Board Logo
« Prog news »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2017, 9:18pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  50 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Prog news  (Read 44050 times)
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #15 on: May 6th, 2011, 8:25pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but some new albums are of interest:

A Grounding in Numbers - Van der Graaf Generator

This was released a few weeks ago, so not entirely new. It's probably a stronger album than 2008's Trisector, but I feel it still suffers a bit from the Peter Hammill solo bug. Still, a new Van der Graaf is always a thing to be happy about.

Snowtorch - Phideaux

This really is a hugely overlooked band. Occasionally a bit off-kilter, but very melodic and quite unique. This will be released on May 20th, but until then the entire album can be streamed here:
http://phideaux.bandcamp.com/album/snowtorch

Director's Cut - Kate Bush

Not quite new - it's a reworking of songs from The Sensuous World and The Red Shoes. I must be just about the only person in the world who prefers Red Shoes to Sensuous World, but neither are really my favourite. I'll be sure to pick this one up when it comes out, though (May 16th) - it's Kate Bush, after all.

A Scarcity of Miracles - Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins

Okay, it's not quite King Crimson - but it's gotta be close, right? A lot of people seem to be awaiting this one with bated breath. Me, I'm not altogether convinced - let's see what it sounds like, though! Released May 30th.


« Last Edit: May 6th, 2011, 8:31pm by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Carpet Crawler
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 595
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #16 on: May 9th, 2011, 07:33am »

on May 6th, 2011, 8:25pm, Julian wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but some new albums are of interest:

A Grounding in Numbers - Van der Graaf Generator

This was released a few weeks ago, so not entirely new. It's probably a stronger album than 2008's Trisector, but I feel it still suffers a bit from the Peter Hammill solo bug. Still, a new Van der Graaf is always a thing to be happy about.


I actually got this one a few weeks ago. I do think it's better than Trisector, although I still miss David Jackson. But I like it overall, and the mathematics concept and artwork is pretty neat. Mr. Sands is probably my favorite. I've never listened to Hammill's solo output so I'm unfamiliar with the "solo bug" you refer to. wink


Quote:
[...]

Director's Cut - Kate Bush

Not quite new - it's a reworking of songs from The Sensuous World and The Red Shoes. I must be just about the only person in the world who prefers Red Shoes to Sensuous World, but neither are really my favourite. I'll be sure to pick this one up when it comes out, though (May 16th) - it's Kate Bush, after all.

A Scarcity of Miracles - Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins

Okay, it's not quite King Crimson - but it's gotta be close, right? A lot of people seem to be awaiting this one with bated breath. Me, I'm not altogether convinced - let's see what it sounds like, though! Released May 30th.


I'll probably get these as well. I mean, it's Kate Bush and (some of) King Crimson after all. cheesy
User IP Logged

Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #17 on: May 9th, 2011, 12:54pm »

on May 9th, 2011, 07:33am, Carpet Crawler wrote:
I've never listened to Hammill's solo output so I'm unfamiliar with the "solo bug" you refer to. wink


Ah, I should have been a bit clearer. I simply mean that the new Van Der Graaf albums are closer to the Hammill solo albums than I'd like. I like Hammill - a lot! - but his solo stuff can be a bit hit or miss, and I always thought of Van der Graaf as being the stage where he displays only "the good stuff". I'm sure the absence of Jackson is part of this, by the way...

In any case, I see DPRP have already reviewed Phideaux's Snowtorch:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201118.php

High marks all round, but that's not too surprising. (DPRP also recently reviewed Pendragon's Passion, an album I didn't mention because it's been out for a while. Again, a high score: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201119.php )

Just a bit of news: Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink will be released in a 40th anniversary edition on May 30th. There are three discs in the package: a stereo remaster, some bonus (live) material, and - the only thing that makes it really interesting, for me - a 5.1 mix of the album.

Finally, for some fun:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/steve-davis-gets--interesting-as-a-prog-rock-dj-2274415.html

(I'd read somewhere that Steve Davis liked Magma. It seems that wasn't just a fad - he's a real prog fan!)
User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19624
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #18 on: May 9th, 2011, 3:39pm »

on May 9th, 2011, 12:54pm, Julian wrote:
Ah, I should have been a bit clearer. I simply mean that the new Van Der Graaf albums are closer to the Hammill solo albums than I'd like. I like Hammill - a lot! - but his solo stuff can be a bit hit or miss, and I always thought of Van der Graaf as being the stage where he displays only "the good stuff". I'm sure the absence of Jackson is part of this, by the way...

In any case, I see DPRP have already reviewed Phideaux's Snowtorch:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201118.php

High marks all round, but that's not too surprising. (DPRP also recently reviewed Pendragon's Passion, an album I didn't mention because it's been out for a while. Again, a high score: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201119.php )

Just a bit of news: Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink will be released in a 40th anniversary edition on May 30th. There are three discs in the package: a stereo remaster, some bonus (live) material, and - the only thing that makes it really interesting, for me - a 5.1 mix of the album.

Finally, for some fun:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/steve-davis-gets--interesting-as-a-prog-rock-dj-2274415.html

(I'd read somewhere that Steve Davis liked Magma. It seems that wasn't just a fad - he's a real prog fan!)


Thanks for that. Interesting article. I never would have guessed Steve Davis had three things in common with me: Snooker, Chess and prog! Good to know that. wink
User IP Logged

NedFlanders
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5176
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #19 on: May 18th, 2011, 03:15am »

Up and coming releases:

Neal Morse - Testimony 2: 23 May 11
CCLR (feat Mr Hackett as guest) s/t: 27 Jun 11
Stream of Passion (feat Ayreon) - Darker days: 27 Jun 11
Sky Architect - A man's dying hymn: 6 Jun 11
Journey - Eclipse: 30 Jun 11
Andy Sears (Twelfth Night) - Souvenir: 23 May 11
Factory of Dreams - Melotronical: 23 May 11
Mostly Autumn - That night in Leamington: 23 May 11
C-Sides (feat ex Magenta guys) - Divitrification: 23 May 11
Sun Domingo (feat Bruce Soord and Steve Hogarth) - Songs for end times: 23 May 11.
Paatos - Breathing: 23 May 11
Earth and Fire - To the world of the future (remaster) out on 27 Jun 11
Jon Anderson - Survival and other stories: 18 Jul 11
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction/Ghost/Calm and the storm: 20 May 11
Acqua Fragile - Mass media stars/Acqua Fragile: out 27 Jun 11
Symphony X - Iconoclast: 20 Jun 11
User IP Logged

Marygold
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 1033
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #20 on: May 18th, 2011, 03:29am »

The brand new album from swedish band WOLVERINE ("Communication Lost") will be released on May, 23rd. This is a good information for Demo Man (especially). wink
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13436
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #21 on: May 19th, 2011, 03:57am »

on May 18th, 2011, 03:29am, Marygold wrote:
The brand new album from swedish band WOLVERINE ("Communication Lost") will be released on May, 23rd. This is a good information for Demo Man (especially). wink


EXCELLENT News Marygold! I have been very patient smiley
User IP Logged

Marygold
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 1033
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #22 on: May 19th, 2011, 11:21am »

Those of you who like STENCIL FOREST, should be glad to know about their long-awaited CD 'The Labyrinth'. It will see the daylight in June 2011. cool
User IP Logged

Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #23 on: May 22nd, 2011, 3:36pm »

on Apr 15th, 2011, 05:51am, NedFlanders wrote:
Sean Filkins (ex Big Big Train) War And Peace & Other
Short Stories

The album was recorded at Lee Abrahamís Dockside Studio. Produced and mixed by Lee Abraham and myself. Engineered by Lee Abraham. The drums were recorded and engineered by Karl Groom at Thin Ice Studios. All songs are original compositions.




I just read the DPRP review for Sean Filkins's album:

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201120.php

It sounds quite good (as do the audio snippets on his site). Has anyone got this yet? I'd be interested to hear your views!
User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Carpet Crawler
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 595
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #24 on: May 24th, 2011, 3:49pm »

on May 9th, 2011, 12:54pm, Julian wrote:
Ah, I should have been a bit clearer. I simply mean that the new Van Der Graaf albums are closer to the Hammill solo albums than I'd like. I like Hammill - a lot! - but his solo stuff can be a bit hit or miss, and I always thought of Van der Graaf as being the stage where he displays only "the good stuff". I'm sure the absence of Jackson is part of this, by the way...


Oh I see what you mean. That's what I figured you'd meant, but wasn't sure. wink

The new VDGG album has grown on me quite a bit over the last few weeks. Not something I listen to all the time, but when the mood strikes it's quite nice.


Quote:
Just a bit of news: Caravan's In the Land of Grey and Pink will be released in a 40th anniversary edition on May 30th. There are three discs in the package: a stereo remaster, some bonus (live) material, and - the only thing that makes it really interesting, for me - a 5.1 mix of the album.


I'd also heard of this and was quite intrigued. Who knew Steven Wilson was a fan of Caravan? Too cool. cheesy

Haven't got Sean Filkins' new CD yet, but I've heard almost nothing but good stuff about it, so it's on my list.
« Last Edit: May 24th, 2011, 3:49pm by Carpet Crawler » User IP Logged

Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #25 on: Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:21am »

Some mention should be made of Battles' second album, Glass Drop, which is due for release on June 7th or so.

Battles first full-length album, Mirrored, was released in 2007. Full of strange rhythms, odd bleeps and curiously quaint synthesized "oohs" and "ahs", it managed to be both fresh and strangely appealing for some prog fans (the kind that might like The Flaming Lips, say).

I've no idea whether the new album will follow suit, mind, but I'll be sure to give it a listen once it's out. (Oh, and I hear it features Gary Numan, no less...)

Here's the site:

http://bttls.com/
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:22am by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #26 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 9:28pm »

A few thoughts on some recently acquired CD's:

Caravan - In The Land Of Grey And Pink

A three-CD package, the only CD of real interest is the third one: a 5.1 version of the album, mixed by Steve Wilson. It's good, but perhaps not quite as good as I hoped. It suffers from a slightly over enthousiastic approach; there are too many instruments running around the place (i.e. from speaker to speaker) for my liking. Still, by no means bad!

Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins - A Scarcity of Miracles

To be very brief: excellent musicianship, great recording. The thing is, though, it's dreadfully boring. (Sorry, but I feel it is, really!)

Sufjan Stevens - The Age of Adz

Released last year, this one had somehow passed me by. I'm up to speed now, though: this is an excellent CD, full of Stevens' wonderfully melodic idiocy. The drawback? It's overindulgent. The final track, for example, lasts over 25 minutes; someone should have cut that down to 10, tops (it's a beautiful song, though).

Meanwhile, I hear that Mike Oldfield's Incantations will be re-released on July 25th. However, whilst the earlier re-released albums all featured full 5.1 versions, Incantations will only have some "Excerpts" in surround sound. Hmmm... Might give that one a miss!
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2011, 7:27pm by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
peng
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1125
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #27 on: Jun 11th, 2011, 11:25pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:21am, Julian wrote:
the kind that might like The Flaming Lips, say



peng raises hand eagerly... looks around, crickets chirping
User IP Logged

come and play in the milky night
swallow the rapture
demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13436
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #28 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 02:28am »

From Burning Shed: Just bagged one of the 200 limited pressings for a tad over £14 incl postage.


Nosound
The Northern Religion Of Things (cd)

A new album of radical re-interpretations of Nosound tracks from the band's leader/founder, Giancarlo Erra.

The Northern Religion Of Things was recorded during the rehearsal process for a unique one-off 'Nosound solo' gig that Giancarlo performed in London in August 2010.

For this intimate gig, Giancarlo created new arrangements for several classic Nosound tracks using a live setup that enabled him to play keyboards and/or acoustic guitar while also singing and recreating sounds and effects from the original studio albums. No backing tracks were used, only triggered loops and played instruments.

The album is available as a standard jewel case in slip case (with booklet and liner notes) and as a very limited edition strictly limited to 200 copies, that includes:

1) The original CD (in jewel case with slipcase, plus 12 page photographic booklet and extended liner notes)

2) A6 (105mm ◊ 148mm) high quality signed sticker featuring the album cover.

3) Four square badges (40mm x 40mm) featuring the album covers of the 4 Nosound studio albums.

Pre-order for 17th July release.
smiley
User IP Logged

Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #29 on: Jun 12th, 2011, 7:35pm »

on Jun 11th, 2011, 11:25pm, peng wrote:
peng raises hand eagerly... looks around, crickets chirping


Mirrored is really a very good album, Peng! It takes a little getting used to - at first, there doesn't seem all that much to get your teeth into, since there are no lyrics - but it just gets better and better the more you listen. I love it.

I can't believe you've never heard of them.... smiley

Mind you, it's all much more electronic and percussive than The Lips... That's part of the charm, I guess. It makes 'em awfully hip, you know.

(Again, I've not heard Glass Drop yet.)
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2011, 7:58pm by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  50 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls