Board Logo
« RIP David Bowie »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2017, 02:54am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: RIP David Bowie  (Read 2622 times)
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11th, 2016, 9:41pm »

on Jan 11th, 2016, 9:07pm, FeelItComing wrote:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/david-bowie-dead-inner-circle-kept-killer-cancer-a-secret-20160112-gm3u0a.html


The article confirms he kept his illness a secret from fans which is not in dispute. The " to maximise the impact of his death" bit is what I find strange..
It conjures images of deliberately using his death as some sort of contrived act as opposed to him keeping it a secret for the mere fact he wanted to keep his family's privacy.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2016, 9:43pm by Yild4Genesis » User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2321
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 04:15am »

on Jan 11th, 2016, 5:25pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
Where did you hear that? Seems strange to me

Not strange at all - for him. You can piece it together from the lyrics & videos for “Blackstar” especially the song “Lazarus” & from what its producer Tony Visconti has said. I’m hardly the only person to think this - Jarvis Cocker even said it live on air while I was making that post! And here’s further confirmation:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12092542/Bowies-last-album-was-parting-gift-for-fans-in-carefully-planned-finale.html

Agreed, part of the reason he kept the cancer secret must have been to preserve his family’s privacy. But this is Bowie, the consummate artist who spent his life surprising us by changing. So much of his life was a performance that it makes sense that once he knew his time was limited he’d plan his death to be one too, & for that it had to be unexpected. He couldn’t plan exactly when he’d die, but if anyone could have hung on to life by sheer willpower in time for the album to be completed & released, it was him. He couldn’t escape death but he used it for his own ends - how many other people can do that? Massive respect to him!
User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 05:01am »

on Jan 11th, 2016, 9:07pm, FeelItComing wrote:
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/david-bowie-dead-inner-circle-kept-killer-cancer-a-secret-20160112-gm3u0a.html


Yes,he kept his illness a secret, and that article talks about that but nowhere does it say he did so to "maximize" the impact of his death.

I respect him wanting to keep it a secret but I think it's quite a stretch to think that was the reason why he did.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4083
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 05:11am »

Was shocked to wake up to this news yesterday. I've been really getting into a lot of Bowie's work recently.

Here's a beautiful tribute from Rick Wakeman:

User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7500
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 07:18am »

on Jan 11th, 2016, 9:41pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
The article confirms he kept his illness a secret from fans which is not in dispute. The " to maximise the impact of his death" bit is what I find strange..
It conjures images of deliberately using his death as some sort of contrived act as opposed to him keeping it a secret for the mere fact he wanted to keep his family's privacy.


Yes, sounds rather cruel to me. I'll go with the fact he wanted privacy.

Not a big fan, but liked some of his songs.

R I P David. sad
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

NedFlanders
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5157
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 07:37am »

Been a die hard fan since 1970 and own virtually everything he recorded. Had the haircut in early 70s, saw him in 73 and devastated to hear that he has gone. A true legend in music, art and fashion and I will never see his like again. The world of pop and rock is a poorer place for his passing.
User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2321
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 08:00am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 05:01am, ericm wrote:
Yes,he kept his illness a secret, and that article talks about that but nowhere does it say he did so to "maximize" the impact of his death.

I respect him wanting to keep it a secret but I think it's quite a stretch to think that was the reason why he did.


on Jan 12th, 2016, 07:18am, Squigelyfox wrote:
Yes, sounds rather cruel to me. I'll go with the fact he wanted privacy.

I really think you’re missing something essential about him which helped make him the phenomenon he was.

As a great performance artist he seized the opportunity to give a truly memorable final performance. He aimed to surprise us all for one last time, & if we’d known he had cancer we’d have been less surprised. In 2013 his “The Next Day” album made headlines worldwide because it was completely unannounced. Much of the reason Elvis’s, John Lennon’s & Michael Jackson’s deaths had such an impact was because they were unexpected. He was given the chance to go out with a similar big bang, & if he hadn’t risen to that challenge he’d have been an ordinary person. But he wasn’t. He was Bowie.
User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 10:38am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 08:00am, boredatwork wrote:
I really think you’re missing something essential about him which helped make him the phenomenon he was.

As a great performance artist he seized the opportunity to give a truly memorable final performance. He aimed to surprise us all for one last time, & if we’d known he had cancer we’d have been less surprised. In 2013 his “The Next Day” album made headlines worldwide because it was completely unannounced. Much of the reason Elvis’s, John Lennon’s & Michael Jackson’s deaths had such an impact was because they were unexpected. He was given the chance to go out with a similar big bang, & if he hadn’t risen to that challenge he’d have been an ordinary person. But he wasn’t. He was Bowie.


You're correct about his greatness and uniqueness but I think you're reaching big time with him keeping his illness quiet in order to make his death more impactful.

I don't think it's nearly the same thing to keep the making of an album quiet until release and keeping an illness quiet. I'd say it was probably more a pride thing and not wanting sympathy or people feeling bad for him. Plus simply just wanting privacy for himself and his family.

Having dealt with illness in my own family one of the main things they all had in common was just wanting to be treated normally. No muss, no fuss. They knew they were sick, and what they needed to do. They didn't need everyone knowing they were sick and treating them as such. Even though people mean well, it was being reminded of their illness they didn't want. I'd bet Bowie felt similarly.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2321
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:24am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 10:38am, ericm wrote:
You're correct about his greatness and uniqueness but I think you're reaching big time with him keeping his illness quiet in order to make his death more impactful.

I don't think it's nearly the same thing to keep the making of an album quiet until release and keeping an illness quiet. I'd say it was probably more a pride thing and not wanting sympathy or people feeling bad for him. Plus simply just wanting privacy for himself and his family.

Having dealt with illness in my own family one of the main things they all had in common was just wanting to be treated normally. No muss, no fuss. They knew they were sick, and what they needed to do. They didn't need everyone knowing they were sick and treating them as such. Even though people mean well, it was being reminded of their illness they didn't want. I'd bet Bowie felt similarly.

I’m sure all those considerations about wanting privacy for his family & minimal fuss over his illness were also true, but why should he have only that one motive? As Tony Visconti said: “His death was no different from his life - a work of Art.” i.e. his death was in part a choreographed performance. To say he didn’t deliberately exploit the secrecy surrounding his illness (even if that secrecy was imposed by the need for privacy) to heighten the effect of his demise is to underestimate him as a great performer.
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19179
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:36am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 11:24am, boredatwork wrote:
I’m sure all those considerations about wanting privacy for his family & minimal fuss over his illness were also true, but why should he have only that one motive? As Tony Visconti said: “His death was no different from his life - a work of Art.” i.e. his death was in part a choreographed performance. To say he didn’t deliberately exploit the secrecy surrounding his illness (even if that secrecy was imposed by the need for privacy) to heighten the effect of his demise is to underestimate him as a great performer.


I agree with you. After hearing the new album and seeing his "Lazarus" video, I too have come to the conclusion that the secrecy behind his dying was multifold. He certainly would not have wanted his fans to mourn him for the 18-month period of his dying, and the fact that he hid his recording sessions from his label also eludes to the fact that this was leading up to the album being a final performance by someone the likes of whom we will never witness again.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:41am by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5048
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:38am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 05:01am, ericm wrote:
Yes,he kept his illness a secret, and that article talks about that but nowhere does it say he did so to "maximize" the impact of his death.

I respect him wanting to keep it a secret but I think it's quite a stretch to think that was the reason why he did.


Perhaps the phrase "maximize the impact of his death" is a little over the top, but given the timing of the release, the words of the song, and the fact he knew it was coming for 18 months, it seems clear that he wanted the album to hit the streets just as he was about to leave them. All manner of speculation can abound about it all, but I think he may have felt that, as he knew his death would matter to a lot of people, at least he could leave them a goodbye present when he went.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:40am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 11:24am, boredatwork wrote:
I’m sure all those considerations about wanting privacy for his family & minimal fuss over his illness were also true, but why should he have only that one motive? As Tony Visconti said: “His death was no different from his life - a work of Art.” i.e. his death was in part a choreographed performance. To say he didn’t deliberately exploit the secrecy surrounding his illness (even if that secrecy was imposed by the need for privacy) to heighten the effect of his demise is to underestimate him as a great performer.


Because to me when it boils right down to it he was human. His talent and performances were part of him but to think that was the biggest part would
be minimizing his personal side, his family and loved ones. By all accounts he was a pretty great guy and I have a hard time thinking he put his professional side and ego above them.

I don't think this was choreographed to be some great farewell performance. To me that would actually diminish his human, personal side.

Different strokes, and we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Dr. John
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 674
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:46am »

Bowie knew he was dying, so I'm sure he had to think about whether to let that information be public and if so, when. Although privacy may have been one consideration, I would be very surprised if he did not carefully reflect on what impact artistically such news would have at different points. The video for Lazarus in particular shows how consciously he was using his imminent death to add meaning to his art. It wouldn't be a case of him being manipulative or using his death in a contrived manner; it would be simply be him being very thoughtful about how his death would affect how people experience his last artistic work. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were multiple considerations going into when he wanted people to know about his illness.

Certainly for me, his death adds incredible poignance to this final album.
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:48am by Dr. John » User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 11:50am »

on Jan 12th, 2016, 11:36am, CountingOutTime wrote:
I agree with you. After hearing the new album and seeing his "Lazarus" video, I too have come to the conclusion that the secrecy behind his dying was multifold. He certainly would not have wanted his fans to mourn him for the 18-month period of his dying, and the fact that he hid his recording sessions from his label also eludes to the fact that this was leading up to the album being a final performance by someone the likes of whom we will never witness again.


This I can get on board with. I can see him wanting to possibly maximize the albums impact. I can't see however him wanting to maximize his death's impact.

As for his fans mourning for 18 months, I'm not so sure about that. IMO, it's more about him wanting to keep things as normal as possible and not wanting the pity, sympathies or reminders during his battle.

Surely the shock of his death hit his fans hard, and if they were a consideration maybe a little something would've been put out there in his final days so fans could've been a little more prepared? The way it went, I'm not convinced the fans were part of his thinking at all, beyond the release of the album. JMHO.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Mia
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Proud Banksian/Hacketteer!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 822
xx Re: RIP David Bowie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12th, 2016, 1:58pm »

Absolutely devastating news.... cry
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls