017, 11:50am »

I don't have the expectation that mainstream radio, catering to a wide audience, is going to play anything but the most popular and recognized songs by artists. Of course that's what they are going to do.

I am a little more irritated when some of the supposedly more niche satellite and online radio stations, which claim to play "deep cuts" etc., don't do much differently than the mainstream stations.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2017, 11:50am by Dr. John » User IP Logged

Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls