Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 21st, 2018, 9:19pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 349 350 351  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 5337 times)
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19352
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5220 on: Sep 11th, 2012, 12:07pm »

on Sep 11th, 2012, 11:55am, Nov wrote:
Ha! I love that but probably because I enjoyed the Paradox Hotel tour much more than the Sum Of No Evil one wink



Oh yes, you privileged few who've seen TFK not just once, but multiple times. Share the wealth, will ya wink

If only I'd known of TFK back in 2005. They played in Whittier at CalProg, and then again in October 2006 for An Evening With The Flower Kings.
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5221 on: Sep 12th, 2012, 3:05pm »

Thoroughly enjoying Hasse's Powerplay album. Very refreshing sound with the unmistakable voxs. cool

Completely different from "Future Past" which equally brilliant in other ways. cool

Gotta love these FK guys cheesy
User IP Logged

Paloma
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

The Lamb rules!


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 16607
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5222 on: Sep 12th, 2012, 3:39pm »

on Sep 12th, 2012, 3:05pm, demolition man wrote:
Thoroughly enjoying Hasse's Powerplay album. Very refreshing sound with the unmistakable voxs. cool

Completely different from "Future Past" which equally brilliant in other ways. cool

Gotta love these FK guys cheesy


They played last night in Madrid, shame you couldn't see them!
User IP Logged

Live and let live.
supernatural
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4208
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5223 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 06:59am »

Is anyone going to watch them at Holmfirth?
User IP Logged

if he wants you to snuff it..........
demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5224 on: Sep 13th, 2012, 12:15pm »

On repeat in the car: Church Of Your Heart cool
User IP Logged

soldoutfad
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Going blank again...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1287
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5225 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:09am »

on Sep 7th, 2012, 03:01am, gooner265 wrote:
I tried again yesterday Ned and it just doesn't grab me , however the second side has some great tracks especially the wonderful Stupid Girl.


Agree with you about Flower Power Paul.
A lot of tracks (most of them mercifully short) - but not much content when it comes down to it!
The first disc is largely a waste of space apart from the very last track - Astral Dog, which is quite sublime and just about manages to make up for the 50-odd minutes you have wasted listening to the rest of the twaddle on there.
Disc two is no better but it does have two listenable tracks - Deaf, Numb & Blind and the superb Stupid Girl.
Flower Power is one of those albums that iPlayer was made for. You can just listen to the good stuff and leave all the shite un-ticked. grin

Good grief!...I've just tried to listen to the rest of the album in the middle of typing this, for fear of missing something! tongue I'd quite forgotten how the Flower Kings drive me mad with their crazy mix of brilliance and utter, utter shite!
I mean, who would seriously dream of putting the tracks mentioned above on the same disk as the likes of Psycedelic Postcard and Hudson River Sirens Call ? (both strong candidates for the worst piece of music ever created by TFK)
Hudson River is the listener's 'reward' for getting through the previous nine minutes of pathetic drivel and what a miserable reward it is!
I can honestly think of few things I would not rather listen to than Hudson River.
Bavarian Skies comes close I suppose.

...glad to get that of my chest grin
User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5226 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:26am »

Here's the whole concert from Switzerland a few days ago in good quality (audio only):



smiley

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:27am by Nov » User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5227 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:50am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 05:09am, soldoutfad wrote:
Agree with you about Flower Power Paul.
A lot of tracks (most of them mercifully short) - but not much content when it comes down to it!
The first disc is largely a waste of space apart from the very last track - Astral Dog, which is quite sublime and just about manages to make up for the 50-odd minutes you have wasted listening to the rest of the twaddle on there.
Disc two is no better but it does have two listenable tracks - Deaf, Numb & Blind and the superb Stupid Girl.
Flower Power is one of those albums that iPlayer was made for. You can just listen to the good stuff and leave all the shite un-ticked. grin

Good grief!...I've just tried to listen to the rest of the album in the middle of typing this, for fear of missing something! tongue I'd quite forgotten how the Flower Kings drive me mad with their crazy mix of brilliance and utter, utter shite!
I mean, who would seriously dream of putting the tracks mentioned above on the same disk as the likes of Psycedelic Postcard and Hudson River Sirens Call ? (both strong candidates for the worst piece of music ever created by TFK)
Hudson River is the listener's 'reward' for getting through the previous nine minutes of pathetic drivel and what a miserable reward it is!
I can honestly think of few things I would not rather listen to than Hudson River.
Bavarian Skies comes close I suppose.

...glad to get that of my chest grin

huh

Wow Fraser - this is pretty strong stuff and all I can say is that in my opinion, you are completely missing something with Flower Power undecided

Remember, for many (including Nikki, Carl, etc) Flower Power is their favourite Flower Kings album and in Carl's case, his joint favourite all-time album with The Lamb. I'm not saying that this means that you should like it as well but just maybe you need to take a step back from it and give it a bit more time or try and understand what other people love about it.

It's certainly a top 3 TFK album for me and Garden Of Dreams is a top 5 track. To me, it's 60 minutes of prog wonder and I just cannot see or understand why you think it's "a waste of space" and "twaddle". Honestly, I am flabbergasted by your opinion.

Is this really "twaddle"? For me, it's as moving, powerful and emotional as the end of Supper's Ready or Awaken:



However, I do agree with you about "Bavarian Skies" and I do still luv ya mate kiss grin

Looking forward to seeing you next Saturday in Leamington when we can share a drink, and TFK and maybe a punch-up over "Flower Power" grin

wink

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:50am by Nov » User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5228 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 05:51am »

on Sep 13th, 2012, 06:59am, supernatural wrote:
Is anyone going to watch them at Holmfirth?

Most of the gang here are going to Leamington and/or London.

I can't make Holmfirth but I think Steve (Lucius) is going.

Have a great time smiley
User IP Logged

Gabble Ratchet
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 19215
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5229 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 06:25am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 05:50am, Nov wrote:
huh

Wow Fraser - this is pretty strong stuff and all I can say is that in my opinion, you are completely missing something with Flower Power undecided



Nov, I think you're missing the fact that we all have differing tastes! wink smiley


« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 06:27am by Gabble Ratchet » User IP Logged

Make the most of all you still have coming to you!
Do as you would be done by!
Don't get mad, get even!
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5230 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 06:38am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 06:25am, Gabble Ratchet wrote:
Nov, I think you're missing the fact that we all have differing tastes! wink smiley

Totally agree but (to me) Flower Power isn't that much of a leap from other Flower Kings albums. It's just a bit more challenging but pays off in spades once you get into it.

To me, what Fraser said is exactly like someone saying that they love A Trick Of The Tail but think The Lamb is "utter shite" and that The Waiting Room is "six minutes of pathetic drivel" (for example).

Anyway, it's not a big issue, just confusing for me and we'll be sharing a few beers next Saturday and laughing about it smiley

User IP Logged

Gabble Ratchet
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 19215
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5231 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 06:46am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 06:38am, Nov wrote:
Totally agree but (to me) Flower Power isn't that much of a leap from other Flower Kings albums. It's just a bit more challenging but pays off in spades once you get into it.

To me, what Fraser said is exactly like someone saying that they love A Trick Of The Tail but think The Lamb is "utter shite" and that The Waiting Room is "six minutes of pathetic drivel" (for example).


I think that The Lamb is quite a leap from Trick.

I can't comment much on TFK CDs. Although I have a few copies (thanks to Colin and your good self wink) I get them all mixed up, plus I don't know the track listings because I can't seem to retain anything anymore! grin

Quote:
Anyway, it's not a big issue, just confusing for me and we'll be sharing a few beers next Saturday and laughing about it smiley



Blimey Nov, for a minute I thought I was back in Halesowen! Just returned after dodging the Big Issue seller yet again! wink grin
User IP Logged

Make the most of all you still have coming to you!
Do as you would be done by!
Don't get mad, get even!
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5232 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 08:33am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 06:38am, Nov wrote:
To me, what Fraser said is exactly like someone saying that they love A Trick Of The Tail but think The Lamb is "utter shite" and that The Waiting Room is "six minutes of pathetic drivel" (for example).

Obviously I love both TLLDOB and ATOTT but I think they sound quite different from one another, so can understand somebody liking one but not the other.

P.S. Only just noticed that Lesley said something similar:

on Sep 15th, 2012, 06:46am, Gabble Ratchet wrote:
I think that The Lamb is quite a leap from Trick.


« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 08:34am by Down And Out » User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5233 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 10:03am »

on Sep 15th, 2012, 06:38am, Nov wrote:
Totally agree but (to me) Flower Power isn't that much of a leap from other Flower Kings albums. It's just a bit more challenging but pays off in spades once you get into it.

To me, what Fraser said is exactly like someone saying that they love A Trick Of The Tail but think The Lamb is "utter shite" and that The Waiting Room is "six minutes of pathetic drivel" (for example).

Anyway, it's not a big issue, just confusing for me and we'll be sharing a few beers next Saturday and laughing about it smiley



And, as many of you know, The Lamb and ATOTT are my two favourite Genesis albums, though they are quite different from each other!
I too am a bit surprised by Fraser's 'outburst' but, at the end of the day, it's all down to personal taste - one man's meat etc.
I personally love both Pyschedelic Postcard and Hudson River Siren's Call, but, obviously, they're not for everyone. Funnily enough, my least favourite track on disc two - though it's still a great track - is Deaf, Numb and Blind. Many others rate it their favourite of course.
Disc one has what could, I suppose, be called 'filler' in the shape of Captain Capstan and Ikea By Night, but they're just fun things that lead into the magnificent Astral Dog - not necessary but not detrimental either, imo.
Oh well, each to their own...
cheesy
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 10:04am by Chessman » User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
question Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #5234 on: Sep 15th, 2012, 11:56am »

Super super band.

I've been playing a lot of TFKs recently after a long time of not playing any at all.

I keep coming back to the 1997/8 albums as the best although I do very much like the albums that came a whole 9-10 years later! cool
« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2012, 11:58am by demolition man » User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 349 350 351  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls