Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 24th, 2018, 07:47am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 5933 times)
demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3300 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 5:55pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 5:38pm, demolition man wrote:
Right in the middle of playing Tomas Bodin's: An Ordinary Night In My Ordinary Life cool




Seriously good album......

had to be said wink
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3301 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 5:56pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 5:38pm, demolition man wrote:
Right in the middle of playing Tomas Bodin's: An Ordinary Night In My Ordinary Life cool


Strange title for an album but,

Awesome music......Mal, you'd love this mate grin cheesy


No seriously... tongue The track "Ballerina From Beyond" is fantastic!!!!! cool


Definitely a winning bunch of tunes, for sure, Colin cool
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3302 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 6:04pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 5:38pm, demolition man wrote:
Right in the middle of playing Tomas Bodin's: An Ordinary Night In My Ordinary Life cool


Strange title for an album but,

Awesome music......Mal, you'd love this mate grin cheesy


No seriously... tongue The track "Ballerina From Beyond" is fantastic!!!!! cool


It's a fabulous album, isn't it Col?
'Three Stories' is a great way to finish off, and I also like 'In The Land Of The Pumpkins'.
But the whole album is wonderful. wink
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3303 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 6:16pm »

Colin, I hope you also have "Sonic Boulevard" and "Pinup Guru." These albums are so great, in addition to AONIMOL, that they are spun regularly in this household.

"I AM" has it's moments, but I can't get beyond the vocalist, who is a no-talent IMHO. Maybe it's just that I'm used to Tomas Bodin's solo stuff being completely instrumental. The vocals ruin the Bodin experience for me. See what you think http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=726
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2008, 6:22pm by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

ajoberstar
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 221
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3304 on: Aug 17th, 2008, 8:06pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 6:16pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
Colin, I hope you also have "Sonic Boulevard" and "Pinup Guru." These albums are so great, in addition to AONIMOL, that they are spun regularly in this household.

"I AM" has it's moments, but I can't get beyond the vocalist, who is a no-talent IMHO. Maybe it's just that I'm used to Tomas Bodin's solo stuff being completely instrumental. The vocals ruin the Bodin experience for me. See what you think http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=726


I disagree about the vocalist in I Am. I really liked him, his voice had a lot of character. I really hope Tomas works with him more.
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3305 on: Aug 18th, 2008, 1:01pm »

on Aug 17th, 2008, 8:06pm, obe1kenobi wrote:
I disagree about the vocalist in I Am. I really liked him, his voice had a lot of character. I really hope Tomas works with him more.



I tend to agree, I have no problem with the voice at all.

I have the four album you mention COT all excellent it must be said. Long live prog!
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3306 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 11:57am »

on Aug 18th, 2008, 1:01pm, demolition man wrote:
I tend to agree, I have no problem with the voice at all.

I have the four album you mention COT all excellent it must be said. Long live prog!


I gave "I AM" a good listen yesterday and, after reading an interview with Tomas, then finding out that the album is autobiographical, I now understand the reason why some of the vocals are strained. These songs represent periods in Tomas' life when he was having great personal struggles, long before he ever joined TFK.

I was confused, before gaining this knowledge, as to why the vocals were great in some parts and sounded very strained in others. The album otherwise is full of wonderful moments of bliss, that's a given. I don't think Tomas could put out a clunker if his life depended on it.
User IP Logged

marbles
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"There'll come a time when all of this is over"


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 174
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3307 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 3:45pm »

Alright. This is my first post on a TFK threat.
I just felt that, not being a great fan, it was a bit pointless to write on a threat with such a "homogenic" appreciation of the band.

Anyway, I feel brave enough now! shocked undecided

I remember when "Paradox Hotel" was released and Nov started these "gargantual" threats. (Congratulations, Nov, btw grin).

I listened to that album MANY times, and I just couldn't get it at all.

I love TRANSTLANTIC to pieces, and much music of SPOCK'S BEARD, but there's something about TFK I just fail to catch (apparently).

The musicians are there (all highly competent). The songwritting capability is there (no doubt), but...

I haven't listened all their albums, but most of them. And more that twice. "Retropolis" is a fairly good album, with some really good moments.

But the only album I really like is "Stardust we are" (I think that's the title!) (I think is from 2001-2).

I enjoyed that album a lot. Not being perfect, the band is apparently in a especially inspired songwritting form.

Funnily enough, it's one of those albums with more split opinions.

But, on the whole, the frequently absurd and short-shighted punk's view of prog being a non-sense chain of endless jams, somehow, imho, works for this band, like for most of EL&P work.

Ready to receive fire!


grin
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2008, 3:46pm by marbles » User IP Logged

Juan Carlos
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3308 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 4:33pm »

on Aug 19th, 2008, 3:45pm, marbles wrote:
Alright. This is my first post on a TFK threat.
I just felt that, not being a great fan, it was a bit pointless to write on a threat with such a "homogenic" appreciation of the band.

I'm not sure about these "threats" marbles wink


Quote:
I remember when "Paradox Hotel" was released and Nov started these "gargantual" threats. (Congratulations, Nov, btw grin).

I didn't start this one wink


Quote:
I love TRANSTLANTIC to pieces, and much music of SPOCK'S BEARD, but there's something about TFK I just fail to catch (apparently).

It took me a few years to realise that they were the best of the lot so you've got time yet wink


Quote:
The musicians are there (all highly competent). The songwritting capability is there (no doubt), but...

I agree smiley


Quote:
But the only album I really like is "Stardust we are" (I think that's the title!) (I think is from 2001-2).

It's a fabulous album but not quite their best (IMHO) wink


Quote:
But, on the whole, the frequently absurd and short-shighted punk's view of prog being a non-sense chain of endless jams, somehow, imho, works for this band, like for most of EL&P work.

I never really got into ELP to be honest. I think they are the main band that gave prog a bad name and I'm not really interested in flash playing for the sake of it.
To me, The Flower Kings are very different. The song and the melody is always the most important thing for me and TFK have that in just the same way that Genesis has. Similarly to Genesis you also get the bonus of amazing instrumental sections as well.

Of course there's the odd experimental track that grates but that's just the same with Genesis.


Quote:
Ready to receive fire!

Not at all. I think you're comments are very well presented and I also feel that The Flower Kings will continue to grow on you as you seem to be open to enjoying them rather than some people who listen to one album once and write them off as prog wannabees.

Cheers

Nov

User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3309 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 4:44pm »

What Nov said........... grin
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3310 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 6:05pm »

It's nice to see Nov back 'In The Land Of The Pumpkins' once again.
If I was to have a tattoo - which is highly unlikely - and it was to be in the form of a band's name, and I was only ever to have the one tattoo - still all highly unlikely - that band would be The Flower Kings.

Though I might be tempted to have a big, full colour photo of the band on my back, even if it did mean I felt like the victim of a flogging for a few days. wink
User IP Logged

ajoberstar
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 221
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3311 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 8:19pm »

on Aug 19th, 2008, 11:57am, CountingOutTime wrote:
I gave "I AM" a good listen yesterday and, after reading an interview with Tomas, then finding out that the album is autobiographical, I now understand the reason why some of the vocals are strained. These songs represent periods in Tomas' life when he was having great personal struggles, long before he ever joined TFK.

I was confused, before gaining this knowledge, as to why the vocals were great in some parts and sounded very strained in others. The album otherwise is full of wonderful moments of bliss, that's a given. I don't think Tomas could put out a clunker if his life depended on it.


That's interesting to know. Do you have a link to that interview?
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3312 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 8:36pm »

on Aug 19th, 2008, 8:19pm, obe1kenobi wrote:
That's interesting to know. Do you have a link to that interview?


Here is a link to the interview http://www.progressive-newsletter.de/index.htm?/intbodi2.htm

Here is a link to the wonderful in-depth review of I AM http://www.progressor.net/review/tomas_bodin_2005.html
User IP Logged

ajoberstar
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 221
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3313 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 10:02pm »

on Aug 19th, 2008, 8:36pm, CountingOutTime wrote:
Here is a link to the interview http://www.progressive-newsletter.de/index.htm?/intbodi2.htm

Here is a link to the wonderful in-depth review of I AM http://www.progressor.net/review/tomas_bodin_2005.html


I like the bit about 2 more albums like I AM grin
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #3314 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 6:24pm »

If I'm not mistaken, Tomas's next album is supposedly going to be called - You Are. Must be the sequel. wink
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 219 220 221 222 223  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls