Board Logo
« FGTR Remixes Released »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 19th, 2017, 1:26pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: FGTR Remixes Released  (Read 3160 times)
HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 453
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #30 on: May 17th, 2017, 07:10am »

I remember when The Beatles released a "naked" version of the Let It Be album. Their intention was to release a "stripped down" version of the album with a live feel and no overdubs or extra instrumentation. I think it would be a worthy release if they could do that to all the songs on From Genesis To Revelation by producing an album with all the strings removed in the original album order. There are a few tracks that have yet to get the "removed stings" treatment as far as I know:

Am I Very Wrong
Window
In Limbo
A Place To Call My Own
User IP Logged

Serpent
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 9
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #31 on: May 17th, 2017, 08:24am »

on May 17th, 2017, 07:10am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
There are a few tracks that have yet to get the "removed stings" treatment as far as I know:

Am I Very Wrong
Window
In Limbo
A Place To Call My Own


The strings are removed on the new mix of A Place to Call My Own.

The thing that frustrates me with this release is the seemingly random selection of tracks. It could have been so much better, it just feels a little half-baked to me, half of it essential but with an equal amount of unecessary filler. On the positive side the remixes with the strings removed are a big improvement (although some appear to be mono and some stereo for some reason) and we get (as far as I can recall) the first ever stereo release of One Eyed Hound, but quite a few of the tracks appear to be no different to the familiar versions and the vocal-only mixes are a waste of time. Why not just do it properly and give us strings-removed remixes of all the songs on the multitracks they have, although the cynic in me feels they're probably destined for volume 2 - this is Jonathan King after all.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2017, 10:15am by Serpent » User IP Logged

peterpyser
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 35
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #32 on: May 18th, 2017, 04:58am »

It would be good to know what other songs are on those reels for sure.
I hope there is From The Bottom Of A Well, which should have been the original b-side to Where The Sour Turns To Sweet 7" before being substituted with In Hiding.
I also wish the complete version of Visions Of Angels recorded during the FGTR sessions is there as well, together with some other lost ones, like White Mountain and Pacidy from the 20th Aug 1969 sessions.

Mr King would likely try to capitalize those newly discovered tapes at best, so it is quite probable there will be more volumes of 50 Years Ago in the near future.
User IP Logged

Max
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 14
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #33 on: May 22nd, 2017, 9:44pm »

If you use any audio editor to mute the one channel most of the instruments were panned to you can get a pretty decent vocal only (well some horns or strings might pop up sometime) version of a lot of the songs. Are the vocal only tracks the same thing I'm describing or actually legitimate from the masters?
User IP Logged

MicSmith
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 73
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #34 on: May 29th, 2017, 3:27pm »

on May 18th, 2017, 04:58am, peterpyser wrote:
It would be good to know what other songs are on those reels for sure.
I hope there is From The Bottom Of A Well, which should have been the original b-side to Where The Sour Turns To Sweet 7" before being substituted with In Hiding.
I also wish the complete version of Visions Of Angels recorded during the FGTR sessions is there as well, together with some other lost ones, like White Mountain and Pacidy from the 20th Aug 1969 sessions.

Mr King would likely try to capitalize those newly discovered tapes at best, so it is quite probable there will be more volumes of 50 Years Ago in the near future.


The track From the Bottom of a Well was recorded in 1967 at Advision on an aborted attempt at "Sour Turns Sweet" for single release, as it was then called. In Hiding was always the b side of their third single after FGTR was issued.

White Mountain and Pacidy are in the hands of Tony Banks and were recorded after the contract with Jonjo lapsed so are unlikely to be among the recovered master tapes.

Visions of Angels is likely to be among the master tapes though and it's only a matter of time before it gets released.

I for one really appreciate this material coming to light - Chris Stewart doesn't recall being on A Winters Tale and yet the studio chat on the false starts finally confirms that he was. I agree that the vocal tracks are pointless. But the rest of the new mixes are brilliant.

A volume 2 is a forgone conclusion surely?
User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #35 on: May 29th, 2017, 3:45pm »

Volume 2 maybe held up from court action I have heard...
rolleyes
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
MicSmith
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 73
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #36 on: May 29th, 2017, 4:02pm »

on May 29th, 2017, 3:45pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
Volume 2 maybe held up from court action I have heard...
rolleyes


Really? Who is taking action?
User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2324
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #37 on: May 29th, 2017, 4:50pm »

on May 29th, 2017, 3:45pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
Volume 2 maybe held up from court action I have heard...
rolleyes

The court action of Jonathan King currently being prosecuted under “Operation Ravine”? The name’s probably a coincidence, but you can’t help wondering.... rolleyes
User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #38 on: May 29th, 2017, 6:38pm »

Watch this space...
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
peterpyser
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 35
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #39 on: Jun 1st, 2017, 05:07am »

on May 29th, 2017, 3:27pm, MicSmith wrote:
The track From the Bottom of a Well was recorded in 1967 at Advision on an aborted attempt at "Sour Turns Sweet" for single release, as it was then called. In Hiding was always the b side of their third single after FGTR was issued.

White Mountain and Pacidy are in the hands of Tony Banks and were recorded after the contract with Jonjo lapsed so are unlikely to be among the recovered master tapes.

Visions of Angels is likely to be among the master tapes though and it's only a matter of time before it gets released.

I for one really appreciate this material coming to light - Chris Stewart doesn't recall being on A Winters Tale and yet the studio chat on the false starts finally confirms that he was. I agree that the vocal tracks are pointless. But the rest of the new mixes are brilliant.

A volume 2 is a forgone conclusion surely?


So, having From the Bottom of a Well been recorded at Advision, keeps it out of this game i suppose.
Anyway, have you got any info about it? Does the tape still exist? Has it already been saved and transferred to digital?

A 50 Years Ago Vol. 2 just seems a logical consequence, hoping the legal matters evidenced by Yild4Genesis don't hold it back.

Another question: is track 1 (In Hiding Vocals Only) chopped at the very beginning on everyone's download?
User IP Logged

MicSmith
Moonlit Knight
ImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 73
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #40 on: Jun 1st, 2017, 06:42am »

on Jun 1st, 2017, 05:07am, peterpyser wrote:
So, having From the Bottom of a Well been recorded at Advision, keeps it out of this game i suppose.
Anyway, have you got any info about it? Does the tape still exist? Has it already been saved and transferred to digital?

A 50 Years Ago Vol. 2 just seems a logical consequence, hoping the legal matters evidenced by Yild4Genesis don't hold it back.

Another question: is track 1 (In Hiding Vocals Only) chopped at the very beginning on everyone's download?


Not necessarily - as far as I know the Advision session was arranged by Jonjo (the dates don't quite tie up though based on what has been said about the Advision recordings being in August 1967) unless they were allowed to record there before the Contract to Appoint a Recording Manager was fully signed off in September.

It could therefore be among the master recordings that were recently unearthed. When the band were looking for Archive 1 material Tony Banks said the tape couldn't be found but that was 20 years ago so it could well have been found since then.

Yes I hope so too, provided we don't get inundated with release after release after release with each one being a rehash of what came before.

It would be good though to have remastered versions of the unreleased tracks from the master tapes plus without strings or brass renditions of anything currently unreleased.

Not sure without checking my copy of In Hiding but I'm fairly sure I played this a couple of times and didn't notice a problem.

Where did you get the download from? Mine was from ITunes.


Mic
User IP Logged

peterpyser
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 35
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #41 on: Jun 1st, 2017, 07:22am »

on Jun 1st, 2017, 06:42am, MicSmith wrote:
Not necessarily - as far as I know the Advision session was arranged by Jonjo (the dates don't quite tie up though based on what has been said about the Advision recordings being in August 1967) unless they were allowed to record there before the Contract to Appoint a Recording Manager was fully signed off in September.

It could therefore be among the master recordings that were recently unearthed. When the band were looking for Archive 1 material Tony Banks said the tape couldn't be found but that was 20 years ago so it could well have been found since then.

Yes I hope so too, provided we don't get inundated with release after release after release with each one being a rehash of what came before.

It would be good though to have remastered versions of the unreleased tracks from the master tapes plus without strings or brass renditions of anything currently unreleased.

Not sure without checking my copy of In Hiding but I'm fairly sure I played this a couple of times and didn't notice a problem.

Where did you get the download from? Mine was from ITunes.


Mic


Many thanks for all your info.
So, we can continue hoping From The Bottom Of A Well can see the light of day sometime.
I don't know why, but i sense it is a good song.

Regarding 50 Years Ago, i downloaded it in FLAC from somewhere else, only because it wasn't available to buy in lossless anywhere.
User IP Logged

CyanideWand
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"There's a smell of peach blossoms and bitter almond."


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 276
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #42 on: Jun 1st, 2017, 4:21pm »

It seems like I remember having a problem such as yours with my download from somewhere else. So I downloaded it from somewhere else again and that fixed it.
User IP Logged

User Image
CyanideWand
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"There's a smell of peach blossoms and bitter almond."


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 276
xx Re: FGTR Remixes Released
« Reply #43 on: Jun 4th, 2017, 4:30pm »

Unfortunately my tracks 1 and 3 are defective as well. Does anyone who bought the FLAC feel like sharing those two tracks for those who can't purchase from Qobuz due to country restrictions?
User IP Logged

User Image
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls