Board Logo
« HMV Canada to close down »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 26th, 2017, 07:48am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
 thread  Author  Topic: HMV Canada to close down  (Read 368 times)
somsom
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 90
xx HMV Canada to close down
« Thread started on: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:03am »

Sign of times, HMV Canada has gone bankrupt and will be forced to close all its shops in Canada. I think this is pretty sad. Especially for the artists...

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2017/01/27/hmv-in-receivership-stores-to-close-by-apr-30.html
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:04am by somsom » User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10712
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:14am »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 11:03am, somsom wrote:
Sign of times, HMV Canada has gone bankrupt and will be forced to close all its shops in Canada. I think this is pretty sad. Especially for the artists...

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2017/01/27/hmv-in-receivership-stores-to-close-by-apr-30.html


Wow!... shocked That's a big blow.. Now it's all on-line shopping
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:15am by Noni » User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

If you can't see light for darkness, just keep moving and you will come to a better place


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19092
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:59am »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 11:14am, Noni wrote:
Wow!... shocked That's a big blow.. Now it's all on-line shopping


I have been wanting for years now to open my own progressive music store, but as is happening with almost all record shops, it's an uphill battle with everyone (including myself) purchasing their music online. Every time I see a shop available for rent, I envision this cool place for music lovers to hang out, just like my friends and I did back in the day, but I'm afraid those days are gone. I don't know what it would take to bring people into the stores to buy their music. The only thing I can think of is adding a digital option for instant downloads in the store. That may even be happening already in some music stores. I don't know. Sad...
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2017, 11:59am by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

somsom
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 90
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 12:12pm »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 11:59am, CountingOutTime wrote:
I have been wanting for years now to open my own progressive music store, but as is happening with almost all record shops, it's an uphill battle with everyone (including myself) purchasing their music online. Every time I see a shop available for rent, I envision this cool place for music lovers to hang out, just like my friends and I did back in the day, but I'm afraid those days are gone. I don't know what it would take to bring people into the stores to buy their music. The only thing I can think of is adding a digital option for instant downloads in the store. That may even be happening already in some music stores. I don't know. Sad...


Here in Montreal, there are a few old vinyl record shops. They survive because they sell mainly rarities, old blues records, old rock records by forgotten artists. A true haven for music lovers.
User IP Logged

Witchwood
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 2986
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 12:21pm »

One of the pleasures of browsing through a record or CD store is the prospect of uncovering a gem, perhaps a disc that had previously captivated my interest or an album that I had once thought about buying and then forgot about.

You donít get that experience shopping online where the selection is massive but the search is specific.

I have roots in Toronto and whenever I was there to visit family or see a concert, I always made a point of setting aside a couple of hours for an excursion downtown which invariably included a visit to the big HMV store on Yonge Street.
With Sam's and A&A's long gone, it was the last of the big record stores in that Yonge/Dundas area.

The closing of HMV is not hugely surprising - just a continuation of a disappointing trend.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2017, 12:23pm by Witchwood » User IP Logged

Liam
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 1475
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 6:11pm »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 11:59am, CountingOutTime wrote:
I have been wanting for years now to open my own progressive music store, but as is happening with almost all record shops, it's an uphill battle with everyone (including myself) purchasing their music online. Every time I see a shop available for rent, I envision this cool place for music lovers to hang out, just like my friends and I did back in the day, but I'm afraid those days are gone. I don't know what it would take to bring people into the stores to buy their music. The only thing I can think of is adding a digital option for instant downloads in the store. That may even be happening already in some music stores. I don't know. Sad...



I've always wanted to own a record shop like the one you described.

A record shop opened recently near where I live, selling just vinyl, mostly new. I'd be surprised if it lasts long, I hope it does. At the moment it doesn't really have the sort of ambience of record shops I used to like. It's a bit sterile.



User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3495
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 7:11pm »

They need to combine them with a coffee shop type thing to attract people in and get them browsing...
Just an idea I had...
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

If you can't see light for darkness, just keep moving and you will come to a better place


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19092
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28th, 2017, 8:24pm »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 7:11pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
They need to combine them with a coffee shop type thing to attract people in and get them browsing...
Just an idea I had...


Great idea! Nothing over the top. A casual atmosphere. The record shop near us is about 25 miles away, but when I go in they are always playing rap. The only reason I ever go is because they have a nice prog section. The other issue is the price of CDs. I think 16 dollars is too much for a single CD. I usually purchase digital downloads online, which are much cheaper, but you don't get the nice digipak and artwork.
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10712
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29th, 2017, 04:39am »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 8:24pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
Great idea! Nothing over the top. A casual atmosphere. The record shop near us is about 25 miles away, but when I go in they are always playing rap. The only reason I ever go is because they have a nice prog section. The other issue is the price of CDs. I think 16 dollars is too much for a single CD. I usually purchase digital downloads online, which are much cheaper, but you don't get the nice digipak and artwork.


I agree, over the years the collection of cd's is enormous. So digital downloads to me is the answer, why waste all those boxes and boxes full of cases. Yes, it is nice owning the hard copy but the clutter can be awkward.

It does sadden me that now we are living in a world of staying indoors, rather then browsing the shops. As some of you mentioned often you pick up something nice, otherwise would of got forgotten.
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3495
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29th, 2017, 04:50am »

on Jan 29th, 2017, 04:39am, Noni wrote:
I agree, over the years the collection of cd's is enormous. So digital downloads to me is the answer, why waste all those boxes and boxes full of cases. Yes, it is nice owning the hard copy but the clutter can be awkward.


One person's clutter is another's collection...
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

If you can't see light for darkness, just keep moving and you will come to a better place


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19092
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29th, 2017, 10:18am »

on Jan 29th, 2017, 04:50am, Yild4Genesis wrote:
One person's clutter is another's collection...


I've ran out of space in the living room. Two cabinets full that hold 700 CDs each, plus over 2000 digital albums on an external hard drive. There's just nowhere to store them all as actual CDs. Not that my wife would allow me anyway. grin
User IP Logged

HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6456
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30th, 2017, 10:35am »

on Jan 28th, 2017, 11:03am, somsom wrote:
Sign of times, HMV Canada has gone bankrupt and will be forced to close all its shops in Canada. I think this is pretty sad. Especially for the artists...

The writing has been on the wall for about ten years. I'm actually surprised that they stuck around for this long.

The flagship store in Toronto used to have incredible jazz and classical CD sections. Then about 10 years ago those started to shrink, while video stuff slowly started to take over the store.

One nice big store near here closed down without warning about five years ago, and the HMV store in the mall down the road moved from a nice large space to one less than half the size around the same time.

These days HMV has stocked mainly DVDs and Blu-rays, loads of crappy merchandise, and a limited amount of CDs, with selection varying from store to store. In some stores you could still find interesting titles, in others it was just a bunch of crap.

So, not a big loss as far as I'm concerned, although I do feel sorry for the employees who will out of a job. (Except for that one guy that kept bothering me during one visit recently.)

Think I'll hit the mall at lunchtime and pick up a few blu-rays...


« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2017, 10:36am by HENRY » User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6456
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30th, 2017, 3:46pm »

on Jan 30th, 2017, 10:35am, HENRY wrote:
Think I'll hit the mall at lunchtime and pick up a few blu-rays...

Score! Four blu-rays and a couple of CDs. grin

Probably go back again next week. cool
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10712
xx Re: HMV Canada to close down
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30th, 2017, 3:54pm »

on Jan 30th, 2017, 3:46pm, HENRY wrote:
Score! Four blu-rays and a couple of CDs. grin

Probably go back again next week. cool


Cool!... cool
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls