Board Logo
« Ok..... Camel rule !!!!! »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2017, 8:26pm


Photobucket

« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122  ...  213 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!  (Read 88757 times)
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1785 on: Sep 12th, 2011, 06:39am »

on Sep 12th, 2011, 05:30am, Peter Beasley wrote:
The great thing about Camel is they vary their set from tour to tour and revive different old numbers more than some of their peers do - I'm thinking of Supertramp who never play anything off their first two albums and Wishbone Ash who concentrate on 'Argus' too much for my liking. Camel were courageous enough to drop 'Lady Fantasy' for 8 years.

It was a delight to hear 'Arubaluba', 'Chord Change', 'Slow Yourself Down', 'Echoes', 'Docks' and 'Beached' on more recent Camel tours and the fact that since 1992 Camel have taken to performing two and a half hour sets (as opposed to around 90 mins in the 70s and 80s) is wonderful.

Some of Camel's peers are almost like their own tribute bands. They record a new album, yet when they go on tour it's virtually ignored in favour of the same oldies (Supertramp again). It was very courageous of Camel to perform 'Dust and Dreams' and 'Harbour of Tears' in their entirity on the 1992 and 1997 tours, especially as they are semi-classical with lots of quiet passages; many fans would not have been familiar with them.

I hope Camel give 'Unevensong' and 'Hymn to Her' a rest next time and we hear perhaps 'The Sleeper' or 'Curiosity' - both great tracks which have not featured on live albums before.


I much prefer ' Unevensong ' and ' Hymn to Her ' to the other 2, but to each his own...' The Sleeper ' has a lot of sax too so can see why that hasn't been played much. There's so many songs we'd all choose a different dream set list at the end of the day. I'm very happy with all the gigs I managed to see. smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

alivecamel
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 67
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1786 on: Sep 13th, 2011, 8:16pm »

Good post Peter I agree entirely with your sentiment that Camel are more adventurous with their setlist than many bands. For example Genesis have usually frustrated by generally adding only songs from their most recent album and dropping oldies. They have rarely reintroduced songs off older albums.

But if I were to put together a dream setlist it would include Unevensong (of which I will never tire) along with some rarely/never performed gems such as Curiosity, Freefall, Metrognome, Breathless, Eye Of The Storm.

Guy said in an interview that they had an amazing setlist planned for the Farewell tour before he had to bow out due to illness; I've always wondered what that might have been.

At the final gig in Sheffield, Denis begged Andy to do Lunar sea for the final the "forced" encore, but Andy felt they would be under rehearsed. I think that's the problem with varying a setlist within the tour: the level of performance might suffer and with it your reputation.
User IP Logged

Peter Beasley
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 109
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1787 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 03:52am »

on Sep 13th, 2011, 8:16pm, alivecamel wrote:
Good post Peter I agree entirely with your sentiment that Camel are more adventurous with their setlist than many bands. For example Genesis have usually frustrated by generally adding only songs from their most recent album and dropping oldies. They have rarely reintroduced songs off older albums.

But if I were to put together a dream setlist it would include Unevensong (of which I will never tire) along with some rarely/never performed gems such as Curiosity, Freefall, Metrognome, Breathless, Eye Of The Storm.

Guy said in an interview that they had an amazing setlist planned for the Farewell tour before he had to bow out due to illness; I've always wondered what that might have been.

At the final gig in Sheffield, Denis begged Andy to do Lunar sea for the final the "forced" encore, but Andy felt they would be under rehearsed. I think that's the problem with varying a setlist within the tour: the level of performance might suffer and with it your reputation.

Yes, I was at Sheffield for the final night too and remember Denis begging Andy to do 'Lunar Sea'. They had been performing it earlier on the tour on U.S. dates, but dropped it, so they shouldn't have been that rusty. It was a bit of a let down that they had to resort to doing 'Lady Fantasy' for a second time, but it was an incredible evening with an atmosphere I've never experienced at any other gig.

The set list didn't change that much for The Farewell Tour. Apart from the above, 'Stationary Traveller' and 'Slow Yourself Down' quickly disappeared and the only real change on the European leg was 'Lawrence' was introduced to the set on later dates.
User IP Logged

http://peterbeasley.fourfour.com
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1788 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 07:16am »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 03:52am, Peter Beasley wrote:
Yes, I was at Sheffield for the final night too and remember Denis begging Andy to do 'Lunar Sea'. They had been performing it earlier on the tour on U.S. dates, but dropped it, so they shouldn't have been that rusty. It was a bit of a let down that they had to resort to doing 'Lady Fantasy' for a second time, but it was an incredible evening with an atmosphere I've never experienced at any other gig.

The set list didn't change that much for The Farewell Tour. Apart from the above, 'Stationary Traveller' and 'Slow Yourself Down' quickly disappeared and the only real change on the European leg was 'Lawrence' was introduced to the set on later dates.


Remember the last show was with Ton on keyboards, and maybe he hadn't rehearsed ' Lunar Sea ' enough. Personally I was VERY VERY happy to hear ' Lawrence ' which I feel suits Ton's style better. smiley smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1789 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 07:20am »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 03:52am, Peter Beasley wrote:
it was an incredible evening with an atmosphere I've never experienced at any other gig.


I quite agree with you on that point. It was so Wonderful!!! smiley smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

Peter Beasley
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 109
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1790 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 07:25am »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 07:16am, Squigelyfox wrote:
Remember the last show was with Ton on keyboards, and maybe he hadn't rehearsed ' Lunar Sea ' enough.
Good point Squigs. I'd forgotten that.
User IP Logged

http://peterbeasley.fourfour.com
alivecamel
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 67
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1791 on: Sep 14th, 2011, 07:59am »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 07:16am, Squigelyfox wrote:
Remember the last show was with Ton on keyboards, and maybe he hadn't rehearsed ' Lunar Sea ' enough. Personally I was VERY VERY happy to hear ' Lawrence ' which I feel suits Ton's style better. smiley smiley


Yes. Ton made a superb job of Arubaluba too, I thought the song suited his style and he gave it a pleasing up-tempo feel.
User IP Logged

Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1792 on: Sep 17th, 2011, 08:10am »

on Sep 14th, 2011, 07:59am, alivecamel wrote:
Yes. Ton made a superb job of Arubaluba too, I thought the song suited his style and he gave it a pleasing up-tempo feel.


Yeah, that was really great too! smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

Sahara_sunset
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Musician and composer


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 215
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1793 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 05:15am »

While waiting for Camel news, I've tried to collect albums by other artists which features Andy Latimer. Recently got the remastered Denis Quinn album and of course the David Minasian album too (Yep, I also have the Colin Bass one..)

Curious, what other albums did Andy play on?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011, 05:15am by Sahara_sunset » User IP Logged

Now playing: CAMEL
Metheny
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 75
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1794 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 06:46am »

on Sep 19th, 2011, 05:15am, Sahara_sunset wrote:
While waiting for Camel news, I've tried to collect albums by other artists which features Andy Latimer. Recently got the remastered Denis Quinn album and of course the David Minasian album too (Yep, I also have the Colin Bass one..)

Curious, what other albums did Andy play on?


A few months ago on Facebook a few people did some research and created a list. I'll try to find it...
User IP Logged

NedFlanders
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5084
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1795 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 10:05am »

on Sep 19th, 2011, 05:15am, Sahara_sunset wrote:
While waiting for Camel news, I've tried to collect albums by other artists which features Andy Latimer. Recently got the remastered Denis Quinn album and of course the David Minasian album too (Yep, I also have the Colin Bass one..)

Curious, what other albums did Andy play on?


He played on one track on the Kayak brilliant and best album ' Close to the Fire' although it was an acoustic guitar. Anyone not heard this album should seek it out.

Andy plays on a benefit album of 1985 called "Greenpeace - The album"? He plays on a duet by Chris Thompson with Hazel O'Connor called "push and shove" although he's not credited on the album.

Andy also features on the following albums:

Francis Monkman - Dweller On The Threshold
Michael Chapman - The Man Who Hated Mornings
Michael Chapman - Savage Amusement
Phillip Goodhand-Tait - I Think I'll Write A Song ( also with Doug Ferguson & Andy Ward )
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2011, 10:12am by NedFlanders » User IP Logged

Sahara_sunset
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Musician and composer


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 215
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1796 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 10:26am »

Thanks alot, Ned! Could be worth investigating smiley
User IP Logged

Now playing: CAMEL
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1797 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 11:19am »

on Sep 19th, 2011, 10:05am, NedFlanders wrote:
He played on one track on the Kayak brilliant and best album ' Close to the Fire' although it was an acoustic guitar. Anyone not heard this album should seek it out.


I could have sworn Andy plays electric guitar on there, are you seeing if I'm awake Ned?! cheesy Very fine album too. smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

David Minasian
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 200
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1798 on: Sep 19th, 2011, 12:56pm »

on Sep 19th, 2011, 11:19am, Squigelyfox wrote:
I could have sworn Andy plays electric guitar on there, are you seeing if I'm awake Ned?! cheesy Very fine album too. smiley


Just listened to it. It is electric with Andy's trademark lead guitar sound - and not an easy part to play either. The song has a celtic feel, could've fit well on Harbour of Tears. I agree, Close to the Fire is a great album all around, as is Colin's album Outcast of the Islands (a lost Camel album maybe?) cheesy

Dave
User IP Logged

www.davidminasian.com
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7486
xx Re: Ok..... Camel rule !!!!!
« Reply #1799 on: Sep 20th, 2011, 10:25am »

on Sep 19th, 2011, 12:56pm, dm wrote:
Just listened to it. It is electric with Andy's trademark lead guitar sound - and not an easy part to play either. The song has a celtic feel, could've fit well on Harbour of Tears. I agree, Close to the Fire is a great album all around, as is Colin's album Outcast of the Islands (a lost Camel album maybe?) cheesy

Dave


Yeah, I knew it was electric, was just teasing Ned! cheesy Really love that guitar on there and Colin's album. smiley
User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 120 121 122  ...  213 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls