Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 24th, 2018, 07:35am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 5904 times)
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2265 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 11:08am »

on Nov 30th, 2007, 07:06am, Chessman wrote:
Yes, I like Krister Jonsson's style too. A pity he's left The Tangent himself now. He's also the guitarist with Karmakanic, isn't he? smiley


Yes, he is. Come on guys, where's that new album you've been working on for more than 2 years now?
User IP Logged

lucius
Guest
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2266 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 05:16am »

Still cannot get into tsone. Cannot even force myself to bother trying. Can't get into the mood.

Do find myself returning to Adam and Eve and really enjoying it. I'm liking the track Adam and Eve a lot.

Oh well still have tsone for a rainy day I suppose.

Steve
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19353
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2267 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 3:48pm »

on Dec 1st, 2007, 05:16am, lucius wrote:
Still cannot get into tsone. Cannot even force myself to bother trying. Can't get into the mood.

Do find myself returning to Adam and Eve and really enjoying it. I'm liking the track Adam and Eve a lot.

Oh well still have tsone for a rainy day I suppose.

Steve


With TSONE, I've found that this is one album where you just have to get inside Roine's head and attempt to understand where he was coming from when he wrote these songs.

Before the album was released, Roine had stated that this would be a very proggy album, to be compared to Flower Power and Stardust We Are. I never would have believed this after one or two spins of TSONE, but now, after numerous spins, I'm hearing something new each time.

He's buried and layered so many wonderful hooks and bits of inspiration, which are sprinkled throughout the entire album, that it's almost too much to take in at once.

There are varying periods of progressive rock history covered within this one album, from early Genesis to Pink Floyd, Zappa to Gentle Giant, and so many more that I'm hearing upon each new listen.

I actually enjoy playing it now (about once a week) because I know I'm going to hear something new; I just have to listen very closely and, after doing so, I can hear these songs in a brand new light and really appreciate them more.


User IP Logged

lucius
Guest
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2268 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 3:58pm »

Wow, You are an enthusiast. I suppose I will just keep the album on ice and wait until the mood grabs me. I think one of the problems I have is that the prerelease news was all about making a first rate progressive rock album in a 70s style with all of the old equipement. He's done that but by it's very nature it seems to be too formulaic. Perhaps I need to forget that he planned to use the 70s formula. It doesn't seem as sincere as Paradox hotel did.

Adam and Eve has been a nice surprise though.

Steve
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2269 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 7:20pm »

on Dec 1st, 2007, 3:58pm, lucius wrote:
Wow, You are an enthusiast. I suppose I will just keep the album on ice and wait until the mood grabs me. I think one of the problems I have is that the prerelease news was all about making a first rate progressive rock album in a 70s style with all of the old equipement. He's done that but by it's very nature it seems to be too formulaic. Perhaps I need to forget that he planned to use the 70s formula. It doesn't seem as sincere as Paradox hotel did.

Adam and Eve has been a nice surprise though.

Steve


Glad you're liking Adam And Eve Steve.
And glad you are enjoying the title track. That's one of those songs a lot of people don't like. I don't think Nov particularly likes it either, but I love it. Very tongue in cheek, and catchy. And I love the lyrics too.
Another underrated track on there is 'Timelines'. It's another grower, I found.
In fact, I can't think what my least favourite song is on that album. I don't think I have one actually! cheesy
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2270 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:41am »

Hopefully I'll be getting Instant Delivery for Christmas wink
Well, I've dropped a number of hints, so I hope SWMBO was listening smiley
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2271 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 3:00pm »

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:41am, demolition man wrote:
Hopefully I'll be getting Instant Delivery for Christmas wink
Well, I've dropped a number of hints, so I hope SWMBO was listening smiley


You'll love it Colin! You'll want to watch it as soon as you get it. Try to get some time to yourself Xmas day to watch it!
You won't be disappointed, I promise. wink
User IP Logged

soldoutfad
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Going blank again...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1287
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2272 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 08:09am »

on Dec 1st, 2007, 05:16am, lucius wrote:
Still cannot get into tsone. Cannot even force myself to bother trying. Can't get into the mood.

Do find myself returning to Adam and Eve and really enjoying it. I'm liking the track Adam and Eve a lot.

Oh well still have tsone for a rainy day I suppose.

Steve


Took me a while Steve...but got there in the end!

It's no Stardust or Space Revolver...but a good album all the same smiley

...now Flower Power is another story! tongue

...all I can say is that - for me - your first sentence applies to this album!...(with the exception of Astral Dog, Deaf, Numb and Blind and Stupid Girl) - what a manky bag of old toot it is!

I've tried listening to it 3 or 4 times and only managed to get all the way through once...and then I nearly lost the will to live! sad


Anyway - there's allways that proverbial rainy day

cheers

Fraser
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2273 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:31pm »

grin this is amazing. Flower Power is fabulous, indeed it's my favourite The Flower Kings album. grin

User IP Logged

soldoutfad
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Going blank again...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1287
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2274 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:11pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2007, 2:31pm, demolition man wrote:
grin this is amazing. Flower Power is fabulous, indeed it's my favourite The Flower Kings album. grin



Yes I know!...and you're not the only one to rate it so high shocked

I had such high hopes for it after reading many glowing opinions and my own initial experience has been such a dissapointment tongue

Maybe I'm at that point where I've had such a great time exploring their wonderful music and as a consequence my expectations are set just too high!...if that is the case then I suppose at some point I'm due a wake-up call!

I stumbled with my first few listens of 'The Flower King' (and in truth haven't managed to listen to it since!) and so my experience with this one is a real dissapointment...

Never mind...I've got: 'Back in the World of Adventures' and 'Meet the Flower KIngs' in my pending pile! cheesy
User IP Logged

demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2275 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:30pm »

great. The 1st dvd from Meet The Flower Kings is all from Flower Power grin
Give it time mate. smiley
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2276 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 6:28pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:11pm, soldoutfad wrote:
Yes I know!...and you're not the only one to rate it so high shocked

I had such high hopes for it after reading many glowing opinions and my own initial experience has been such a dissapointment tongue

Maybe I'm at that point where I've had such a great time exploring their wonderful music and as a consequence my expectations are set just too high!...if that is the case then I suppose at some point I'm due a wake-up call!

I stumbled with my first few listens of 'The Flower King' (and in truth haven't managed to listen to it since!) and so my experience with this one is a real dissapointment...

Never mind...I've got: 'Back in the World of Adventures' and 'Meet the Flower KIngs' in my pending pile! cheesy


As Demo Man says, 'give it time' Fraser! As you've probably read, it's my fave FK album too, and my second fave album of all time! But sometimes you can overdose on a band, and maybe you need a break from them, or from certain albums. Try not playing Flower Power for a couple of weeks, then go back to it. I'm pretty sure you'll eventually love 'Garden Of Dreams' - but it does take a lot of listening to before you can capture all its nuances.
Other fave tracks of mine are: 'Psychedelic Postcard', 'Stupid Girl', 'Magic Pie', 'Calling Home' and 'Afterlife'. Oh, and 'Painter' too. All stupendous pieces of music, imo of course.
But maybe it's just not for you. However, don't give up just yet! wink
Carl
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2277 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 4:01pm »

And now for 'weird Flower Kings question number 48' -

which member of the band, past or present, would make the best Father Christmas?

My vote goes to Hasse Bruniusson. I reckon he's a real hoot, in an entertaining way!
laugh
User IP Logged

soldoutfad
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Going blank again...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1287
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2278 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 08:01am »

on Dec 3rd, 2007, 4:30pm, demolition man wrote:
great. The 1st dvd from Meet The Flower Kings is all from Flower Power grin
Give it time mate. smiley


...Oh Lummy!... undecided
User IP Logged

soldoutfad
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Going blank again...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1287
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #2279 on: Dec 5th, 2007, 08:05am »

Finally got around to giving this one a second play yesterday ! (It's been Rapid Eye Movement non-stop for five days now with just the odd bit of Fair To Midland thrown in, so I figured a change of pace was due grin)

User Image

You know, it's really not as bad as I had feared!...

Now that I'm in such a mellow mood, I plan to play Back In The World Of Adventures later...who knows?...maybe I'll sum up the courage to give Flower Power another go after that!! shocked shocked
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls