Board Logo
« The Autobiography - coming on 20 October »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 21st, 2017, 05:30am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October  (Read 10696 times)
Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4701
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #45 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 09:41am »

on Nov 4th, 2016, 04:30am, landgreen wrote:
Just wanted to add that if anyone who has the interest to read this forum is going to get the book I'd highly recommend getting the audiobook. It's like sitting with Phil and enjoying listening to him share his life's journey in such a candid and amusing way, warts and all as he says. He is so funny and revealing in his narration of his own story.


Thanks, that does sound appealing.
User IP Logged

User Image
peterpyser
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 35
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #46 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 2:28pm »

on Nov 4th, 2016, 04:30am, landgreen wrote:
Just wanted to add that if anyone who has the interest to read this forum is going to get the book I'd highly recommend getting the audiobook. It's like sitting with Phil and enjoying listening to him share his life's journey in such a candid and amusing way, warts and all as he says. He is so funny and revealing in his narration of his own story.


Is it available in hi-res?
User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #47 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 3:08pm »

on Nov 4th, 2016, 2:28pm, peterpyser wrote:
Is it available in hi-res?


Lol!
I got the blu Ray audio deluxe version but I'm upset there are no demos or b sides
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6482
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #48 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 4:33pm »

I'll wait for the mono version...
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #49 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 4:43pm »

on Nov 4th, 2016, 4:33pm, HENRY wrote:
I'll wait for the mono version...


Zorky's working on it...
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
peterpyser
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 35
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #50 on: Nov 4th, 2016, 7:14pm »

on Nov 4th, 2016, 3:08pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
Lol!
I got the blu Ray audio deluxe version but I'm upset there are no demos or b sides


That's a shame.
If it included the reading outtakes where he messed up all the words i would have bought it in a heartbeat wink
User IP Logged

cubanrican
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 10
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #51 on: Nov 5th, 2016, 1:09pm »

Has anyone bought both the North America version AND the rest of the world version?

I thought I read somewhere that one version had more pages.

If anyone got a copy of both versions, is this really the case? Is one version longer than the other? Or is it a case of one version having a larger font size than the other, thus causing it to have more pages?
User IP Logged

FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1248
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #52 on: Nov 5th, 2016, 5:04pm »

A few thoughts as I delve into it. I'm up to the Lamb period.

I was fascinated by the story of his family & youth, then how he got into both music & acting.

I understood the disconnect he felt when he first encountered the leafy environs of Surrey, and the 'posh schoolboys'. But I was left baffled as to how he felt about them & how his relationship with each of them developed.

It seemed strange to me that he could give maybe a page & a half to a Genesis album but devote an entire chapter to his experience with All Things Must Pass. I realise he was hurt by that but I wanted to know more about the music he actually made.

His humour is very British, as is his reticence. And yet at least in his solo songs he lays himself bare. There is a big contradiction between Phil the man & Phil the songwriter.

I love having the signature, although it's very rushed, hardly the iconic script we know so well. I have something in my possession which has been touched by Phil Collins.
User IP Logged

User Image
Phil Rocks
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 89
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #53 on: Nov 5th, 2016, 7:22pm »

on Nov 5th, 2016, 5:04pm, FeelItComing wrote:
A few thoughts as I delve into it. I'm up to the Lamb period.

I was fascinated by the story of his family & youth, then how he got into both music & acting.

I understood the disconnect he felt when he first encountered the leafy environs of Surrey, and the 'posh schoolboys'. But I was left baffled as to how he felt about them & how his relationship with each of them developed.

It seemed strange to me that he could give maybe a page & a half to a Genesis album but devote an entire chapter to his experience with All Things Must Pass. I realise he was hurt by that but I wanted to know more about the music he actually made.

His humour is very British, as is his reticence. And yet at least in his solo songs he lays himself bare. There is a big contradiction between Phil the man & Phil the songwriter.

I love having the signature, although it's very rushed, hardly the iconic script we know so well. I have something in my possession which has been touched by Phil Collins.


You have, it's your heart grin
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2016, 1:38pm by Phil Rocks » User IP Logged

www.philcollins.co.nr
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1248
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #54 on: Nov 6th, 2016, 3:01pm »

on Nov 5th, 2016, 7:22pm, Phil Rocks wrote:
You have, it's your heart grin


How sweet! You'll Be In My Heart, indeed.
User IP Logged

User Image
Capt. Cabbage
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 149
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #55 on: Nov 7th, 2016, 6:41pm »

Does the audio version have every sentence ending with "you know"?

Drives me mad listening to his interviews! lol.

Regards
The Captain.
User IP Logged

User Image
alfredthegreat
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 487
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #56 on: Nov 7th, 2016, 7:01pm »

I've read the book.All 400 odd pages of it!
If you think life being a rock star was easy then think again!
I would like to say I enjoyed it,but enjoy is not the word I would choose!It's very honest,and he doesn't pull any punches in his assessment of himself and his career! Personally it's an excellent read,with his musical career with Genesis and solo stuff given decent coverage.The Live Aid fiasco is interesting,as is his eighties memories of stardom and the like.
For me however the high points of the book is by far his personal life experiences.Namely his marriages and ultimately divorces and his spiral downwards into alcoholism! How the mighty had fallen!
Life can be really brutal at times and PC has shown that in this book!
Thanks for being honest Phil! TOP BLOKE!
User IP Logged

Kerry95
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 668
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #57 on: Nov 9th, 2016, 08:19am »

the story behind 'both sides' has puzzled me a little. according to phil's words, the songs from that album were about his former girlfriend lavinia and not about his then wife, jill. they and jill eventually divorced because of the love for lavinia that phil publicly confessed. also, phil later fell in love with orianne, which made things even worse.

in other words, it seems like phil divorced jill as a consequence of recording the album 'both sides', and not the other way round as i had always thought.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2016, 08:23am by Kerry95 » User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #58 on: Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:22am »

I've certainly enjoyed reading the book but it's certainly no "warts and all" revelation. Some parts have been glossed over and other things have been glaringly omitted. But overall, I found it a good and at times funny account of his life
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1248
xx Re: The Autobiography - coming on 20 October
« Reply #59 on: Nov 23rd, 2016, 3:42pm »

on Nov 23rd, 2016, 12:22am, Yild4Genesis wrote:
I've certainly enjoyed reading the book but it's certainly no "warts and all" revelation. Some parts have been glossed over and other things have been glaringly omitted. But overall, I found it a good and at times funny account of his life


Would you care to elaborate on this?
User IP Logged

User Image
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls