Board Logo
« fading lights »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 22nd, 2018, 6:01pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: fading lights  (Read 1889 times)
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9328
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17th, 2015, 3:39pm »

To be perfectly honest, sometimes I completely love the song from start to finish. Other times I find it a chore to get through the first four minutes, but then it's always awesome. smiley
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14191
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 07:05am »

on Apr 17th, 2015, 3:39pm, Dust wrote:
To be perfectly honest, sometimes I completely love the song from start to finish. Other times I find it a chore to get through the first four minutes, but then it's always awesome. smiley

I feel the same way about it. Excellent track, but it takes a tad too long to truly get going.
User IP Logged

unclealbert
Guest
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 2:07pm »

A superb song and even better live. A masterpiece cool cool cool
User IP Logged

TheLadyLies
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4148
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 3:15pm »

I always liked this song! smiley I also think the lyrics are very significant as it was the end of an era for Genesis! undecided
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2015, 3:16pm by TheLadyLies » User IP Logged

FlyOnAWindshield
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 130
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18th, 2015, 8:52pm »

on Apr 17th, 2015, 3:31pm, AnythingNow wrote:
It's an amazing feeling when you rediscover a song that you've known very long. smiley

"Fading Lights" is definately one of my favourites. Also, if I remember correctly, on the WCD tour it was played by Tony, Mike and Phil – without Daryl and Chester. I assume this happened only with this song and "Man on the Corner". (When this last song starts on Archive 2 we can hear someone in the audience cry: "Where's the rest of the band?!"


Wow! Knowing it was performed only by the 3- man Genesis makes the song even more impressive live. I noticed that the cameras mostly focus on Phil and Tony during the instrumental section, but I never consciously realized that Chester and Daryl were not playing on it.

It is fun to be a fan of the band for so many years and still learn new things.

WILL
User IP Logged

ImperialSquonk
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 37
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 05:28am »

*bump*

I found this thread (I’m currently going through the Forum pages and working my way through all the interesting topics you have all been discussing over the years)...

I’ve been enjoying this track a lot recently. It was always one of my favourite pieces on “We Can’t Dance” when I was first getting into Genesis in 1991/2. But I’ve rediscovered it this last month or so after many years away. I find it quite stirring. Yes, it was the closer of Phil’s last album with the band - and the lyrics are quite poignant due to this in retrospect. But it’s more the music that gets to me. I think, like “Duke”, “WCD” is one of Genesis’s best sounding albums. I LOVE the electronic drum-machine percussion sounds on stuff like ‘Dreaming While You Sleep’ and ‘FL’. So full and crisp. And I think the first few minutes are worth it, because I get the chills EVERY time Phil’s ‘live’ drums come in. To me the instrumental passage in ‘FL’ from the sound of PC’s drums onwards is akin to some great beast rising from its slumber to give one last, great, show-stopping display before returning to the depths. It’s a flashback to what the band really could do back in the pomp of their glorious imperial phase (approx 1972-1980, imho). I LOVE Tony’s keyboards here too. How they just build and build getting more and more dizzying. It’s a culmination of all the bets bits of their post-“Duke” 80s output too: from the fat chunky (sometimes graceless) synths of “Abacab” through to the epic bombast of ‘The Brazilian’.

‘FL’ is a belter of a tune!
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2017, 06:18am by ImperialSquonk » User IP Logged

HomeByTheSea
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 466
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 06:09am »

Fading Lights is a great epic! The middle instrumental section is one of the best pieces of music the band has ever written, IMO and the best on WCD. I wished they would have played this on the 2007 tour, but they already had quite a few long songs in the setlist. This song to me is Genesis' "swan song."
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3241
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #11 on: Nov 11th, 2017, 07:57am »

Classic Genesis.
User IP Logged

Schrottrocker
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4764
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 12:41pm »

Overrated song, I guess I'll never understand why so many Genesis fans revere that song so much and look down on brilliant songs such as Battle of Epping Forest, Robbery Assault & Battery, All in a Mouse's Night... On WCD I prefer Living Forever way over Fading Lights.
User IP Logged

ImperialSquonk
Harlequin
Image


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 37
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 12:46pm »

I always thought that ’Living Forever’ was like a miniature ‘Fading Lights’. A poppy intro or first half and then the prog payload.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2017, 07:50am by ImperialSquonk » User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3241
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13th, 2017, 11:42am »

on Nov 12th, 2017, 12:41pm, Schrottrocker wrote:
Overrated song, I guess I'll never understand why so many Genesis fans revere that song so much and look down on brilliant songs such as Battle of Epping Forest, Robbery Assault & Battery, All in a Mouse's Night... On WCD I prefer Living Forever way over Fading Lights.


I don't know if Fading Lights is overrated, Personally, I think is one of the few memorable moments on that album, whereas LF is imo correctly rated, I know some fans like it but generally speaking, I think it left no trace. There's not much 'meat' to it imo.
I love Epping Forest but I can totally see why the band was unhappy with it, it is extremely busy and while I enjoy some moments, I agree that more could have been achieved by doing less, particularly in the vocals department.
Robbery is nice too, it just suffers a bit because with Trick is probably the weakest track on the album but far from being a filler imo. It's just the the other 6 songs are very strong.
I never truly could warm up to Mouse, Tony would have needed a bit of check and balance there imo. The melody is not so great and the lyrics are quite frankly appalling imo.
I feel for Phil who had to sing them.
Intricate, complex, epic but for my money a hollow exercise at prog.
I love the outro though, Steve is brilliant there. They all are but he really stands out imo.

User IP Logged

Dr. John
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 695
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13th, 2017, 5:56pm »

on Nov 13th, 2017, 11:42am, Fabrizio wrote:
I don't know if Fading Lights is overrated, Personally, I think is one of the few memorable moments on that album, whereas LF is imo correctly rated, I know some fans like it but generally speaking, I think it left no trace. There's not much 'meat' to it imo.
I love Epping Forest but I can totally see why the band was unhappy with it, it is extremely busy and while I enjoy some moments, I agree that more could have been achieved by doing less, particularly in the vocals department.
Robbery is nice too, it just suffers a bit because with Trick is probably the weakest track on the album but far from being a filler imo. It's just the the other 6 songs are very strong.
I never truly could warm up to Mouse, Tony would have needed a bit of check and balance there imo. The melody is not so great and the lyrics are quite frankly appalling imo.
I feel for Phil who had to sing them.
Intricate, complex, epic but for my money a hollow exercise at prog.
I love the outro though, Steve is brilliant there. They all are but he really stands out imo.



I agree. Although I really like Living Forever, I far prefer Fading Lights. I particularly get way more out of the instrumental for Fading Lights.

I also agree that both BoEF and RA&B pale compared to Fading Lights and both are some of my least favourite songs on the respective albums. I don't mind AIaMN, but Fading Lights still beats it by a country mile in my books.
User IP Logged

Fabrizio
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Can you tell me where my country lies?


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 3241
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14th, 2017, 07:07am »

on Nov 13th, 2017, 5:56pm, Dr. John wrote:
I agree. Although I really like Living Forever, I far prefer Fading Lights. I particularly get way more out of the instrumental for Fading Lights.

I also agree that both BoEF and RA&B pale compared to Fading Lights and both are some of my least favourite songs on the respective albums. I don't mind AIaMN, but Fading Lights still beats it by a country mile in my books.

There's so much brilliance throughout BoEF, some of the best Genesis passages in terms of musicianship imo but songwriting and musicianship sometimes can diverge.
I would say they tried to squeeze in too much but it is mainly on Peter. I love the lyrics, they are witty, inventive, humorous and creative but truly a mouthful and imo those are not Peter's best vocal lines. It could have been a much better song imo with some restraint from Peter which is odd because normally that was Tony's problem.
I equate LF to Mouse's night and the lady lies, songs I am supposed to like but I really don't. I love complexity, intricacy and ambition as much as anybody but I still need a decent tune to support all that. Tony's songs generally give me that, we are sometimes so focused on the complexity of his compositions that we forget how catchy for instance his choruses generally are. Phil said it once, his tunes are a joy to sing. On occasion, seldom actually, for me, that melodic quality is not there and the song falls apart, no matter the time signatures, how many passages, instrumentals and changes.
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2017, 07:16am by Fabrizio » User IP Logged

Backdrifter
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 274
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #17 on: Nov 14th, 2017, 09:06am »

I like Fading Lights a lot, and love watching PC's work on the WCD live dvd.

Regarding the other songs mentioned: the 3 listed are very much non-favourites of mine. I agree re Mouse's that some of the music is quite good, especially the coda, but the lyrics make me cringe. I never liked the tweeness of some of their output at that time. This track also underlines the very shiny top-end sound that's quite prevalent on W&W and which I also don't like. RA&B has even fewer redeeming features, literally the only thing I like about it is the keyboard line in the section after "bad man." Together with MMM it inhabits a low mid-point of that album for me, which is why I can never join those placing Trick at the top of their lists.

Battle isn't a favourite but I can admire the wordplay and as I've said before I absolutely love the 'Reverend' section which comes across as a really nice standalone song transplanted into the middle of this longer slightly rambling track. By the way I'm often slow on the uptake with these things - I only just recently found out why the reverend reacts in such a shocked way when offered some "old-fashioned Staffordshire plate". No doubt everyone else here already knew?!

In what's generally accepted as possibly their wordiest song, I think the biggest mouthful especially when singing it live would probably be "It was love, peace and truth incorporated for all who seek".
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2017, 09:15am by Backdrifter » User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
Backdrifter
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 274
xx Re: fading lights
« Reply #18 on: Nov 14th, 2017, 09:22am »

on Nov 14th, 2017, 07:07am, Fabrizio wrote:
I equate LF to Mouse's night and the lady lies, songs I am supposed to like but I really don't. I love complexity, intricacy and ambition as much as anybody but I still need a decent tune to support all that. Tony's songs generally give me that, we are sometimes so focused on the complexity of his compositions that we forget how catchy for instance his choruses generally are. Phil said it once, his tunes are a joy to sing. On occasion, seldom actually, for me, that melodic quality is not there and the song falls apart, no matter the time signatures, how many passages, instrumentals and changes.


I know what you mean about that sense of expectation about certain songs and would definitely include Lady Lies for myself. I always thought it was okay, but then completely lost interest in it, and can't remember when I ever last listened to it. Ultimately I lean more towards TB's simpler songs - Afterglow and Many Too Many are two of the best songs they ever did, in my view.
User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
Pages: 1 2  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls