Turn it on Again- A Genesis Forum
Other Bands >> Progressive Rock Discussion >> IQ
http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=prog&action=display&num=1391739108

IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 12th, 2013, 10:05am

Writing has already began on the new cd.. For you fortunate people living in UK who can see IQ live this year. Will hear a glimpse of some tracks before the actual cd goes on sale.

They do that a lot!... smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Carpet Crawler on Jan 12th, 2013, 11:45am

Good news! smiley

I absolutely love IQ.
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:08pm

I only know about the album "Dark Matter" and I think I have it on a disc that Ned sent me. How good are they?
Re: IQ
Post by NedFlanders on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:13pm

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:08pm, NoSonofVine wrote:
I only know about the album "Dark Matter" and I think I have it on a disc that Ned sent me. How good are they?


Ehhh...perhaps if you go and listen to it then you will be able to answer that question yourself cheesy
Re: IQ
Post by Carpet Crawler on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:15pm

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:08pm, NoSonofVine wrote:
I only know about the album "Dark Matter" and I think I have it on a disc that Ned sent me. How good are they?

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:13pm, NedFlanders wrote:
Ehhh...perhaps if you go and listen to it then you will be able to answer that question yourself cheesy


I second what Ned said. wink

Dark Matter is good, but Subterranea is excellent.
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:23pm

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:15pm, Carpet Crawler wrote:
I second what Ned said. wink

Dark Matter is good, but Subterranea is excellent.


Subterranea, Seventh House, Frequency and Dark Matter are all good cd's.. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on Jan 13th, 2013, 01:00am

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:08pm, NoSonofVine wrote:
I only know about the album "Dark Matter" and I think I have it on a disc that Ned sent me. How good are they?


They are really not bad at all.

rolleyes
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Jan 13th, 2013, 03:48am

About to listen to the album. cool
Re: IQ
Post by Marygold on Jan 13th, 2013, 04:18am

on Jan 12th, 2013, 3:23pm, Noni wrote:
Subterranea, Seventh House, Frequency and Dark Matter are all good cd's.. smiley


+ 1. "Ever" is a worthy album to your attention too. wink
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Jan 13th, 2013, 04:49am

Just finishing Dark Matter. A very good album. I love neo-prog. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on Jan 13th, 2013, 09:16am

IQ are about to re - release their stunning debut album Tales From The Lush Attic this month. All newly mixed and remastered with some great add - ons. Might be a good occasion to get into one of the greatest bands on the planet.
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 13th, 2013, 09:24am

on Jan 13th, 2013, 09:16am, slowdancer wrote:
IQ are about to re - release their stunning debut album Tales From The Lush Attic this month. All newly mixed and remastered with some great add - ons. Might be a good occasion to get into one of the greatest bands on the planet.


That is a great album!.. cheesy
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 16th, 2013, 7:58pm

User Image

Very funny picture from IQ grin
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on Jan 28th, 2013, 3:48pm

on Jan 16th, 2013, 7:58pm, Noni wrote:
User Image

Very funny picture from IQ grin


These images were shown during last month's excellent Christmas bash at the O2 Islington - even more scary at stage projection size! grin
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 28th, 2013, 3:55pm

Thought this was too funny! cheesy
laugh
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on Jan 28th, 2013, 4:01pm

Here's a far less scary one...

User Image
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 28th, 2013, 4:10pm

Nice picture! wink
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on Jan 28th, 2013, 4:38pm

Thank you smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Jan 31st, 2013, 11:21am


Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Feb 25th, 2013, 09:13am

Mike Holmes( lead guitarist from IQ) interview on Radio... Mike has good taste in music!.... smiley


http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Fqsics97vubyu3kg%2FProgDogShow16.mp3&h=nAQEsCbVS
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Oct 5th, 2013, 4:08pm

Making of the new album.


Re: IQ
Post by Julian on Oct 5th, 2013, 6:19pm


I'm not sure I've ever heard a band being more blasé about their upcoming album... smiley

Ah well, I'm sure it'll turn out to be excellent...

In any case, the news would seem to be the release date. May 3, 2014, if I heard right.
Re: IQ
Post by essexboyinwales on Oct 15th, 2013, 08:15am

If you like IQ you need to go here immediately:

http://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-year/2013/item/new-iq-album

Amazing deal, and not sure there are many left............



Seeya there cheesy cool smiley cheesy cool
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Oct 15th, 2013, 10:56pm

I like this!
smiley wink
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Feb 6th, 2014, 6:08pm

The recording of the new album is going well according to Mike Holmes and a major film is almost completed to Subterranea.

Release date or news early spring!

grin
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:31am

This morning I'm listening to the double album Subterranea. I hope it's good. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by John Wilkinson on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:34am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:31am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
This morning I'm listening to the double album Subterranea. I hope it's good. smiley


Nah...It's cr@p rolleyes

Great band. My favourite songs are

Widows Peal
Guiding Light
Harvest Of Souls (or as I call it Supper's Ready part two) wink
The whole of The Seventh House album
The whole of Frequency
The whole of Ever

You get the picture here rolleyes

Enjoy

Best wishes

John
Re: IQ
Post by Down And Out on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:35am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:34am, John Wilkinson wrote:
Harvest Of Souls (or as I call it Supper's Ready part two) wink

Surely part three as part two is called Grendel. grin wink

Re: IQ
Post by Cthulhu on Feb 7th, 2014, 04:41am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:31am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
This morning I'm listening to the double album Subterranea. I hope it's good. smiley


It's their best without any doubt, certainly the band think so. It's a rare beast, a double album that doesn't dip in quality from beginning to end, that was an amazingly creative period for them.
Re: IQ
Post by John Wilkinson on Feb 7th, 2014, 04:46am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:35am, Down And Out wrote:
Surely part three as part two is called Grendel. grin wink


Ok then....Part 3 wink

Best wishes

John
Re: IQ
Post by Cthulhu on Feb 7th, 2014, 05:02am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 03:34am, John Wilkinson wrote:
Harvest Of Souls (or as I call it Supper's Ready part two) wink


I honestly can't hear any similarity between the two, other than the fact it's a long piece made up of shorter, linked pieces, but Supper's Ready was hardly unique in that, Van der Graaf Genesrator did that a year earlier with A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and Procol Harum did it four years earlier with In Held 'Twas In I.
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Feb 7th, 2014, 05:32am

OK, having just heard the album for the first time, here's a quick review of Subterranea. About two thirds of the album is pretty good, with some really nice and surprisingly unique moments. Unforunately though, the album's length is bloated at 102 minutes, and the remaining third of the album is, in my opinion of course, comprised of derivative prog fluff. This could have been a fantastic 70-minute album had this excess been removed, so I'm giving the album a 6 for now. Will listen to it again soon of course, and hopefully this score will increase with time.
Re: IQ
Post by John Wilkinson on Feb 7th, 2014, 07:45am

on Feb 7th, 2014, 05:02am, Cthulhu wrote:
I honestly can't hear any similarity between the two, other than the fact it's a long piece made up of shorter, linked pieces, but Supper's Ready was hardly unique in that, Van der Graaf Genesrator did that a year earlier with A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers and Procol Harum did it four years earlier with In Held 'Twas In I.


Hi matey

The reason I wrote that was because I see definte similarities in the structure of both songs. Both songs start off with a soft acoustic section which leads into a slow rousing section and there is a definite similarity in the enlongated keyboard solos in both peices before the opening theme gets reprised in a slower majestic reprise.

I love both songs by the way smiley

Yeah take you point about other bands doing longer songs though but unaware of the songs you mentioned.

Best wishes

John
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Feb 10th, 2014, 6:33pm

User Image
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Feb 11th, 2014, 12:59pm

IQ announce the release date of their new album........ grin

3rd of May, 2014...... cool
Re: IQ
Post by supernatural on Feb 12th, 2014, 1:20pm

Tickets arrived today for Bury grin
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Mar 7th, 2014, 12:32pm


Re: IQ
Post by Julian on Mar 7th, 2014, 6:10pm

on Mar 7th, 2014, 12:32pm, Noni wrote:


Thanks for that, Noni!
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Mar 7th, 2014, 7:16pm

Sounds excellent! cool
Re: IQ
Post by alfredthegreat on Mar 9th, 2014, 7:27pm

For all you IQ fans ,including me, the new album is to be called THE ROAD OF BONES.Release date in May,not sure which day. Scan anyone help with this?Available in single disc,or double disc with over 40 mins up new bonus stuff!Can't wait…… cheesy
Re: IQ
Post by essexboyinwales on Mar 12th, 2014, 04:27am

on Mar 9th, 2014, 7:27pm, alfredthegreat wrote:
For all you IQ fans ,including me, the new album is to be called THE ROAD OF BONES.Release date in May,not sure which day. Scan anyone help with this?Available in single disc,or double disc with over 40 mins up new bonus stuff!Can't wait…… cheesy


Release date is May 3rd. There was a promo pre-order set up months ago, with about 10 left as of yesterday apparently: the new CD, with bonus CDs, t-shirt, ticket to album launch gig on May 3rd in Islington, plus a few other goodies, for £48!! With this, you'll get the album a couple of weeks early (all being well...)

Can't wait. IQ are THE most consistent prog band to my ears and I'm absolutely sure the new album won't be anything less than magnificent cool
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Apr 8th, 2014, 04:04am

Sacred Sound is an awesome opening track! cool
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Apr 15th, 2014, 9:31pm


Re: IQ
Post by NedFlanders on Apr 16th, 2014, 06:26am

This is superb
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on Apr 16th, 2014, 09:30am

on Apr 16th, 2014, 06:26am, NedFlanders wrote:
This is superb


and no less.
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Apr 16th, 2014, 09:45am

Sounds great! cheesy
Re: IQ
Post by essexboyinwales on Apr 16th, 2014, 10:00am

Can't bring myself to watch/listen to it, knowing the new album will be popping through my letterbox in the next few days.....

Just 17 days until Islington smiley
Re: IQ
Post by NedFlanders on Apr 16th, 2014, 12:08pm

on Apr 16th, 2014, 10:00am, essexboyinwales wrote:
Can't bring myself to watch/listen to it, knowing the new album will be popping through my letterbox in the next few days.....

Just 17 days until Islington smiley


Oh you must. I have also ordered the album but this has seriously got me salivating.
Re: IQ
Post by CountingOutTime on Apr 16th, 2014, 12:12pm

on Apr 16th, 2014, 12:08pm, NedFlanders wrote:
Oh you must. I have also ordered the album but this has seriously got me salivating.


I'd order it too, but can't find anywhere on this side of the pond who's got it for preorder.
Re: IQ
Post by SteveHammond on Apr 16th, 2014, 2:04pm

on Apr 16th, 2014, 06:26am, NedFlanders wrote:
This is superb


+ 1 grin
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on Apr 17th, 2014, 01:03am

on Apr 16th, 2014, 12:12pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
I'd order it too, but can't find anywhere on this side of the pond who's got it for preorder.


Although it is on our side of the pond, I see no problem ordering from the IQ store. They are very reliable.
Re: IQ
Post by demolition man on Apr 17th, 2014, 2:56pm

I have to say that this sounds very good indeed. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Apr 20th, 2014, 5:06pm

on Apr 17th, 2014, 01:03am, slowdancer wrote:
Although it is on our side of the pond, I see no problem ordering from the IQ store. They are very reliable.


I just ordered mine!....
Re: IQ
Post by NedFlanders on Apr 30th, 2014, 3:44pm

Brilliant album and second disc has some cracking songs too.
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on Apr 30th, 2014, 4:20pm

The new album currently has an enormous score of 4.75 on ProgArchives. I think we have an instant prog classic on our hands. cool
Re: IQ
Post by Nov on May 2nd, 2014, 05:29am

on Apr 30th, 2014, 4:20pm, NoSonOfVine wrote:
The new album currently has an enormous score of 4.75 on ProgArchives. I think we have an instant prog classic on our hands. cool

That happens with most new releases by the bigger prog bands wink

In a few months time it will be down around 4.2 once the real prog snobs on that forum start slapping it down without actually hearing it wink


Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 2nd, 2014, 05:50am

on May 2nd, 2014, 05:29am, Nov wrote:
That happens with most new releases by the bigger prog bands wink

In a few months time it will be down around 4.2 once the real prog snobs on that forum start slapping it down without actually hearing it wink

Well probably, but it has 68 ratings so far. That's quite a lot of ratings, so I doubt the album's score will drop by that much. smiley

Also, its score is now slightly higher - 4.77. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Nov on May 2nd, 2014, 06:35am

on May 2nd, 2014, 05:50am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
Well probably, but it has 68 ratings so far. That's quite a lot of ratings, so I doubt the album's score will drop by that much. smiley

Also, its score is now slightly higher - 4.77. smiley

Wait until it has got around 300 ratings or so. I'll bet you a tenner that it won't be in the top 100 in 6 months. 4.77 is higher than all of the classic albums in the top 20. It all levels out over time wink

Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 2nd, 2014, 08:35am

on May 2nd, 2014, 06:35am, Nov wrote:
Wait until it has got around 300 ratings or so. I'll bet you a tenner that it won't be in the top 100 in 6 months. 4.77 is higher than all of the classic albums in the top 20. It all levels out over time wink


True indeed!

Not to forget a new Pendragon album this year too! wink cool
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 2nd, 2014, 2:53pm

on May 2nd, 2014, 08:35am, Noni wrote:
True indeed!

Not to forget a new Pendragon album this year too! wink cool

Cool. cool
Re: IQ
Post by supernatural on May 3rd, 2014, 2:08pm

Email received today saying it's on its way laugh
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 4th, 2014, 07:42am

on May 3rd, 2014, 2:08pm, supernatural wrote:
Email received today saying it's on its way laugh


Same here!.... cool
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 4th, 2014, 2:36pm

Just ordered it. cool
Re: IQ
Post by Down And Out on May 5th, 2014, 03:36am

on Apr 30th, 2014, 4:20pm, NoSonOfVine wrote:
The new album currently has an enormous score of 4.75 on ProgArchives. I think we have an instant prog classic on our hands. cool

on May 2nd, 2014, 05:29am, Nov wrote:
That happens with most new releases by the bigger prog bands wink

In a few months time it will be down around 4.2 once the real prog snobs on that forum start slapping it down without actually hearing it wink

That's exactly what happened with Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning. wink

Re: IQ
Post by Nov on May 5th, 2014, 03:44am

on May 5th, 2014, 03:36am, Down And Out wrote:
That's exactly what happened with Steven Wilson's Grace For Drowning. wink

Indeed wink

You get the artist's fans bigging the album up in the first few weeks of release and then the chin-strokers take notice and start beating it down and out of the top 100.

There are very few more recent albums that have managed to hold on to a top 100 spot long-term. Hybris by Anglagard is one of those and totally deserved of course wink


Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 5th, 2014, 08:36am

on May 5th, 2014, 03:44am, Nov wrote:
Indeed wink

You get the artist's fans bigging the album up in the first few weeks of release and then the chin-strokers take notice and start beating it down and out of the top 100.

There are very few more recent albums that have managed to hold on to a top 100 spot long-term. Hybris by Anglagard is one of those and totally deserved of course wink

I've seen the score start to drop, so sadly you are correct. sad Oh well, it's fine. Reviews of it are excellent, and it's on its way to my house. I'm certain that it's going to be an absolute blast and just as good as - if not better than - the band's previous two albums. cool
Re: IQ
Post by supernatural on May 6th, 2014, 08:04am

It's here grin



On first listen,it's pretty damn fine laugh
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 6th, 2014, 3:13pm

I received it earlier today as well. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by dgb01 on May 8th, 2014, 02:12am

What a brilliant album!
I have only heard it all the way through twice (it just arrived yesterday).
The material on the second disc is also very strong, it shouldn't really have been an 'extras' disc, it just should have been a double album.
The title track is an immediate favourite, but the stand-out track for me so far is Constellations from disc 2, I love the richness of the Moog sounds.
Superb!

David
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 8th, 2014, 05:34am

on May 8th, 2014, 02:12am, dgb01 wrote:
The material on the second disc is also very strong, it shouldn't really have been an 'extras' disc, it just should have been a double album.

I thought it was meant to be a double album. I'm going to treat it as one regardless. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 8th, 2014, 07:54am

OK, just finished it. Great stuff, and certainly worth the money - but I can't deny that CountingOutTime is right about the vocals; they do become tiresome after a while as the vocalist tries to fill as much of the songs of possible with them. They don't spoil the tracks, but the songs would probably be even better if they had less vocals because the music is so good that they're sometimes not necessary.

I've just heard the entire 102-minute album, and I love how gorgeously dark and ancient it sounds. There are loads of nice parts that mix various genres of music together, and I'm glad I bought it.
Re: IQ
Post by dgb01 on May 8th, 2014, 3:33pm

on May 8th, 2014, 05:34am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
I thought it was meant to be a double album. I'm going to treat it as one regardless. smiley
No.
The single disc version is the proper album (which in this case is disc 1).
The double disc version is the special edition, disc 2 is 'extra' tracks written and recorded at the same time, they felt it was a good idea to release the extra material at the same time.
Many bands wait for a period of time then release special editions (causing their fans to fork out hard earned cash twice for the same album), IQ decided to release the two versions simultaneously to give their fans the choice of which version they prefer.
But on hearing how good the 'extra' tracks were, it should have just been a double album anyway.

David
Re: IQ
Post by Carpet Crawler on May 8th, 2014, 5:56pm

It's reassuring to hear so many positive things about this. I was worried they might be heading for an artificially "darker" direction, with the song titles and album artwork (can't judge a book by its cover though of course). wink

Granted IQ has always had somewhat of a darkness to their sound, but it was never hokey -- in my opinion at least. And they aren't afraid of major keys when the situation calls for them. cheesy

I've got the album and have only heard the first song so far, but will be back once I've gotten time to digest the remainder.
Re: IQ
Post by alfredthegreat on May 9th, 2014, 6:30pm

I'm having an IQ weekend.
I received the double disc set today,so I thought I'd give it my full attention,but first I'll listen to the entire studio catalogue which I have ,starting at Tales from the lush attic and ending with their current release.I'm even going to listen to Nomzamo and Are you sitting comfortably ,which are pretty ordinary IQ.
The shopping,the cleaning ,and tv can wait !
Looking forward to the ride……
Re: IQ
Post by supernatural on May 11th, 2014, 05:17am

What a fantastic album. It could be the best they've done
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on May 11th, 2014, 06:38am

on May 11th, 2014, 05:17am, supernatural wrote:
What a fantastic album. It could be the best they've done


I agree with that. The fact, that they recruited Neil Durant three and a half years ago proves to be a stroke of luck. His contributions to the album are excellent. A worthy partner for Mike Holmes in the song writing department, me thinks.
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 13th, 2014, 7:50pm

on May 11th, 2014, 06:38am, slowdancer wrote:
I agree with that. The fact, that they recruited Neil Durant three and a half years ago proves to be a stroke of luck. His contributions to the album are excellent. A worthy partner for Mike Holmes in the song writing department, me thinks.


Still miss Martin Orford though!

I feel more of an electronic feel to this album. I do love this album. smiley
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on May 14th, 2014, 06:54am

on May 8th, 2014, 3:33pm, dgb01 wrote:
No.
The single disc version is the proper album (which in this case is disc 1).
The double disc version is the special edition, disc 2 is 'extra' tracks written and recorded at the same time, they felt it was a good idea to release the extra material at the same time.
Many bands wait for a period of time then release special editions (causing their fans to fork out hard earned cash twice for the same album), IQ decided to release the two versions simultaneously to give their fans the choice of which version they prefer.
But on hearing how good the 'extra' tracks were, it should have just been a double album anyway.

David


Those 'extra' tracks are the best ones for me so far. Constellations and Ten Million Demons are just brilliant pieces of, quite different, music.
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on May 14th, 2014, 12:55pm

on May 14th, 2014, 06:54am, soldoutfad wrote:
Those 'extra' tracks are the best ones for me so far. Constellations and Ten Million Demons are just brilliant pieces of, quite different, music.


It suits the band quite well, to be a bit more experimental. Constellations has a bit of a feel of Re:Mixed and The Lens. Very well done, indeed.
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on May 14th, 2014, 1:41pm

Ten Million Demons hits all the right spots for me right now - what a track? shocked
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 14th, 2014, 3:49pm

User Image

I don't rate this as highly as their other albums!... sad

There are some good tracks on this, but Pete's vocals appear bland on other tracks!... Just my opinion!... wink
I feel the lack of Martin Orford presence in this album, as he part wrote Frequency with the other members!....
Re: IQ
Post by CountingOutTime on May 14th, 2014, 3:53pm

on May 14th, 2014, 3:49pm, Noni wrote:
User Image

I don't rate this as highly as their other albums!... sad

There are some good tracks on this, but Pete's vocals appear bland on other tracks!... Just my opinion!... wink
I feel the lack of Martin Orford presence in this album, as he part wrote Frequency with the other members!....


I agree with you about the vocals, but the music is fantastic! smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 14th, 2014, 4:00pm

on May 14th, 2014, 3:53pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
I agree with you about the vocals, but the music is fantastic! smiley


Nothing wrong with the music, in fact brilliant!!... So far I rate this 7/10.

I'm glad I got the double album!... smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Marygold on May 15th, 2014, 12:00am

on May 14th, 2014, 3:49pm, Noni wrote:
User Image

I don't rate this as highly as their other albums!... sad


For me personally, 5 out of 10. Suppose, it's their worst studio album since 1993.
Re: IQ
Post by NoSonOfVine on May 15th, 2014, 01:42am

on May 15th, 2014, 12:00am, Marygold wrote:
For me personally, 5 out of 10. Suppose, it's their worst studio album since 1993.

Oh dear... sad
Re: IQ
Post by Marygold on May 15th, 2014, 03:28am

on May 15th, 2014, 01:42am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
Oh dear... sad


In my books:

'Ever' - 9/10
'Subterranea' - 10/10
'The Seventh House' - 10/10
'Dark Matter' - 8/10
'Frequency' - 9/10
The brand new IQ product - only 5 (as I said before).
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on May 15th, 2014, 04:31am

on May 15th, 2014, 12:00am, Marygold wrote:
For me personally, 5 out of 10. Suppose, it's their worst studio album since 1993.


Blimey...bit early to be doing that kind of comparison surely!

We have lived with those earlier albums for some time now whereas the new one has only been out for a few days. The perspective is totally different from where I'm standing.

I can't remember exactly how I felt about those other albums after the first few plays but I do know that my views changed over time. Some stayed with me whilst others didn't. Some took a while to get into whilst others didn't. All very normal.
I do remember getting straight into Dark Matter and having similar feelings towards that album in the early stages, as I do about The Road Of Bones.
Ever took a while to appreciate and in truth it's still not one of my favourites. Subterranea was a similar experience. I find The Wake and Tales From The Lush Attic quite pleasant but not compulsive listening. The Seventh House was easier to get into and, long term, remains one of my favourites. I still find Frequency a bit of a let-down after Dark Matter so I'm viewing The Road Of Bones as something of a return to form.
With my musical taste I guess I'm fortunate because, looking at them all in chronological order, with the exception of Frequency (oh, and the 1987 & 1989 offerings which I have yet to bother with), I'm seeing a steady rise in appeal over the years. grin
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 15th, 2014, 06:58am

on May 15th, 2014, 03:28am, Marygold wrote:
In my books:

'Ever' - 9/10
'Subterranea' - 10/10
'The Seventh House' - 10/10
'Dark Matter' - 8/10
'Frequency' - 9/10
The brand new IQ product - only 5 (as I said before).


Would need to give this a few more listens, but so far it feels the same as Frequency and Dark Matter, a litter dark in the style of their music.
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on May 15th, 2014, 07:04am

on May 15th, 2014, 12:00am, Marygold wrote:
For me personally, 5 out of 10. Suppose, it's their worst studio album since 1993.


I `d be curious to know, what you don`t like about the new album.
Re: IQ
Post by Marygold on May 15th, 2014, 07:12am

on May 15th, 2014, 07:04am, slowdancer wrote:
I `d be curious to know, what you don`t like about the new album.


I think it's less melodic, more sullen and too noisy (compared to all predecessors). huh
Re: IQ
Post by supernatural on May 15th, 2014, 08:57am

I think it's a corker but will have to give it a few more spins to rate it
Re: IQ
Post by SuperTed on May 15th, 2014, 09:36am

At this point in time, I like it but I don't love it - it's a bit too miserable for me.

Ever is still top of the heap AFAIC! cool
Re: IQ
Post by slowdancer on May 15th, 2014, 09:43am

on May 15th, 2014, 07:12am, Marygold wrote:
I think it's less melodic, more sullen and too noisy (compared to all predecessors). huh


Apart from "sullen", these seem to be the same reasons, that got you through with Pendragon. I regret that, but that is your taste, and I accept it. Meanwhile, I would say, that The Road Of Bones has become my favorite IQ album. I do not say that light heartedly. For many years, Subterranea has been my first choice, but The Road Of Bones beats it. The main reasons are fantastic songwriting, real progression in sound and a perfect performance and production.

Different from Noni, I do no longer regret the departure of Martin Orford, although I still appreciate his contributions to IQ highly. But Neil Durant has put his own stamp onto the band`s music. His work on The Road Of Bones cannot be praised highly enough.
Re: IQ
Post by SteveHammond on May 15th, 2014, 10:13am

I received it today, as an anniversary present from my wife. Have played all of CD 1 and the first 2 tracks from CD 2. I like what I've heard so far but it always takes a few plays to really appreciate good music.

I only started collecting IQ's music from Dark Matter, having seen them play at The Robin on that tour. I love that album and Frequency is very close behind, IMHO. I've gone back and bought a few more albums since but those 2 are my favourites.
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 15th, 2014, 12:22pm

on May 15th, 2014, 09:43am, slowdancer wrote:
Apart from "sullen", these seem to be the same reasons, that got you through with Pendragon. I regret that, but that is your taste, and I accept it. Meanwhile, I would say, that The Road Of Bones has become my favorite IQ album. I do not say that light heartedly. For many years, Subterranea has been my first choice, but The Road Of Bones beats it. The main reasons are fantastic songwriting, real progression in sound and a perfect performance and production.

Different from Noni, I do no longer regret the departure of Martin Orford, although I still appreciate his contributions to IQ highly. But Neil Durant has put his own stamp onto the band`s music. His work on The Road Of Bones cannot be praised highly enough.

Martin contributed to a lot of writing, probably why there were lots of arguments in the recording session. I feel this more of a Mike Holmes and the super vocals of Peter Nichols project. Just my opinion. As my previous post, this album is on the harsher side. Don't get me wrong here, there are some greats tracks. More so, on the double album! smiley
Re: IQ
Post by soldoutfad on May 16th, 2014, 05:02am

on May 15th, 2014, 10:13am, SteveHammond wrote:
I received it today, as an anniversary present from my wife. Have played all of CD 1 and the first 2 tracks from CD 2. I like what I've heard so far but it always takes a few plays to really appreciate good music.

I only started collecting IQ's music from Dark Matter, having seen them play at The Robin on that tour. I love that album and Frequency is very close behind, IMHO. I've gone back and bought a few more albums since but those 2 are my favourites.


You need to give that second disk some eartime Steve. I rate it higher than disc 1. How on earth tracks like Constellations and Ten Million Demons could be considered 'bonus material' is quite beyond me! shocked
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 16th, 2014, 09:30am

on May 16th, 2014, 05:02am, soldoutfad wrote:
You need to give that second disk some eartime Steve. I rate it higher than disc 1. How on earth tracks like Constellations and Ten Million Demons could be considered 'bonus material' is quite beyond me! shocked


I agree, this should of been sold as a double album not single. I would never buy an album with less material, always the most!!..... Must be my greedy nature!!.... grin
Re: IQ
Post by SteveHammond on May 16th, 2014, 12:16pm

on May 16th, 2014, 05:02am, soldoutfad wrote:
You need to give that second disk some eartime Steve. I rate it higher than disc 1. How on earth tracks like Constellations and Ten Million Demons could be considered 'bonus material' is quite beyond me! shocked


I played CD 2 today and all of CD 1 again, after that. CD 2 is incredible and the songs you listed were the standout tracks for me too wink
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on May 17th, 2014, 09:37am


Re: IQ
Post by Chessman on May 22nd, 2014, 2:08pm

Just playing this album for the first time. Very impressed so far..... smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Schrottrocker on Jan 30th, 2017, 09:43am

Never heard anything of this band, now I am listening to this on recommendation from a friend and I like what I hear:


Re: IQ
Post by essexboyinwales on Jan 30th, 2017, 11:57am

on Jan 30th, 2017, 09:43am, Schrottrocker wrote:
Never heard anything of this band, now I am listening to this on recommendation from a friend and I like what I hear:



Oh man have you got some catching up to do!! IQ are my favourite band and undoubtably the most consistent that I know, over their whole career. Get everything smiley
Re: IQ
Post by Noni on Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:02am

on Jan 30th, 2017, 11:57am, essexboyinwales wrote:
Oh man have you got some catching up to do!! IQ are my favourite band and undoubtably the most consistent that I know, over their whole career. Get everything smiley


I agree, they've never disappointed me as a band smiley
Re: IQ
Post by NedFlanders on Feb 2nd, 2017, 4:01pm

All IQ fans must get new Blu ray Scrape Across the Sky. Simply stunning.