Board Logo
« Since I Lost You »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 23rd, 2018, 7:50pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Since I Lost You  (Read 1169 times)
HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 467
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #45 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 11:01am »

I think for the most part, WCD was a good time for Genesis to stop. The album as a whole was ok. I only consider Driving The Last Spike and Fading Lights to be standout tracks. The rest is mediocre. I think this album was showing signs that Genesis' song writing was beginning to dry up. Thankfully we have a large back catalog of music to draw from!
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #46 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 11:22am »

on Nov 9th, 2017, 11:01am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
I think for the most part, WCD was a good time for Genesis to stop. The album as a whole was ok. I only consider Driving The Last Spike and Fading Lights to be standout tracks. The rest is mediocre. I think this album was showing signs that Genesis' song writing was beginning to dry up. Thankfully we have a large back catalog of music to draw from!

I would add No son of mine to the ones you mentioned and Dreaming while you sleep isn't bad either, although, to be clear, not G-brilliance level. As for the rest I would agree with you and yes, personally I am ever grateful for the moments they gave me. WCD is, to my ears, a tired record but heroes get tired too.
User IP Logged

CyanideWand
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"There's a smell of peach blossoms and bitter almond."


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 279
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #47 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 1:35pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2017, 09:04am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
When I first heard the WCD album, Since I Lost You fell off my radar. To me it sounded like Genesis was trying to do a tribute to the "50's sound." It did catch my ear when I heard Phil do a version of it for Storytellers back in 1997. The story behind the song was Genesis wrote it after they heard about the death of Eric Clapton's son.

Just this week, I lost a good friend of mine who died unexpectedly. He was only 46 (I'm 47). I listened to the Storytellers version again and it really hit home for me as tears welled up in my eyes. I posted a tribute to my friend on Facebook for those that know him could see and I included the youtube audio of the song. I was overwhelmed to hear how many people loved the song and commented on how beautiful it is. I guess you never know until you experience a similar situation for yourself...



Strange, you’re the second person this week who has lost a 46 year old friend. Someone on a Beatles forum posted the same.
User IP Logged

User Image
Kerry95
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 687
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #48 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 3:02pm »

since i lost you sounds to me like a phil solo song where tony and mike played as session musicians. i don't think they were very happy to play that song, specially tony.

as for the lyrics, i would have never worked out what it was about. as it's been said, it seems just a song about a love breakup.
User IP Logged

onetwothree
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2384
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #49 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 3:23pm »

on Nov 9th, 2017, 3:02pm, Kerry95 wrote:
since i lost you sounds to me like a phil solo song where tony and mike played as session musicians. i don't think they were very happy to play that song, specially tony.

I know that all their songs were officially credited to Banks/Collins/Rutherford at the time, but I have to wonder how much Tony & Mike actually contributed to the writing of SILY.
User IP Logged

The best apology you can give for how you've lived your life in the past is to change it completely.
-- Douglas Armstrong
Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #50 on: Nov 9th, 2017, 3:44pm »

on Nov 9th, 2017, 3:23pm, onetwothree wrote:
I know that all their songs were officially credited to Banks/Collins/Rutherford at the time, but I have to wonder how much Tony & Mike actually contributed to the writing of SILY.

I am not sure the music is Phil's but I really don't know.
User IP Logged

HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 467
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #51 on: Nov 10th, 2017, 07:15am »

on Nov 9th, 2017, 11:22am, Fabrizio wrote:
I would add No son of mine to the ones you mentioned and Dreaming while you sleep isn't bad either, although, to be clear, not G-brilliance level. As for the rest I would agree with you and yes, personally I am ever grateful for the moments they gave me. WCD is, to my ears, a tired record but heroes get tired too.


Yes, I forgot to put DWYS in there! NSOM was exciting for me to hear when the album came out because it was the first impression we got of the new material. Personally for me it hasn't stood the test of time well. Even during the 2007 tour, I think it was the "Debbie Downer" of the setlist. I would have much preferred they play Abacab, but Phil couldn't "get behind it" for the tour. Now where have I heard that expression used before? grin
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #52 on: Nov 10th, 2017, 09:42am »

on Nov 10th, 2017, 07:15am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
I would have much preferred they play Abacab, but Phil couldn't "get behind it" for the tour.

On occasions, I totally agree with Phil


wink
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #53 on: Nov 10th, 2017, 09:44am »

on Nov 10th, 2017, 07:15am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
I would have much preferred they play Abacab, but Phil couldn't "get behind it" for the tour.

On occasions, I totally agree with Phil


wink
User IP Logged

HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 467
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #54 on: Nov 10th, 2017, 10:06am »

on Nov 10th, 2017, 09:44am, Fabrizio wrote:
On occasions, I totally agree with Phil


wink


There must be an echo in here! grin

Everyone knows you can't make Phil do something he doesn't want to. I'm sure it was bad enough that he had to sing "sheets of double glazing", but I enjoyed it! cool
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #55 on: Nov 10th, 2017, 10:15am »

on Nov 10th, 2017, 10:06am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
There must be an echo in here! grin

Everyone knows you can't make Phil do something he doesn't want to. I'm sure it was bad enough that he had to sing "sheets of double glazing", but I enjoyed it! cool

I think it's more then fair that the singer has some sort of connection with the words coming out of his mouth.
He is without a doubt my least favorite lyricist in the band, including Peter, Steve and even Ant but he is the singer, so.....
User IP Logged

Kerry95
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 687
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #56 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 2:50pm »

on Nov 10th, 2017, 07:15am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
Yes, I forgot to put DWYS in there! NSOM was exciting for me to hear when the album came out because it was the first impression we got of the new material. Personally for me it hasn't stood the test of time well. Even during the 2007 tour, I think it was the "Debbie Downer" of the setlist. I would have much preferred they play Abacab, but Phil couldn't "get behind it" for the tour. Now where have I heard that expression used before? grin


it bothers me how phil has become so fussy about lyrics. he was a drummer who became a singer and songwriter by chance, but he has ended up believing that he's leonard cohen or something.
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3243
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #57 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 4:38pm »

on Nov 11th, 2017, 2:50pm, Kerry95 wrote:
it bothers me how phil has become so fussy about lyrics. he was a drummer who became a singer and songwriter by chance, but he has ended up believing that he's leonard cohen or something.


It's funny, because I like him very much and I respect his talent immensely, however, I believe you have a valid point.
He left Genesis because he wanted to sing his stuff, things that resonated with him, coming from a deeper place which I think is more than legitimate, at the same time I think he wanted to fight back against that image of him which he created in the 80s and some press never quite forgave him for. He attempted to become more intimate and more ''serious'' but personally, I really don't believe he is that kind of artist. Heart on the sleeve works when it's sincere and that usually happens when you as an artist are sincere, meaning you are actually going through stuff. It worked for him in several songs. Beyond that department Phil, as lyricist has imo a light touch, to put it very mildly and for my money he was never quite believable when he tried to dig deeper. About his fussiness about somebody else's lyrics, I see what you mean, particularly when I personally don't rate him very high as a lyricist but I would still maintain that a singer needs to have the last word on what he sings. He penned an unusual high number of lyrics on WCD, personally I was really not happy about it, although he did a good job on a couple of them, the rest was simply appalling but apparently they all stopped caring, after all Mike penned the way of the world and boy, is that one bad!
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2017, 07:35am by Fabrizio » User IP Logged

HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 467
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11th, 2017, 11:02am »

Tony usually pens some quirky lyrics. However, listening to the lyrics for Fading Lights, it makes you wonder if he was going through something at the time because the lyrics are so far removed from anything else Tony has written, IMO.
User IP Logged

Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4129
xx Re: Since I Lost You
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12th, 2017, 12:19pm »

on Dec 11th, 2017, 11:02am, HomeByTheSea wrote:
Tony usually pens some quirky lyrics. However, listening to the lyrics for Fading Lights, it makes you wonder if he was going through something at the time because the lyrics are so far removed from anything else Tony has written, IMO.


I don't know about that - Tony has written a lot of what he calls "terminal songs", and "Fading Lights" seems to be on a pretty similar theme. I'm thinking of songs like "Undertow", "Cul-de-Sac", "Me and Sarah Jane", "Something Never", "The Final Curtain", and a significant part of A Curious Feeling.
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2017, 12:19pm by Merryman72 » User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls