Board Logo
« So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :) »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 17th, 2018, 11:25pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: So, does anyone here like The Flower Kings? :)  (Read 4768 times)
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #135 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 03:58am »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 03:51am, The_Moonlit_Knight wrote:
I really hope they come to Scotland this time


Fingers crossed. They have played in Scotland before. You really must see them next time.


Quote:
I'm going to see SB in London in May (after I book everything


I'm hoping to be at this. I'm down in London the same day rehearsing with The Phantoms so it ties in very nicely.

Nikki - you need to be listening to The Beard as well. Would you like a CD? wink

User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #136 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 04:00am »

on Mar 27th, 2007, 5:23pm, squonknikki wrote:
Well i remember posting when i first got Space Revolver, that i felt 'Monster Within' was going to take a while! Just not as accessible as some other tracks after a few listens or 10 for me! But don't know what happened yesterday particularly, was listening to it in the car while waiting for the kids to come out of swimming lessons, of all bloody places! rolleyes
It just sort of , well ......... hit me big time really!
Kind of ........ jeez this track is blinding! Why couldn't i get it earlier sort of thing! huh
Played it again on the way home .......... my 7 year old son on hearing the crazy laughing etc in it came out with a classic ......... "Mum, who's this again, that is wicked"! grin
That's my boy! I'm so proud!!! wink laugh


Sounds like a great lad. Start 'em young!!


Quote:
Pre-sale starts tomorrow! grin
Wangled day off work! Mate to take kids to school!
Bring it on!!!


Good luck Nikki. Hope you get 1st row wink



« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 04:01am by Nov » User IP Logged

gooner265
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1240
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #137 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 10:32am »

Ok bad news not played Paradox much sad

Good news got sidetracked being blown away By Truth album ( well first disc). I always quite liked the title track (it's now my favourite FK track) but LOVE the whole first disc now.

Black and White starts off with some beautiful vocals and kicks into a great instrumental.
Silent Inferno is great , have to say there's some great bass playing on this track and the album as a whole.

I am struggling with disc 2 at the moment, but I shall persevere and I promise to give Paradox my time over the next few days. grin grin
User IP Logged

Gigs 2011


Face Value - Birmingham 19/03
Blackfield - Shepherds Bush 08/04
Big Country - Shepherds Bush 15/04
British Pink Floyd - Albert Hall 20/04
Riverside - London La Scala 16/05
Roger Waters - O2 Arena 18/05
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #138 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 12:13pm »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 10:32am, gooner265 wrote:
Ok bad news not played Paradox much sad


There's plenty of time gooner. And I'll let you off because......

Quote:
Good news got sidetracked being blown away By Truth album ( well first disc). I always quite liked the title track (it's now my favourite FK track) but LOVE the whole first disc now.

Black and White starts off with some beautiful vocals and kicks into a great instrumental.
Silent Inferno is great , have to say there's some great bass playing on this track and the album as a whole.

I am struggling with disc 2 at the moment, but I shall persevere and I promise to give Paradox my time over the next few days. grin grin


To be absolutely honest, until very recently, I've only really played the three epics on "Unfold The Future" as they are all so unbelievably good that they over-shadow the rest a tad. It's only been other people such as Steve (luciousspurious) saying how much he loves a lot of disk 2 that I've been playing it more recently and there are some real gems on there.

There are still 2 or 3 tracks on "Unfold" that I'm never going to get to grips with because it is their most experimantal and "jazzy" album but I'll let them off those when an album lasts well over 2 hours.


« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 12:15pm by Nov » User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19351
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #139 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 1:36pm »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 03:58am, Nov wrote:
Nikki - you need to be listening to The Beard as well. would you like a CD? wink



Love their version of George Harrison's classic.

Beware Of Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQUldHPgRk&NR

Hey man........it's ROCK AND ROLL.......and I like it cool

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 1:41pm by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19644
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #140 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 3:42pm »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 12:13pm, Nov wrote:
There's plenty of time gooner. And I'll let you off because......



To be absolutely honest, until very recently, I've only really played the three epics on "Unfold The Future" as they are all so unbelievably good that they over-shadow the rest a tad. It's only been other people such as Steve (luciousspurious) saying how much he loves a lot of disk 2 that I've been playing it more recently and there are some real gems on there.
There are still 2 or 3 tracks on "Unfold" that I'm never going to get to grips with because it is their most experimantal and "jazzy" album but I'll let them off those when an album lasts well over 2 hours.




Now you listen to those who know these things, Mr Nov - get playing both discs incessantly, and eventually you will come to love all of it! (Ok, maybe not Christianopel, I know it's not your type of thing)
Tracks such as 'Fast Lane' with wonderful keyboards by Tomas, 'Rollin The Dice', 'Monkey Business' and 'Genie In A Bottle' are all stunning and will certainly enhance your listening pleasure of the whole album.
Come on now, Nov, you really should give TFK more of a chance. Who knows? You may end up putting them in your top twenty! tongue
User IP Logged

Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19644
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #141 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 3:45pm »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 10:32am, gooner265 wrote:
Ok bad news not played Paradox much sad

Good news got sidetracked being blown away By Truth album ( well first disc). I always quite liked the title track (it's now my favourite FK track) but LOVE the whole first disc now.

Black and White starts off with some beautiful vocals and kicks into a great instrumental.
Silent Inferno is great , have to say there's some great bass playing on this track and the album as a whole.

I am struggling with disc 2 at the moment, but I shall persevere and I promise to give Paradox my time over the next few days. grin grin


Believe me, Gooner, side 2 will hit you if you give it a chance.
Tracks such as 'Genie In A Bottle', 'Rollin The Dice', Fast Lane' and the superb epic 'Devil's Playground' are all too good for mere superlatives.
This is my second favourite FK album. I can't think of another album that sounds anything like it.
Wonderful stuff! smiley
User IP Logged

gooner265
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1240
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #142 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 04:34am »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 3:45pm, Chessman wrote:
Believe me, Gooner, side 2 will hit you if you give it a chance.
Tracks such as 'Genie In A Bottle', 'Rollin The Dice', Fast Lane' and the superb epic 'Devil's Playground' are all too good for mere superlatives.
This is my second favourite FK album. I can't think of another album that sounds anything like it.
Wonderful stuff! smiley



Don't worry I will give it a chance , My favorite albums are usually the ones that hit me after a few plays , the ones that hit me instantly , I tend to get bored with soon after.

I actually like Christianopel , I find it very relaxing and I really don't like jazz usually. grin grin
User IP Logged

Gigs 2011


Face Value - Birmingham 19/03
Blackfield - Shepherds Bush 08/04
Big Country - Shepherds Bush 15/04
British Pink Floyd - Albert Hall 20/04
Riverside - London La Scala 16/05
Roger Waters - O2 Arena 18/05
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19644
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #143 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 06:06am »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 04:34am, gooner265 wrote:
Don't worry I will give it a chance , My favorite albums are usually the ones that hit me after a few plays , the ones that hit me instantly , I tend to get bored with soon after.

I actually like Christianopel , I find it very relaxing and I really don't like jazz usually. grin grin


I am not a big jazz fan either, but I love Christianopel. As you say, it's very relaxing. On disc two you have the very similar Soul Vortex. That's another one I love. and I have the limited edition which has the bonus track after Devil's Playground, called Too Late For Tomatoes. That is another one in a similar vein.
Great stuff. cheesy
User IP Logged

gooner265
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1240
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #144 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 09:12am »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 06:06am, Chessman wrote:
I am not a big jazz fan either, but I love Christianopel. As you say, it's very relaxing. On disc two you have the very similar Soul Vortex. That's another one I love. and I have the limited edition which has the bonus track after Devil's Playground, called Too Late For Tomatoes. That is another one in a similar vein.
Great stuff. cheesy


I have the bonus edition as well , I shall llok out for that. smiley
User IP Logged

Gigs 2011


Face Value - Birmingham 19/03
Blackfield - Shepherds Bush 08/04
Big Country - Shepherds Bush 15/04
British Pink Floyd - Albert Hall 20/04
Riverside - London La Scala 16/05
Roger Waters - O2 Arena 18/05
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19644
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #145 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 10:24am »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 09:12am, gooner265 wrote:
I have the bonus edition as well , I shall llok out for that. smiley


I love the packaging on the limited edition, the booklet in the middle is very nice. In fact I think all TFK's covers and booklets are excellent. The only one that isn't up to the usual high standard is 'The Rainmaker' which is a quite ordinary, even dull, cover.
But the rest are wonderfully colourful and entertaining!
Can't pick a favourite, but it's probably between Stardust We Are and Flower Power. smiley
User IP Logged

relayer901
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 54
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #146 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 3:12pm »

Finally received 'Back in the World of Adventures' and 'Retropolis' from Amazon today! Am currently playing BITWOA as I write this. Way too early to judge obviously, but I like this! Very promising! Nov, Chessman and SquonkNikki have a lot to answer for!

Incidentally, my wife saw the CD and said 'The Flower what?!' So I explained that they are a Swedish prog rock band, and she fell over laughing. Mind you, she tends to react like that to most of the stuff I listen to!

Currently on 'My Cosmic Lover' - yep, so far I'm impressed with all this!
User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7247
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #147 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 4:16pm »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 3:12pm, relayer901 wrote:
Finally received 'Back in the World of Adventures' and 'Retropolis' from Amazon today! Am currently playing BITWOA as I write this. Way too early to judge obviously, but I like this! Very promising! Nov, Chessman and SquonkNikki have a lot to answer for!

Well, I'm hoping that you'll become eternally grateful for introducing you to this amazing band grin

Listen out for the little "nod of respect" to Genesis at 7:50 in the title track wink
Let me know when you've worked out what it is.


Quote:
Incidentally, my wife saw the CD and said 'The Flower what?!' So I explained that they are a Swedish prog rock band, and she fell over laughing. Mind you, she tends to react like that to most of the stuff I listen to!


That's hilarious, relayer grin

Who does she like ?


Quote:
Currently on 'My Cosmic Lover' - yep, so far I'm impressed with all this!


This is all sounding very positive. Give it all a few listens though wink

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2007, 4:20pm by Nov » User IP Logged

gooner265
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1240
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #148 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 5:10pm »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 4:16pm, Nov wrote:
Listen out for the little "nod of respect" to Genesis at 7:50 in the title track wink
Let me know when you've worked out what it is.












Ooh not spotted that , will have a listen. wink
User IP Logged

Gigs 2011


Face Value - Birmingham 19/03
Blackfield - Shepherds Bush 08/04
Big Country - Shepherds Bush 15/04
British Pink Floyd - Albert Hall 20/04
Riverside - London La Scala 16/05
Roger Waters - O2 Arena 18/05
Chessman
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Sending Ripples To Entangle You!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19644
xx Re: So, does anyone here like TFK? :)
« Reply #149 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 6:25pm »

on Mar 29th, 2007, 3:12pm, relayer901 wrote:
Finally received 'Back in the World of Adventures' and 'Retropolis' from Amazon today! Am currently playing BITWOA as I write this. Way too early to judge obviously, but I like this! Very promising! Nov, Chessman and SquonkNikki have a lot to answer for!

Incidentally, my wife saw the CD and said 'The Flower what?!' So I explained that they are a Swedish prog rock band, and she fell over laughing. Mind you, she tends to react like that to most of the stuff I listen to!

Currently on 'My Cosmic Lover' - yep, so far I'm impressed with all this!


Well, to be fair, if you hadn't heard anything by the band, or been told what they were like, I think a name like 'The Flower Kings' would suggest (wrongly of course) some sort of hippy '60s band. Or a psychedelic band, don't you agree?
Glad you are enjoying your first taste of the greatest modern prog band around. (IMO of course!)
Hopefully, the more you listen to it, the more you will like it! You are now in the first stages of a marvellous musical journey!
(Am I going a tad over the top here?) wink
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12  ...  377 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls