Board Logo
« Recent purchases »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 23rd, 2017, 10:23am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67  ...  181 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: Recent purchases  (Read 7614 times)
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14153
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #960 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 07:27am »

I recieved a wonderful new package from the wonderfully generous NedFlanders this morning:

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
Pet Shop Boys - Nightlife
Anathema – Eternity
Anathema - Judgement
Marillion – Holidays in Eden
Marillion – Brave
Threshold - Critical Mass
King Crimson – Lizard
King Crimson – Islands
King Crimson – Larks Tongues in Aspic
Camel – Camel
Camel – I Can See Your House From Here
Camel - Rajaz
Porcupine Tree – Lightbulb Sun
Steven Wilson – Grace For Drowning
Gentle Giant – Acquiring the Taste
Muse – Origin of Symmetry

Plus a few other nice things. cool
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:46am by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

slowdancer
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4599
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #961 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:02am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 07:27am, NoSonofVine wrote:
Steven Wilson – Grace Before Drowning


I don`t know that one....

wink
User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #962 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:21am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 07:27am, NoSonofVine wrote:
I recieved a wonderful new package from the wonderfully generous NedFlanders this morning:

Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here
Pet Shop Boys - Nightlife
Anathema – Eternity
:
:
:
Steven Wilson – Grace Before Drowning
Gentle Giant – Acquiring the Taste
Muse – Origin of Symmetry

Plus a few other nice things. cool

Do you think it's a good idea to advertise the fact that you have such a large library of illegally copied material? wink
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
YouMightRecall
Duke/Duchess
ImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 490
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #963 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:37am »

My latest acquisitions in the last couple of weeks......

Ronnie Caryl - One step at a time CD
Ronnie Caryl - Leave the light on CD
Lamont Dozier - The quiet's too loud CD Single
Marti Webb - I'm not that kind of girl LP Vinyl
Brian Chatton - Playing for time LP Vinyl

TTFN
User IP Logged

Across the River I Go
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14153
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #964 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:43am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 08:21am, Down And Out wrote:
Do you think it's a good idea to advertise the fact that you have such a large library of illegally copied material? wink


I no longer consider it illegal. How can it be, in this age? smiley

Seriously, it should not be illegal. Look at YouTube. There are entire bloody albums uploaded to YouTube, hundreds of them. Hundreds upon hundreds of entire albums, including compilations and live albums, to hear for free. Entire albums to download for free (using the several YouTube video free download services on the net), and no-one seems to be stopping it.

Not to mention, all of the band channels that upload songs with attached music videos. Every song that ever comes out makes its way on to YouTube before you can beat an eyelash. Every song, album, live performance, everything... it's all on YouTube. And Spotify. And all kinds of other places.

Music is so easy to hear and recieve these days that it shouldn't really be illegal in any fashion. I still like to buy music to support the artists though; I haven't stopped buying music, nobody has. It's just easier to get music for free. If one can with no consequences, one will. smiley

The SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) could have put a stop to it, but of course, it never went ahead. Nothing will stop the Internet - it is far too vast and powerful. It would be impossible to censor everything.

It's rather scary if you think about it. undecided
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:44am by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #965 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:44am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 08:43am, NoSonofVine wrote:
I no longer consider it illegal. How can it be, in this age? smiley

Seriously, it should not be illegal. Look at YouTube. There are entire bloody albums uploaded to YouTube, hundreds of them. Hundreds upon hundreds of entire albums, including compilations and live albums, to hear for free. Entire albums to download for free (using the several YouTube video free download services on the net), and no-one seems to be stopping it.

Not to mention, all of the band channels that upload songs with attached music videos. Every song that ever comes out makes its way on to YouTube before you can beat an eyelash. Every song, album, live performance, everything... it's all on YouTube. And Spotify. And all kinds of other places.

Music is so easy to hear and recieve these days that it shouldn't really be illegal in any fashion. I still like to buy music to support the artists though; I haven't stopped buying music, nobody has. It's just easier to get music for free. If one can with no consequences, one will. smiley

The SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) could have put a stop to it, but of course, it never went ahead. Nothing will stop the Internet - it is far too vast and powerful. Too powerful.

It's rather scary if you think about it. undecided

If you're happy to think of it like that, then so be it.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14153
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #966 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 08:46am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 08:44am, Down And Out wrote:
If you're happy to think of it like that, then so be it.


grin

Oh, I've just realised. It's "Grace For Drowning" not "Grace Before Drowning" by Steven Wilson. rolleyes laugh
User IP Logged

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9298
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #967 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 11:30am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 07:27am, NoSonofVine wrote:
I recieved a wonderful new package from the wonderfully generous NedFlanders this morningPlus a few other nice things.....


on Apr 21st, 2012, 08:21am, Down And Out wrote:
Do you think it's a good idea to advertise the fact that you have such a large library of illegally copied material? wink


Moreover, the title of this thread is "Recent PURCHASES". Maybe you should start a new thread titled "Things I Got From Ned."

tongue wink
User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #968 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 11:53am »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 11:30am, Dust wrote:
Moreover, the title of this thread is "Recent PURCHASES". Maybe you should start a new thread titled "Things I Got From Ned."

tongue wink

Good point. smiley
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Witchwood
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 3008
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #969 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 1:18pm »

There are people here who are happy to share music and to introduce fellow forum members to different bands.
I’ve been a beneficiary of that generosity in the past. That was how I was introduced to bands like Camel, PFM, The Watch and Willowglass.

These people would generally ask for nothing in return, but if there was a return address I would make note of it and try to send something back I hoped they would enjoy (usually a live recording of some band I knew they liked).

I’m glad to see a culture of sharing music between forum members and I hope it continues.
The only misgiving I would have is if people who are inclined to be generous were made to feel they were taken for granted.
User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #970 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 1:26pm »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 1:18pm, Witchwood wrote:
There are people here who are happy to share music and to introduce fellow forum members to different bands.
I’ve been a beneficiary of that generosity in the past.

I agree with that comment in principle. In the early 1980s I would often copy friends' records onto cassettes and they would do likewise with mine. In my case, this often lead me to discovering a liking for a band/artist and I would end up buying a good few LPs by the band/artist in question. Often this would include the LP I had originally copied. Even now, I do have a small number of CDs copied for me by forum members. However, I do think it is altogether a different matter having, it seems, 100+ (and growing) illegally copied CDs and having no qualms about not having paid a penny for them. But then again, maybe that's just me. undecided

P.S. I don't work for a record company. wink
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2012, 1:28pm by Down And Out » User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Witchwood
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 3008
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #971 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 1:32pm »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 1:26pm, Down And Out wrote:
... this often lead me to discovering a liking for a band/artist and I would end up buying a good few LPs by the band/artist in question...
... However, I do think it is altogether a different matter...


Agreed.
User IP Logged

Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4086
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #972 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 5:53pm »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 1:26pm, Down And Out wrote:
I agree with that comment in principle. In the early 1980s I would often copy friends' records onto cassettes and they would do likewise with mine. In my case, this often lead me to discovering a liking for a band/artist and I would end up buying a good few LPs by the band/artist in question. Often this would include the LP I had originally copied. Even now, I do have a small number of CDs copied for me by forum members. However, I do think it is altogether a different matter having, it seems, 100+ (and growing) illegally copied CDs and having no qualms about not having paid a penny for them. But then again, maybe that's just me. undecided


Exactly this. If only one person bought an album and everyone else got it by illegal copying (an exaggeration, I know, but it's the principle...) then the artists would get next to no money for the work they have put into what could be a really fantastic album.

I do share some music with friends, but generally if I really want to listen to something, I will try to buy it instead of borrowing someone else's copy. I also illegally download some stuff if it's really obscure / not available for a reasonable price (eg CAS B-sides: Not worth it for the £70-80 for the box set since I already had the remastered albums included in that set, and not available anywhere else unless I tried to get the singles they were originally on - difficult and expensive. Same with Match of the Day).
User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7237
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #973 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 6:05pm »

on Apr 21st, 2012, 11:30am, Dust wrote:
Moreover, the title of this thread is "Recent PURCHASES". Maybe you should start a new thread titled "Things I Got From Ned."

tongue wink

grin

User IP Logged

Nov
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 7237
xx Re: Recent purchases
« Reply #974 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 6:11pm »

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67  ...  181 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls