Board Logo
« Prog news »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 19th, 2017, 2:03pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38  ...  49 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Prog news  (Read 40257 times)
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #525 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 5:26pm »

There are a few new releases that might be interesting:

Asia - Gravitas
Panic Room - Incarnate
Magnum - Escape from the Shadow Garden

... all to be released in the next few weeks....

... although I'm at a loss as to whether these are "prog" or "classic".
User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19139
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #526 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 08:32am »

New Dynamo Bliss track! Great stuff! Love these guys!

http://dynamobliss.com/track/eagle-has-landed-instrumental


cool
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10852
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #527 on: Feb 20th, 2014, 08:33am »

on Feb 20th, 2014, 08:32am, CountingOutTime wrote:
New Dynamo Bliss track! Great stuff! Love these guys!

http://dynamobliss.com/track/eagle-has-landed-instrumental
cool


Good track! smiley
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #528 on: Feb 27th, 2014, 4:19pm »

Recently, this was released:

User Image

It's by a new band, called Perfect Beings (the album's title is eponymous).

You can listen to the entire album here:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00659%20-%20Perfect%20Beings%20-%20Perfect%20Beings

It's the best album I've heard this year. I expect it will remain a favourite. Sort of a vivid combination of good pop (The Beatles, XTC) and prog. Quite addictive!

User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10852
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #529 on: Feb 27th, 2014, 5:19pm »

on Feb 27th, 2014, 4:19pm, Julian wrote:
Recently, this was released:

User Image

It's by a new band, called Perfect Beings (the album's title is eponymous).

You can listen to the entire album here:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00659%20-%20Perfect%20Beings%20-%20Perfect%20Beings

It's the best album I've heard this year. I expect it will remain a favourite. Sort of a vivid combination of good pop (The Beatles, XTC) and prog. Quite addictive!



This sounds really good! smiley
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Carpet Crawler
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 595
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #530 on: Feb 28th, 2014, 10:30am »

on Feb 27th, 2014, 4:19pm, Julian wrote:
Recently, this was released:

User Image

It's by a new band, called Perfect Beings (the album's title is eponymous).

You can listen to the entire album here:

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pages/play-album.php?activeAlbum=00659%20-%20Perfect%20Beings%20-%20Perfect%20Beings

It's the best album I've heard this year. I expect it will remain a favourite. Sort of a vivid combination of good pop (The Beatles, XTC) and prog. Quite addictive!



I concur, it is very good! cool

You may already know this, but for those who don't (just in case), this is the new band by one of the founding members of Moth Vellum, Johannes Luley.

Moth Vellum had just one album (also eponymous) back in 2007-2008, but it was excellent. I strongly recommend it to any Genesis and/or Yes fans looking for something that has nods to the golden era of symphonic rock but with a crisp, clean modern sound devoid of any metal trappings.
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10852
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #531 on: Mar 1st, 2014, 2:35pm »

on Feb 27th, 2014, 4:19pm, Julian wrote:
"Perfect Beings"

It's the best album I've heard this year. I expect it will remain a favourite. Sort of a vivid combination of good pop (The Beatles, XTC) and prog. Quite addictive!



Thanks Julian for posting this and thank you CoT for sending this to me. I've been enjoying this a lot! cool
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #532 on: Mar 1st, 2014, 3:18pm »

Nice to hear grin
User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
NedFlanders
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5144
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #533 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 06:23am »

on Feb 28th, 2014, 10:30am, Carpet Crawler wrote:
I concur, it is very good! cool

You may already know this, but for those who don't (just in case), this is the new band by one of the founding members of Moth Vellum, Johannes Luley.

Moth Vellum had just one album (also eponymous) back in 2007-2008, but it was excellent. I strongly recommend it to any Genesis and/or Yes fans looking for something that has nods to the golden era of symphonic rock but with a crisp, clean modern sound devoid of any metal trappings.


Yes a very good debut album.
User IP Logged

Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #534 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 6:53pm »

Just a quick nod to an album released last year, but one I only heard just now.

It's by The Knells (the album has the same name), a band led by a chap called Andrew Lee. Here it is:

User Image

It's not for everyone, certainly. Think Henry Cow or Art Bears, and try to combine that with early Renaissance music (the era, not the band!).

It appears The New York Times reviewed this, and said:

"Andrew McKenna Lee, who is best known as a classical guitarist and composer, shows his ambitious, accomplished rock side on “The Knells” (New Amsterdam), which is the name of both his new song cycle and the band that performs it, which is joined on the album by a string quartet. Mr. Lee isn’t an acoustic guitarist dabbling in electric; he has thoroughly considered the electric guitar’s tone and sustain, and he knows his Hendrix. His lyrics ponder cosmic conditions and cycles — time, space, dissolution, regeneration — and they are sung by three women, often in cascading counterpoint that can invoke Renaissance polyphony or Minimalism. The songs aren’t verse-chorus-verse; they sweep ahead, through passages of tolling solo electric guitar, of elegiac vocal melodies and harmonies, of note-bending quasi-Indian strings and guitar, of progressive-rock processionals."

Another way of putting this, is that it really is rather nice (if you don't mind your prog to be, well, rather prog). Nothing very huge, mind - just interesting!

You can listen some of their stuff from their site:

http://theknells.com/music



« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014, 7:58pm by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19139
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #535 on: Mar 12th, 2014, 08:54am »

Nick Magnus "N'monix"

User Image

Country: UK
Sub Genre: Symphonic
Label: Esoteric Antenna
Release date: April 28, 2014
Tracklist:

1.Time (6:23)
2.Memory (5:24)
3.Kombat Kid (6:28)
4.Headcase (3:49)
5.Eminent Victorians (7:01)
6.Broken (8:05)
7.Shadowland (2:51)
8.Entropy (6:46)

Line-up:
Nick Magnus - keyboards, percussion, vocals on 4, voice of Richard of York (aged 6) on 3
With
Tony Patterson - vocals on 1, 3
Tim Bowness - vocals on 7
Kate Faber - soprano voice on 2
Pete Hicks - vocals on 5
James Reeves - vocals on 8

Steve Hackett - guitar on 5, 6, 7
Andy Neve - backing vocals on 5, 8
Rob Townsend - soprano saxophone and flute on 7
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19139
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #536 on: Mar 12th, 2014, 09:22am »

Delusion Squared "The Final Delusion"

User Image

Country: France
Sub Genre: Progressive Rock
Release date: April 15, 2014

Tracklist:
Ordeal
01. The Same River Thrice
02. Diaspora
03. Patient Zero
04. Reason of State

Awareness
05. Devil Inside
06. Last Day of Sun
07. Finally Free

Deliverance
08. Prisoner's Dilemma
09. Black Waters
10. By The Lake (Dying)

Surrender
11. Oblivion for My Sin
12. Persistance of Vision
13. Deus in Machina

Line-up:
Lorraine Young - vocals
Steve Francis - guitars
Emmanuel de Saint Méen - keyboards


User IP Logged

Carpet Crawler
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 595
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #537 on: Mar 13th, 2014, 1:47pm »

on Mar 12th, 2014, 08:54am, CountingOutTime wrote:
Nick Magnus "N'monix"

User Image

Country: UK
Sub Genre: Symphonic
Label: Esoteric Antenna
Release date: April 28, 2014
Tracklist:

1.Time (6:23)
2.Memory (5:24)
3.Kombat Kid (6:28)
4.Headcase (3:49)
5.Eminent Victorians (7:01)
6.Broken (8:05)
7.Shadowland (2:51)
8.Entropy (6:46)

Line-up:
Nick Magnus - keyboards, percussion, vocals on 4, voice of Richard of York (aged 6) on 3
With
Tony Patterson - vocals on 1, 3
Tim Bowness - vocals on 7
Kate Faber - soprano voice on 2
Pete Hicks - vocals on 5
James Reeves - vocals on 8

Steve Hackett - guitar on 5, 6, 7
Andy Neve - backing vocals on 5, 8
Rob Townsend - soprano saxophone and flute on 7


Very interested in hearing this. I just ordered his previous album Children of Another God, as my familiarity with Mr. Magnus is rather lacking outside of his tenure with Steve Hackett in the 70s and 80s. Love his playing though!
User IP Logged

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5022
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #538 on: Mar 14th, 2014, 08:33am »

on Mar 13th, 2014, 1:47pm, Carpet Crawler wrote:
Very interested in hearing this. I just ordered his previous album Children of Another God, as my familiarity with Mr. Magnus is rather lacking outside of his tenure with Steve Hackett in the 70s and 80s. Love his playing though!


I expect you'll like it. IMO, the best concept album of the last 20 years or so.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Julian
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 428
xx Re: Prog news
« Reply #539 on: Mar 15th, 2014, 01:25am »

on Mar 14th, 2014, 08:33am, foxfeeder wrote:
I expect you'll like it. IMO, the best concept album of the last 20 years or so.


The best concept album of the last twenty years? Surely that's a bit much?
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2014, 01:28am by Julian » User IP Logged


http://startlingglass.blogspot.nl/
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38  ...  49 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls