Board Logo
« Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion? »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 20th, 2017, 12:40am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  7 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?  (Read 8882 times)
Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3096
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #45 on: Mar 26th, 2017, 06:50am »

on Mar 26th, 2017, 04:55am, foxfeeder wrote:
New material.

And if they re-arranged old material, definitely NOT like they did with Carpet Crawlers! wink

As I said, it is quite an interesting thought, Phil and Tony must have been piling up songs without any real outlet.
I can't see them together on album because of how apart some of the members grew musically: Peter and Steve for instance or even Peter and Tony but this distance and their creativity is exactly what could make this idea terribly interesting. I'm with you regarding the new version of CC. wink
« Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2017, 06:51am by Fabrizio » User IP Logged

TonyEdwards
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 329
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #46 on: Mar 26th, 2017, 12:21pm »

Let's be honest, if a reunion is going to happen, it won't be Steve Hackett who is the catalyst. For that reason alone, I'm not too excited by this story.
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3096
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #47 on: Mar 26th, 2017, 5:24pm »

on Mar 26th, 2017, 12:21pm, TonyEdwards wrote:
Let's be honest, if a reunion is going to happen, it won't be Steve Hackett who is the catalyst. For that reason alone, I'm not too excited by this story.

True, Steve has probably the least leverage among the 5 and only one still has the keys... wink
User IP Logged

flunky
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 43
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #48 on: Mar 27th, 2017, 4:21pm »

In practical terms, just how marketable is the classic Genesis lineup. They were a moderately successful act in the mid-70s, but superstar status for both Gabriel and the rest of them didn't arrive until the late 70s and early 80s. Basically, the portion of Genesis fans who see Genesis as "Gabriel-Banks-Rutherford-Collins-Hackett" is pretty small compared to the Genesis fans who see the band as "Phil Collins and those two other guys."

I can see maybe something like the Milton Keynes reunion, a sort of one-off event that could probably do reasonably well. But beyond that I doubt there would be that much demand. I'm not dissing Gabriel-era Genesis, it's just that it never was nearly as successful as the three man lineup, and I'd argue that the Collins-Banks-Rutherford lineup only got as big as it did was because Phil Collins was basically one of the biggest musical acts in the 1980s, and, quite unfairly of course, a lot of people simply saw Genesis during that period as an extension of Collins' solo work.

I have my doubts such a reunion would ever take place. Collins has already said that he can't play drums, so he'd have nothing to do if Gabriel and Hackett returned. Unless this electroshock therapy is some fantastical success, he's not not likely to be doing much more than the drum fill in ITAT on his own tour.

So I really cannot see the five-man lineup returning to the stage in any significant way. Maybe they'd do a Pink Floyd style mini-set, with Peter and Phil trading vocals, but I find even that improbable.

A three-man lineup seems much more likely to me, in no small part because:

1. Phil can basically get away without any drumming at all. Sure, they'll have to cull the more instrumental-oriented pieces, or at least trim them down. Phil probably spent no more than 15-20 minutes a night behind the kit from Duke onward, so they could easily replace something like Los Endos.
2. Like it or not, that lineup is a lot better known and a lot more commercially viable.

All that being said, I find the likelihood of any Genesis reunion very low indeed. I think a lot of it depends on how Phil handles the European tour, which I'm assuming, if he does well at, he'll probably bring across the Atlantic. If he is physically up to it and his voice can hold out, then maybe there will be some sort of a Genesis reunion, but maybe this "comeback" is just a better kind of farewell than the 2010 mini-tour. Or maybe he's just interested in relaunching his solo tour.

I also wonder these days if even Tony and Mike are all that into it. I don't get the sense that either of them are nearly as nostalgic for the five-man days, and Mike, at least, has publicly shown little interest in any kind of reunion.
User IP Logged

Dr. John
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 664
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #49 on: Mar 27th, 2017, 5:48pm »

I think the chances of the 5-man line-up getting together to create music together is slim to none. The chances of the 5-man line-up getting together for a one-off performance or short series of shows is a little more possible. I'd be happy with that if it was well-rehearsed. It will never sound like they did in 1974, but that's fine.

The chances of a 3-man reunion are more likely because they continued working together a lot longer than the 5-man version. While the chances of new music is still low, I like the chances a lot better than for the 5-man line-up writing new material. A 3-man show or series of shows also stands more chance, but I would be less excited about that because we already had a great reunion and I'm satisfied if we left it at that.
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3096
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #50 on: Mar 27th, 2017, 7:14pm »

on Mar 27th, 2017, 4:21pm, flunky wrote:
In practical terms, just how marketable is the classic Genesis lineup. They were a moderately successful act in the mid-70s, but superstar status for both Gabriel and the rest of them didn't arrive until the late 70s and early 80s. Basically, the portion of Genesis fans who see Genesis as "Gabriel-Banks-Rutherford-Collins-Hackett" is pretty small compared to the Genesis fans who see the band as "Phil Collins and those two other guys."

I can see maybe something like the Milton Keynes reunion, a sort of one-off event that could probably do reasonably well. But beyond that I doubt there would be that much demand. I'm not dissing Gabriel-era Genesis, it's just that it never was nearly as successful as the three man lineup, and I'd argue that the Collins-Banks-Rutherford lineup only got as big as it did was because Phil Collins was basically one of the biggest musical acts in the 1980s, and, quite unfairly of course, a lot of people simply saw Genesis during that period as an extension of Collins' solo work.

I have my doubts such a reunion would ever take place. Collins has already said that he can't play drums, so he'd have nothing to do if Gabriel and Hackett returned. Unless this electroshock therapy is some fantastical success, he's not not likely to be doing much more than the drum fill in ITAT on his own tour.

So I really cannot see the five-man lineup returning to the stage in any significant way. Maybe they'd do a Pink Floyd style mini-set, with Peter and Phil trading vocals, but I find even that improbable.

A three-man lineup seems much more likely to me, in no small part because:

1. Phil can basically get away without any drumming at all. Sure, they'll have to cull the more instrumental-oriented pieces, or at least trim them down. Phil probably spent no more than 15-20 minutes a night behind the kit from Duke onward, so they could easily replace something like Los Endos.
2. Like it or not, that lineup is a lot better known and a lot more commercially viable.

All that being said, I find the likelihood of any Genesis reunion very low indeed. I think a lot of it depends on how Phil handles the European tour, which I'm assuming, if he does well at, he'll probably bring across the Atlantic. If he is physically up to it and his voice can hold out, then maybe there will be some sort of a Genesis reunion, but maybe this "comeback" is just a better kind of farewell than the 2010 mini-tour. Or maybe he's just interested in relaunching his solo tour.

I also wonder these days if even Tony and Mike are all that into it. I don't get the sense that either of them are nearly as nostalgic for the five-man days, and Mike, at least, has publicly shown little interest in any kind of reunion.

Quite insightful and objective.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2017, 7:25pm by Fabrizio » User IP Logged

Schrottrocker
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4693
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #51 on: Mar 28th, 2017, 12:41pm »

on Mar 27th, 2017, 5:48pm, Dr. John wrote:
The chances of the 5-man line-up getting together for a one-off performance or short series of shows is a little more possible. I'd be happy with that if it was well-rehearsed. It will never sound like they did in 1974, but that's fine.


That's an interesting thought, some one-off performance might indeed come to happen within the forthcoming few decades but I'd be really curious what they would sound like. I was surprised quite a lot how different they sounded already on the 1982 Milton Keynes bootleg, it was Genesis as they were in 1982 with guest singer Peter Gabriel as he was in 1982, it was nothing like way back when they were still one band.
User IP Logged

HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6482
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #52 on: Mar 28th, 2017, 12:50pm »

on Mar 28th, 2017, 12:41pm, Schrottrocker wrote:
That's an interesting thought, some one-off performance might indeed come to happen within the forthcoming few decades but I'd be really curious what they would sound like. I was surprised quite a lot how different they sounded already on the 1982 Milton Keynes bootleg, it was Genesis as they were in 1982 with guest singer Peter Gabriel as he was in 1982, it was nothing like way back when they were still one band.

The band themselves acknowledge that they really didn't sound their best at MK.
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6482
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #53 on: Mar 28th, 2017, 1:03pm »

on Mar 27th, 2017, 5:48pm, Dr. John wrote:
I think the chances of the 5-man line-up getting together to create music together is slim to none. The chances of the 5-man line-up getting together for a one-off performance or short series of shows is a little more possible. I'd be happy with that if it was well-rehearsed. It will never sound like they did in 1974, but that's fine.

Of course they wouldn't sound like they did over 40 years ago, but I don't think that would really be the point . Even the remotest expectation of that would be plain silly. However, a series of gigs, kind of like what Kate Bush did recently, isn't out of the realm of possibility. And I highly doubt there would be any interest for them to actually write and record new material.

Quote:
The chances of a 3-man reunion are more likely because they continued working together a lot longer than the 5-man version. While the chances of new music is still low, I like the chances a lot better than for the 5-man line-up writing new material. A 3-man show or series of shows also stands more chance, but I would be less excited about that because we already had a great reunion and I'm satisfied if we left it at that.

I'm not so sure if they would be interested in doing the 3-man thing once again, or if there would be any motive at all for it. Of course, anything is still possible at this point, but I'd say that the best odds are for some sort of 5-man reunion performances.

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2017, 10:35am by HENRY » User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
Backdrifter
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 203
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #54 on: Mar 30th, 2017, 04:01am »

Just talking about a reunion of any kind is psychologically comforting and feels like it provides some hope, but I'm with those who believe it's highly unlikely and won't happen. In whatever form it happened, PC can't drum which immediately puts a dampener on it.
User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
CyanideWand
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"There's a smell of peach blossoms and bitter almond."


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 273
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #55 on: Mar 30th, 2017, 1:06pm »

Peter Gabriel is a drummer.

If you guys don't want Nic to do it, maybe Peter can learn the parts and it could be an all Phil hits show with Peter as drummer.
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2017, 1:08pm by CyanideWand » User IP Logged

User Image
Backdrifter
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 203
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #56 on: Mar 31st, 2017, 4:31pm »

on Mar 24th, 2017, 09:53am, Fabrizio wrote:
Bongos!? You would like to see Phil playing that?


on Mar 24th, 2017, 11:00am, AnythingNow wrote:
Yes, I would! I enjoy this performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfiKfDvgQjw


Or, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_6w2ZwIpYg
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2017, 4:33pm by Backdrifter » User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6482
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #57 on: Apr 5th, 2017, 4:54pm »

on Mar 24th, 2017, 9:25pm, Fabrizio wrote:
Not quite the same isn't it? Both of them are quite active Peter live and Sting live and recording, in fact they have been touring incessantly, both of them are singers who can still bring it, the way they used to, their performances can absolutely be compared to those of decades ago, neither of them is or has retired, evidently they still feel like going on and they do so in a very dignified way. Genesis is a whole different scenario for various reasons I would say.

Well, that really is neither accurate nor a fair assessment.

Peter had stepped away from touring for almost a decade. His singing and stage persona has certainly changed distinctly since the "Secret World" tour (let alone his early solo and Genesis), clearly reflecting that he is an older guy. Pretending that isn't so is just denialism.

Sting, obviously more fit, has been performing more regularly, but he too isn't the same guy who played back in the 80's. He's more subdued on stage these days and his voice also has been affected by the years.

"...they do so in a very dignified way."
And what the heck does this mean anyway?
Could you refer to a specific related example that could demonstrate an undignified way?

The parallel to Genesis here, whatever your vague assertion is, just doesn't make any sense.

Mike and Steve have been playing live regularly, and there doesn't seem to be any genuine reason to assume that Tony is incapable of performing. So, what is the real issue here?

This is just about Phil, isn't it?

You've made a broad assumption, based on nothing more than...what, actually? You are being dismissive of his capabilities without anything to support that perception. That's just being cynical.
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3096
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #58 on: Apr 5th, 2017, 5:18pm »

on Apr 5th, 2017, 4:54pm, HENRY wrote:
This is just about Phil, isn't it?

You've made a broad assumption, based on nothing more than...what, actually? You are being dismissive of his capabilities without anything to support that perception. That's just being cynical.

I'll let the rest slide, I learned long ago you are incapable of debating without dropping personal remarks and as usual you are enjoying it but....
It is evidently about Phil, if Tony had arthritis and couldn't play,it would be about Tony and it wouldn't mean I am trashing him, would it?
Phil can't drum, he said it himself, it has been widely reported and it is not an assumption or a perception, if you have different data, news and info please share it or be quiet. Does it mean that I am being dismissive? Where? How? it's simpy the way it is. I am more sorry than you can imagine but I accept it.
As for the singing, is it unfair and dismissive to say that he cannot sing Genesis material the way he used to? Seems to me another fact and if your ears function halfway OK you will agree. So no slight there either.
The REAL problem seems to be another: would some fans enjoy to hear him sing those songs anyway, anyhow?
I am sure they would, it has been made quite clear in this thread where btw in the beginning I said specifically that I knew I would be in the minority. Do I have a problem with that? None! Would I enjoy it? No, not so much, I am sure I may. What your problem with that is, I don't know and I don't need to know, not really interested, since we are talking about personal preferences but I'm sure as usual you will make it a point to tell me.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2017, 6:08pm by Fabrizio » User IP Logged

AnythingNow
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 305
xx Re: Steve Hackett working on Genesis reunion?
« Reply #59 on: Apr 6th, 2017, 08:05am »

on Apr 5th, 2017, 4:54pm, HENRY wrote:
"...they do so in a very dignified way."
And what the heck does this mean anyway?
Could you refer to a specific related example that could demonstrate an undignified way?


I can't speak for Fabrizio, but I come to think of Meat Loaf.

I've been watching a few clips of his concerts of recent years on Youtube. Clearly his once strong singing voice is totally gone. In some concerts he sounds like a crow, in others he is whispering or hissing out the lyrics. He has a really tight band though, and its members do a lot of backup singing to cover up for Meat Loaf's incapabilities. He has fainted at least twice (as seen on Youtube), once on a lawn on a festival, once on stage. One of the band members had to yell out to the crowd to ask if there was a doctor present.

I like Meat Loaf's music, so I don't say this to bash him. But fact is fact: in my opinion this is an undignified way for Meat Loaf to pursue his career. I prefer to think that the Genesis guys have the judgment to realize when the time has come to quit.
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  7 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls