Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 6:38pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 5645 times)
demolition man
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 13449
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1845 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:37pm »

Hi Manda, yes Chessman is dead right. The band have a major writing talent. Why do I say that? Well I think that almost everybody who like The Flower Kings would probably agree and say that the music takes time to sink in, but once it grabs you inside, you can really appreciate the harmonies and melody. The talent therefore comes in that they write en masse and churn out vast amount of great songs.

On the flip side, the band have been accused in certain quaters of having too many filler tracks and that their work is overly elaborate. I can see this to a point myself, but overridingly the writing and music talent shines through.

This band is unique in that the music really does take time to sink in, but the wait can be very rewarding.
I have the very enviable task of now exploring some of the back catalogue that I instantly dismissed as one dimensional and, to be quite frank, uninteresting. I'm glad however, to report that guys like Nov and Chessman convinced me through their writing on messageboards like this one and the main Genesis website to perservere. How right they were. smiley

Now the band have shot up to one of my current favourites and probably entering into my top ten of all time smiley

User IP Logged

Manda
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1235
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1846 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 6:44pm »

oh cool, you all really seem to like that band! must be good, gotta check it out soon :-D
User IP Logged

Mal
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Somethings changed, that's not your face, IT'S MINE!!!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1847 on: Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:11pm »

Hey Manda smiley

Well, I'll stick in my opinion for what it's worth undecided
Anyone who compares TFK to early Genesis is seriously deluded rolleyes
I love all things prog, but TFK are a breed apart.
To me, they have nothing new to offer, and believe me, I have tried!
Many here love them, but I personally just cannot connect. The first time I heard Porcupine Tree, I was totally blown away, and was beating myself up for not sussing the band out earlier.
Eveyone to their own, and honestly, without trying to sound patronising, at 17, you really need to concentrate on Genesis material and Steve Hackett solo stuff cool, before delving into the puesdo world of supposedly the best prog band on the Plant Earth rolleyes

Please listen to Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, if you haven't already, before even contemplating this Swedish nonsense wink

'' Ducks'' wink
User IP Logged

You're naive if you really do believe
That the world is so full of sin

Witchwood
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 3028
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1848 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:00am »

on Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:11pm, Mal wrote:
...
Many here love them, but I personally just cannot connect...


Well, I would probably describe the horde as a small but extremely enthusiastic handful. wink

I too feel I've given them ample opportunity to pique my interest - more so than I've given most other bands.
And they just don't do anything for me.

What gets my back up, though, is being told that if I donít like them, it must be because there's something wrong with me, I didnít give them a chance or because I obviously have a bias against new prog bands.

Thatís a surefire way to tilt oneís ambivalence towards abhorrence. tongue
User IP Logged

Manda
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1235
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1849 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 08:59am »

on Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:11pm, Mal wrote:
Hey Manda smiley

Well, I'll stick in my opinion for what it's worth undecided
Anyone who compares TFK to early Genesis is seriously deluded rolleyes
I love all things prog, but TFK are a breed apart.
To me, they have nothing new to offer, and believe me, I have tried!
Many here love them, but I personally just cannot connect. The first time I heard Porcupine Tree, I was totally blown away, and was beating myself up for not sussing the band out earlier.
Eveyone to their own, and honestly, without trying to sound patronising, at 17, you really need to concentrate on Genesis material and Steve Hackett solo stuff cool, before delving into the puesdo world of supposedly the best prog band on the Plant Earth rolleyes

Please listen to Selling England By The Pound, Foxtrot, and The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, if you haven't already, before even contemplating this Swedish nonsense wink

'' Ducks'' wink

ooh I get quite a lot responses here hehe, thanks! cheesy
great to hear everyone's opinion! cheesy

I've heard most of genesis' music and quite a lot steve hackett, tony banks and stuff as well, and it's amazing how good they all are!! shocked cheesy I think there's still quite a bit I haven't heard yet tho
hehe, I'll keep listening to more of their stuff! and will have a listen to tfk at some point smiley
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19649
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1850 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 4:18pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:49am, Manda wrote:
hey, thank you! cheesy yep that's a pic of me in the avatar, I've posted the pic in the post a piccy of yourself thread as well hehe ^^
I live quite a bit southwest of stockholm, it takes about 2 hours to go there
ooh nice! where in sweden have you been?

ahh cool they should be good then! will listen to some more songs!

one of my other big fav artists is Nik Kershaw! he's just amazing!
and besides that I like most 80's music! older music than that too, like 60's and 70's music, and also new stuff! loads of various artists


Hi Manda!
Thanks for the reply. We have friends who live in Solna, and we have been to stay with them four times.
Your taste in music is very diverse, which is a good thing indeed!
You will get lots of different views on The Flower Kings, some people love them, some hate them. Not many are in the middle!
Only you can decide, at the end of the day, whether you like them or not.
All I will say is - give them a chance and take some time before you decide. wink

Carl smiley
User IP Logged

Manda
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1235
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1851 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 06:19am »

ah cool! we go through solna I think when we're going to the city of stockholm.. I love stockholm btw!

okey hehe, sounds good, will do smiley
User IP Logged

12vodkanight
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 466
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1852 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 09:36am »

Does anyone else think the intro of Rollin' The Dice where Hasse Froberg does that backwards 'WHOOOAAAAAAAAHHH!' bit is going to go into 'Whoah Bodyform, body formed for you!' from the old Bodyform ad?

The ad featured in 'Goodnight Mr. Bean' too. I think the singer was Stevie Lange (later Vann).
User IP Logged

'On behalf of the management, and I'd love to be half of the management...'
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1853 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 11:57am »

on Nov 2nd, 2007, 8:11pm, Mal wrote:
To me, they have nothing new to offer, and believe me, I have tried!
Many here love them, but I personally just cannot connect.

So let me get this right. We've got Manda coming in to the Flower Kings thread to ask about them (as this thread was started for people who love the band) and you're trying to tell her we've all go it wrong?

I know it's sometimes a bit of a laugh and all that but that last post of yours really did slag off TFK big time and went a bit too far in my opinion. There are quite a few of us here who really love them you know.


Quote:
Swedish nonsense

undecided rolleyes



« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:36pm by Nov » User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1854 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:02pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:00am, Witchwood wrote:
I too feel I've given them ample opportunity to pique my interest - more so than I've given most other bands.
And they just don't do anything for me.

....and here's another one rolleyes

It doesn't matter how many times you and Mal keep turning up in here saying The Flower Kings are shite, it's not going to change how much Chessman, Nikki, Gooner, Demo Man, CoT, Didrik, etc, etc, etc love them.


Quote:
What gets my back up, though, is being told that if I donít like them, it must be because there's something wrong with me, I didnít give them a chance or because I obviously have a bias against new prog bands.

If you don't like them, you don't like them. It's as simple as that.


Quote:
Thatís a surefire way to tilt oneís ambivalence towards abhorrence

Gadzooks rolleyes

« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:07pm by Nov » User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1855 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:10pm »

on Nov 4th, 2007, 06:19am, Manda wrote:
I love stockholm btw!

I went to Stockholm on a lads weekend a few years ago and LOVED it.

smiley

User IP Logged

lucius
Guest
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1856 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:15pm »

on Nov 4th, 2007, 12:02pm, Nov wrote:
It doesn't matter how many times you and Mal keep turning up in here saying The Flower Kings are shite, it's not going to change how much Chessman, Nikki, Gooner, Demo Man, CoT, Didrik, etc, etc, etc love them.



They'll never take Rotherham away from us, mate. LOL

Great night of great music.

etc,etc
User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1857 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:22pm »

on Nov 4th, 2007, 12:15pm, lucius wrote:
They'll never take Rotherham away from us, mate. LOL

Great night of great music.

etc,etc

Sorry Steve - I should have added you in that list wink

I was playing Riverside on the way back from Guildford this morning (after G2 last night) and it's growing on me.

Some of it is way too much like PT though. This isn't a bad thing I suppose but tracks such as "Rainbow Box" and "Cybernetic Pillow" could literally be PT. I think they need to carve out their own identity a bit more.

(....and I can already sense Mal composing a similar response involving TFK and Yes grin)

User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1858 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:28pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:49am, Manda wrote:
one of my other big fav artists is Nik Kershaw! he's just amazing!

I'm a big Nik Kershaw fan.

In my opinion he's a very under-rated song-writer and suffered from having a teeny-girl following after his first 2 albums.

All of his albums are choc full of top songs including recent albums such as "15 minutes" and "To Be Frank".

His album "The Works" really brought him to the attention of Tony Banks because they write in a similar style.

A great artist.

User IP Logged

Manda
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1235
xx Re: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)
« Reply #1859 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 12:42pm »

on Nov 4th, 2007, 12:28pm, Nov wrote:
I'm a big Nik Kershaw fan.

In my opinion he's a very under-rated song-writer and suffered from having a teeny-girl following after his first 2 albums.

All of his albums are choc full of top songs including recent albums such as "15 minutes" and "To Be Frank".

His album "The Works" really brought him to the attention of Tony Banks because they write in a similar style.

A great artist.


ah cool! yeah that's true!
btw did you know that he released a new album last year called 'you've got to laugh'? it's amazing as well! cheesy

and cool you love stockholm too btw! it's ace to hear other ppl say that! cheesy
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls