Board Logo
« Genesis most masculine album »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 17th, 2018, 1:26pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Genesis most masculine album  (Read 2020 times)
Billys_Number
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 474
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #15 on: Nov 1st, 2017, 12:09pm »

I would agree The Lamb...is the most, in terms of lyrics. But in terms of overall feel, I would agree also that Genesis might fit this bill most. Abacab would be a close 2nd for me.


Although I might say their most feminine album is actually a tie between W&W and WCD. But yes if I had to choose just one, I'd say W&W.

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2017, 12:11pm by Billys_Number » User IP Logged

"...the thing I hate...is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate..."
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1358
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #16 on: Nov 1st, 2017, 5:48pm »

on Nov 1st, 2017, 12:09pm, Billys_Number wrote:
I would agree The Lamb...is the most, in terms of lyrics. But in terms of overall feel, I would agree also that Genesis might fit this bill most. Abacab would be a close 2nd for me.


Although I might say their most feminine album is actually a tie between W&W and WCD. But yes if I had to choose just one, I'd say W&W.



How is WCD feminine? Apart from Hold On My Heart that is. Is Tell Me Why feminine because it gets upset about the world? Is Fading Lights feminine because it talks about remembrance? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
User IP Logged

User Image
Billys_Number
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 474
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #17 on: Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:25am »

on Nov 1st, 2017, 5:48pm, FeelItComing wrote:
How is WCD feminine? Apart from Hold On My Heart that is. Is Tell Me Why feminine because it gets upset about the world? Is Fading Lights feminine because it talks about remembrance? I'm interested to hear your thoughts.


I'm simply kind of thinking mostly in terms of the general "softness" of the sound, as compared to the more rough-edged and heavy sound of Genesis, or Abacab.

Each of these albums on either side of course have their exceptions, but I would argue that songs like Abacab, Keep It Dark, Dodo/Lurker, Mama, That's All, 2nd Home By The Sea, and Just a Job To do feel just a little "rougher" than the likes of say...Never a Time, Hold On My Heart, Since I Lost You and Fading Lights.

If thinking only in terms of lyrics, then I'd say Genesis definitely sounds more masculine: A song about an obsession with an older prostitute, a song about a hitman, a song about a woman who's driving her man crazy. WCD simply seems more subdued and emotional in comparison. There, you have a song about the regrets of a failing relationship, a man in love who's reluctant to let himself fall in love, a song about the death of a loved one, and the passing of time and memories.

WCD just...feels softer and more delicate/emotional IMO, with the exception of like 2 or 3 (out of 12) songs.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:28am by Billys_Number » User IP Logged

"...the thing I hate...is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate..."
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1358
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #18 on: Nov 2nd, 2017, 4:32pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:25am, Billys_Number wrote:
I'm simply kind of thinking mostly in terms of the general "softness" of the sound, as compared to the more rough-edged and heavy sound of Genesis, or Abacab.

Each of these albums on either side of course have their exceptions, but I would argue that songs like Abacab, Keep It Dark, Dodo/Lurker, Mama, That's All, 2nd Home By The Sea, and Just a Job To do feel just a little "rougher" than the likes of say...Never a Time, Hold On My Heart, Since I Lost You and Fading Lights.

If thinking only in terms of lyrics, then I'd say Genesis definitely sounds more masculine: A song about an obsession with an older prostitute, a song about a hitman, a song about a woman who's driving her man crazy. WCD simply seems more subdued and emotional in comparison. There, you have a song about the regrets of a failing relationship, a man in love who's reluctant to let himself fall in love, a song about the death of a loved one, and the passing of time and memories.

WCD just...feels softer and more delicate/emotional IMO, with the exception of like 2 or 3 (out of 12) songs.


I see what you're saying but that excludes the title track, Jesus He Knows Me & Driving The Last Spike which are three of the most 'masculine' songs they ever wrote, and while Dreaming While You Sleep doesn't mention the driver's gender it sounds like a man.
User IP Logged

User Image
Chaim
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 84
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #19 on: Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:33am »

IMO masculine isn't "man" and feminine isn't "woman". They are qualities that can be in both. Therefore I don't think of songs with a male narrator as masculine. So, even if we choose to forget "man/woman" and think about the qualities, The Lamb is probably still pretty masculine. And even if we choose to ignore Rael's penis. grin

And, again, if we forget man/woman, I think WAW is indeed a pretty feminine album.
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2017, 09:37am by Chaim » User IP Logged

Billys_Number
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 474
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #20 on: Nov 5th, 2017, 12:33am »

on Nov 2nd, 2017, 4:32pm, FeelItComing wrote:
I see what you're saying but that excludes the title track, Jesus He Knows Me & Driving The Last Spike which are three of the most 'masculine' songs they ever wrote, and while Dreaming While You Sleep doesn't mention the driver's gender it sounds like a man.



Right. just as I mentioned "with the exception of about two or three." wink
User IP Logged

"...the thing I hate...is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate..."
FeelItComing
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 1358
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #21 on: Nov 5th, 2017, 4:15pm »

on Nov 5th, 2017, 12:33am, Billys_Number wrote:
Right. just as I mentioned "with the exception of about two or three." wink


So you did; sorry.

I have been listening to Fading Lights & it does have a very wistful, vaguely 'feminine' sound.
User IP Logged

User Image
Backdrifter
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 288
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #22 on: Dec 4th, 2017, 02:55am »

on Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:25am, Billys_Number wrote:
If thinking only in terms of lyrics, then I'd say Genesis definitely sounds more masculine: A song about an obsession with an older prostitute, a song about a hitman, a song about a woman who's driving her man crazy.

Although, the 'narrator' in That's All could be equally be a woman being driven nuts and why not a hitwoman in Just A Job?

That said, you left out Silver Rainbow, which is about the male orgasm.
User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4130
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #23 on: Dec 5th, 2017, 09:19am »

on Nov 2nd, 2017, 12:25am, Billys_Number wrote:
... a song about a woman who's driving her man crazy....

on Dec 4th, 2017, 02:55am, Backdrifter wrote:
Although, the 'narrator' in That's All could be equally be a woman being driven nuts and why not a hitwoman in Just A Job?


I have to agree that "That's All" is absolutely gender-neutral, which is a lyrical strength in my opinion!
User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Kerry95
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 687
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #24 on: Dec 6th, 2017, 08:23am »

on Dec 4th, 2017, 02:55am, Backdrifter wrote:
why not a hitwoman in Just A Job?


wow, i love strong tempered women!! wink
User IP Logged

Backdrifter
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 288
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #25 on: Dec 7th, 2017, 03:29am »

on Dec 6th, 2017, 08:23am, Kerry95 wrote:
wow, i love strong tempered women!! wink


In fact, you could argue a hitman or woman would have to be the opposite - calm, cool and clinical. But maybe that does it for you as well!
User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3264
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #26 on: Dec 7th, 2017, 4:06pm »

on Dec 6th, 2017, 08:23am, Kerry95 wrote:
wow, i love strong tempered women!! wink

You evidently never had an Italian girlfriend. Trust me, that would make you reassess things quickly. grin
User IP Logged

Billys_Number
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 474
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18th, 2017, 12:05am »

on Dec 4th, 2017, 02:55am, Backdrifter wrote:
Although, the 'narrator' in That's All could be equally be a woman being driven nuts and why not a hitwoman in Just A Job?

That said, you left out Silver Rainbow, which is about the male orgasm.


Didn't think about That's All that way, probz cos it was a man who sang the song...interesting thought though.

As for Just a Job To Do, of course a hitwoman is valid as well, but I'm thinking more in terms of the more rough-edged feel of the sound and the rather "PG-13" nature of the lyrics.

Didn't know that's what Silver Rainbow was about. Is it really? or is that a joke? Either way I'll never see that song the same way again...
User IP Logged

"...the thing I hate...is staying up late, to watch some debate, on some nation's fate..."
Backdrifter
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 288
xx Re: Genesis most masculine album
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18th, 2017, 05:55am »

on Dec 18th, 2017, 12:05am, Billys_Number wrote:
Didn't know that's what Silver Rainbow was about. Is it really? or is that a joke? Either way I'll never see that song the same way again...

I genuinely heard that's what it's about, and it makes sense. It's about that moment of complete abandon when nothing else matters, plus the clues are also in "coming or going" and the title - an arc of silveriness - well, you know...

The notion of That's All being equally valid in a woman's voice was brought home to me at a gig on the IT tour when PC announced the song as being about "living with someone who's a pain in the arse" and a female friend said, in a very heartfelt way, that comment and the song's lyrics rang very true for her.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2017, 05:56am by Backdrifter » User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls