Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 21st, 2018, 9:19pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 5350 times)
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #90 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:42pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 2:54pm, Nov wrote:
I have seen that CoT

Fantastic, eh?





By the way, Nov, what's your opinion on the DVD - Meet The Flower Kings? I presume it's the visual equivalent of the album?
I have read somewhere that you can't see, or hear the audience much. Is that true? (Not that it bothers me as long as the performances are up to scratch)
Anyways, is it worth having?
(Yes, I know, another silly question, but I have to ask!) smiley
User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #91 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 7:54pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 6:42pm, Chessman wrote:
By the way, Nov, what's your opinion on the DVD - Meet The Flower Kings? I presume it's the visual equivalent of the album?
I have read somewhere that you can't see, or hear the audience much. Is that true? (Not that it bothers me as long as the performances are up to scratch)
Anyways, is it worth having?
(Yes, I know, another silly question, but I have to ask!) smiley


Oh Carl - Just buy it, it's totally wonderful!!

It's performed in front of a small, invited, studio audience so hasn't got the live atmosphere of "Instant Delivery" but it's absolutely worth having to see live performances of many of their very best epics.

In short, I love it.

User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #92 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 5:55pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 7:54pm, Nov wrote:
Oh Carl - Just buy it, it's totally wonderful!!

It's performed in front of a small, invited, studio audience so hasn't got the live atmosphere of "Instant Delivery" but it's absolutely worth having to see live performances of many of their very best epics.

In short, I love it.



So is that a recommendation then? wink grin

User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19352
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #93 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:34pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 7:54pm, Nov wrote:
Oh Carl - Just buy it, it's totally wonderful!!

It's performed in front of a small, invited, studio audience so hasn't got the live atmosphere of "Instant Delivery" but it's absolutely worth having to see live performances of many of their very best epics.

In short, I love it.



Agree completely, Nov. I love it more than Instant Delivery in fact.
User IP Logged

squonknikki
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 3386
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #94 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:34pm »

on Mar 21st, 2007, 7:54pm, Nov wrote:
Oh Carl - Just buy it, it's totally wonderful!!

In short, I love it.


Chessman! How did we know he was going to say that!! wink
Just ordered Retropolis and Back In The World Of Adventures so am very happy woman! grin
Sorry, young lady as you so brilliantly put it! wink laugh kiss

Can i just say that Rumble Fish Twist is brilliant!
It's right up my street and in the door! wink
Love it!!!
User IP Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in totally exhausted and yelling: Holy shit, what a ride!

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #95 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:56pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:34pm, squonknikki wrote:
Chessman! How did we know he was going to say that!! wink
Just ordered Retropolis and Back In The World Of Adventures so am very happy woman! grin
Sorry, young lady as you so brilliantly put it! wink laugh kiss

Can i just say that Rumble Fish Twist is brilliant!
It's right up my street and in the door! wink
Love it!!!


Thought you would like that one. It's one of my fave instrumentals by TFK. Absolutely brilliant indeed, from the early stages of ferocious technicality, right through to the wonderful slow, atmospheric and melodic ending. It's right up my alley too. Love it! (Sorry to rob your comment, YOUNG LADY!) grin

Oh, a question for you in your official capacity as Florence Nightingale - is there a cure for ferocious technicality, if caught in the early stages? Hmm?
Just wondered....
wink
User IP Logged

squonknikki
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 3386
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #96 on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 7:39pm »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:56pm, Chessman wrote:
Oh, a question for you in your official capacity as Florence Nightingale - is there a cure for ferocious technicality, if caught in the early stages? Hmm?
Just wondered....
wink

Ferocious technicality eh............ Hmmm!?
Well there have been lots of papers written about this incredibly infectious condition! laugh
Some schools of thought favour the 'more of the same' approach! Same as hair of the dog but without the Rottweiler! laugh laugh Just play Rumble Fish Twist 20 times a day! smiley
The other popular treatment is lots of Germolene and a hot water bottle, go completely to the other end of the musical spectrum and sit in a darkened room listening to Jesus He Knows Me all night!
Me ...... i just dream of Hasse and his vocals!
That doesn't work though as he gets me all in a frenzy!!! wink kiss
Hope this helps!!! smiley
User IP Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in totally exhausted and yelling: Holy shit, what a ride!

gooner265
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1240
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #97 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:30am »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:34pm, squonknikki wrote:
Chessman! How did we know he was going to say that!! wink
Just ordered Retropolis and Back In The World Of Adventures so am very happy woman! grin
Sorry, young lady as you so brilliantly put it! wink laugh kiss

Can i just say that Rumble Fish Twist is brilliant!
It's right up my street and in the door! wink
Love it!!!


Toatally agree Nikki it's my favourite FK instrumental so far ( although I only have UTF and Space Revolver) .Oh Hang on PH has just come through my door , looks like I am in for a busy afternoon grin
User IP Logged

Gigs 2011


Face Value - Birmingham 19/03
Blackfield - Shepherds Bush 08/04
Big Country - Shepherds Bush 15/04
British Pink Floyd - Albert Hall 20/04
Riverside - London La Scala 16/05
Roger Waters - O2 Arena 18/05
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19352
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #98 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:35am »

on Mar 22nd, 2007, 6:34pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
Agree completely, Nov. I love it more than Instant Delivery in fact.


User Image

Just watched Instant Delivery again, and I guess the third time's the charm. The band's performance finally clicked. Don't know what it was, but the first two times I watched it, I just couldn't get into it.

I believe that I had a mental hangup about losing Zoltan as drummer for the band. Marcus didn't seem to have what Zoltan brought to the table. Watching the DVD last night, I realized that they're two completely different types of drummers.

Zoltan has a great jazz influence in his playing and can fill any void in the music with improvisation, whereas Marcus is a rock and roll drummer - no frills - and this allows the rest of the band members to shine a bit more.

I do miss Daniel Gildenlow and Hasse Bruniusson though. They really fill out TFK's sound onstage. After accepting these changes in the band's lineup, and now realizing that the band is a kind of stripped-down version of TFK, I thoroughly enjoyed my third viewing.

I still like MEET THE FLOWER KINGS better than INSTANT DELIVERY for the reasons noted above, but can now at least appreciate INSTANT DELIVERY for what it is - a wonderful TFK performance by a generous and very talented group of musicians.

User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #99 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:17pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:35am, CountingOutTime wrote:
Just watched Instant Delivery again, and I guess the third time's the charm. The band's performance finally clicked.


That's great CoT !


Quote:
I believe that I had a mental hangup about losing Zoltan as drummer for the band. Marcus didn't seem to have what Zoltan brought to the table. Watching the DVD last night, I realized that they're two completely different types of drummers.


It's always difficult to accept a new member into one of your favourite groups. I too was disappointed when Zoltan left (and devastated when Neal left Spock's Beard cry) but I'd already seen Markus play with the band when they "road tested" him on the instrumental "Circus Brimstone" tour. I thought he was excellent.

Let's face it, if Roine thinks TFK need a different kind of drummer then that's the bottom line. Jonas looks happier playing with Markus than he ever did with Zoltan.

I hope Markus stays with the band for the foreseeable future now but I think maybe the drummers slot is the only one in TFK that is a bit more interchangeable. I've reached the point with The Flower Kings now that if Hasse, Jonas or Tomas left, I'd be as devasted as I was with Neal leaving SB. They are all such stars to me and so important to the TFK sound and magic. Roine absolutely couldn't leave of course. That's be like Genesis without Tony Banks.


Quote:
Zoltan has a great jazz influence in his playing and can fill any void in the music with improvisation, whereas Marcus is a rock and roll drummer - no frills - and this allows the rest of the band members to shine a bit more.


That's it in a nut-shell but I would add that he is extraordinarily good at doing it.


Quote:
I do miss Daniel Gildenlow and Hasse Bruniusson though. They really fill out TFK's sound onstage.


Not that TFK actually need their sound filling out. They have the most incredible live wall-of-sound since mid-70s Genesis in my opinion, especially when Jonas kicks those bass-pedals into action!!


Quote:
I still like MEET THE FLOWER KINGS better than INSTANT DELIVERY for the reasons noted above, but can now at least appreciate INSTANT DELIVERY for what it is - a wonderful TFK performance by a generous and very talented group of musicians.


On Instant Delivery, It's great to see the band actually getting some real and genuine adulation in front of a large (for them) and appreciative audience. I'd love to see them be able to play a tour of nice theatres to 2 or 3000 people a night with great sound and a superb light show. They so deserve it.


I love that picture by the way. Nice one. If I was a girl I'd have that on my bedroom wall grin

(maybe Nikki will wink)



« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:24pm by Nov » User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19352
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #100 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:18pm »

User Image

I've mentioned somewhere on this board that Kaipa's MindRevolutions CD was getting bad reviews for the vocals, but that the music was great.

Well, I've had this album on steady rotation in my truck for awhile now, and it's grown on me so much that I can't take it out of the CD player.

Aleena's vocals are almost seductive. I originally compared them to Alanis Morissette whom I can't stand, and I do still think she sounds a lot like her, but Aleena's got a very fragile tenderness in her voice that I'm really growing accustomed to.

Plus Jonas Reingold and Roine Stolt are heard quite prominently, which in and of itself makes this a keeper.

Don't let these audio samples fool you, the album is full of wonderful instrumental passages - no vocals - which are mesmerizing.

SHADOWS OF TIME - KAIPA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0009A6N70001003/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/105-6415892-8882001

DEEPEST INNER SHORE - KAIPA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0009A6N70001008/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_008/105-6415892-8882001

ELECTRIC LEAVES - KAIPA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0009A6N70001002/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_002/105-6415892-8882001

TIMEBOMB - KAIPA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0009A6N70001009/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_009/105-6415892-8882001

User Image

Tangent's A Place In The Queue is another new addition to my collection that I can't get enough of. Tangent sometimes sound like Tull, then ELP, very 1970s. Love this album. Roine is here again as well.

Lost In London- TANGENT
http://media.theomegarecords.com/1/The%20Tangent_APlaceInTheQueue_2.mp3

DIY Surgery - TANGENT
http://media.theomegarecords.com/1/The%20Tangent_APlaceInTheQueue_3.mp3

GPS Culture - TANGENT
http://po90.com/tangent/media/gps%20culture.mp3

In Earnest- TANGENT
http://po90.com/tangent/media/in%20earnest.mp3

The Queue - TANGENT
http://po90.com/tangent/media/the%20queue.mp3

Follow Your Leaders - TANGENT
http://po90.com/tangent/media/follow%20your%20leaders.mp3
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:30pm by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #101 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:31pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 1:17pm, Nov wrote:
That's great CoT !




It's always difficult to accept a new member into one of your favourite groups. I too was disappointed when Zoltan left (and devastated when Neal left Spock's Beard cry) but I'd already seen Markus play with the band when they "road tested" him on the instrumental "Circus Brimstone" tour. I thought he was excellent.

Let's face it, if Roine thinks TFK need a different kind of drummer then that's the bottom line. Jonas looks happier playing with Markus than he ever did with Zoltan.

I hope Markus stays with the band for the foreseeable future now but I think maybe the drummers slot is the only one in TFK that is a bit more interchangeable. I've reached the point with The Flower Kings now that if Hasse, Jonas or Tomas left, I'd be as devasted as I was with Neal leaving SB. They are all such stars to me and so important to the TFK sound and magic. Roine absolutely couldn't leave of course. That's be like Genesis without Tony Banks.




That's it in a nut-shell but I would add that he is extraordinarily good at doing it.




Not that TFK actually need their sound filling out. They have the most incredible live wall-of-sound since mid-70s Genesis in my opinion, especially when Jonas kicks those bass-pedals into action!!




On Instant Delivery, It's great to see the band actually getting some real and genuine adulation in front of a large (for them) and appreciative audience. I'd love to see them be able to play a tour of nice theatres to 2 or 3000 people a night with great sound and a superb light show. They so deserve it.


I love that picture by the way. Nice one. If I was a girl I'd have that on my bedroom wall grin

(maybe Nikki will wink)





Bugger the fact of being a girl or not, I would have it on the wall instantly if I saw it as a poster!
But as for Nikki, she would undoubtedly deface it and pin Hasse on the wall all on his lonesome! wink

I agree with what you say about seeing TFK playing nice theatres to a couple thousand fans or so. Large enough to be spectacular, small enough to be intimate; the perfect setting really! smiley
User IP Logged

squonknikki
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 3386
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #102 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:47pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:35am, CountingOutTime wrote:
User Image

Crikey COT! Have to give a girl a bit of warning before you post stuff like this! wink kiss
Something like 'Incredibly talented gorgeous Swedish blokes alert' or something similar should do it!!! grin
Hey didn't we have this on the old place when Nov posted a Scarlet Johanssen pic and Steve got all in a frenzy!!! wink
Edit!!! Just checked! It was Carpet Crawler! Sorry Steve! wink
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 8:00pm by squonknikki » User IP Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in totally exhausted and yelling: Holy shit, what a ride!

squonknikki
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 3386
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #103 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:48pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:31pm, Chessman wrote:
But as for Nikki, she would undoubtedly deface it and pin Hasse on the wall all on his lonesome! wink

I know, i'm such a vandal! shocked wink
User IP Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in totally exhausted and yelling: Holy shit, what a ride!

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #104 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:44pm »

on Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:47pm, squonknikki wrote:
Hey didn't we have this on the old place when Nov posted a Scarlet Johanssen pic and Steve got all in a frenzy!!! wink


What? Like this.......

User Image

Nice sofa wink

Hey - page 8 already and also this most popular thread in this section cheesy

Let's keep it going guys. There's plenty of stuff happening in the TFK camp this year and loads more images of Scarlet on a google search so lots to keep us going laugh





« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:47pm by Nov » User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls