Board Logo
« Smartphone - yes or no »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 24th, 2017, 4:05pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
 thread  Author  Topic: Smartphone - yes or no  (Read 225 times)
Schrottrocker
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4697
xx Smartphone - yes or no
« Thread started on: Aug 4th, 2017, 06:46am »

Do you use a smartphone or not?

I didn't own one and didn't want one for a long time, now thanks to my dad who thinks I need one I got a smartphone for my birthday (3 and a half months ago). Took me still ages to make a contract and get a sim card... I used it for two conversations so far, with my dad and with a good friend. My dad sent me a download link for whatsapp, I couldn't install it yet - I need to agree Google Play Store holds ownership of my soul, right?
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2017, 12:21pm »

I got my first true smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J3) last Christmas. Before, I had a crummy old 2008/2009 phone with an awful unresponsive touch screen that made texting a chore. And before that, I had an early 2000s flip phone.

My current phone:

User Image
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2017, 12:22pm by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2314
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2017, 5:20pm »

on Aug 4th, 2017, 12:21pm, NoSonOfVine wrote:
I got my first true smartphone (Samsung Galaxy J3) last Christmas. Before, I had a crummy old 2008/2009 phone with an awful unresponsive touch screen that made texting a chore. And before that, I had an early 2000s flip phone.

My current phone:

User Image

Is that the Samsung Firelighter edition or did they fix that particular problem? wink

I keep thinking I should get a smartphone to replace my prehistoric Nokia but on the other hand I don't want to put my whole life into one place that can be lost or stolen. tongue
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10876
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2017, 5:47pm »

on Aug 4th, 2017, 5:20pm, boredatwork wrote:
Is that the Samsung Firelighter edition or did they fix that particular problem? wink

I keep thinking I should get a smartphone to replace my prehistoric Nokia but on the other hand I don't want to put my whole life into one place that can be lost or stolen. tongue


Did not know you can light cigarettes with your smartphone . rolleyes rolleyes grin

They sure are getting good with technology nowadays... laugh
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2017, 5:50pm by Noni » User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #4 on: Aug 5th, 2017, 05:19am »

on Aug 4th, 2017, 5:20pm, boredatwork wrote:
Is that the Samsung Firelighter edition or did they fix that particular problem? wink

That was the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, a phone so overpowered that it kept overheating and then exploding.
User IP Logged

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5022
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #5 on: Aug 5th, 2017, 09:27am »

on Aug 4th, 2017, 5:20pm, boredatwork wrote:
Is that the Samsung Firelighter edition or did they fix that particular problem? wink

I keep thinking I should get a smartphone to replace my prehistoric Nokia but on the other hand I don't want to put my whole life into one place that can be lost or stolen. tongue


I had a Nokia 3310 but it was finally killed by dropping it once too often. Now have a Nokia 1616, it's spiritual successor, colour screen but text and phone only. I like to have a separate camera, and separate music player, not all eggs in one basket! wink
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #6 on: Aug 5th, 2017, 3:59pm »

iPhone 5S
Used it on Wednesday to record Steve's show, seeing how security won't let you in with cameras and equipment. See sometimes it pays to have all your eggs in the one basket
wink
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Backdrifter
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 204
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 03:19am »

I was happy with my chunky, seemingly indestructible little Nokia text & calls only - the number of times I dropped that thing! But for various reasons, I decided to get a smartphone about a year ago. I've had a love-hate relationship with it ever since. Well, more tolerate-hate, really. It's undoubtedly been useful, no denying it. But there are times I feel I'm fighting a sort of battle with it. I've certainly fought a battle with Vodafone, whose customer services I have found to be appalling, to the extent I think I'm going to switch providers. This should hopefully be reasonably straightforward, as I refused to enter a contract - I hate those "you are ours for two years" arrangements - and went for PAYG and admittedly they have quite a good cheap bundle which suits my low usage just fine.

I want to do the switch as fuss-free as possible and avoid having to go anywhere near a phone shop ever again for the rest of my life. They are one of the seven circles of hell.
User IP Logged

Abandon all reason
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5022
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 07:27am »

on Aug 31st, 2017, 03:19am, Backdrifter wrote:
I was happy with my chunky, seemingly indestructible little Nokia text & calls only - the number of times I dropped that thing! But for various reasons, I decided to get a smartphone about a year ago. I've had a love-hate relationship with it ever since. Well, more tolerate-hate, really. It's undoubtedly been useful, no denying it. But there are times I feel I'm fighting a sort of battle with it. I've certainly fought a battle with Vodafone, whose customer services I have found to be appalling, to the extent I think I'm going to switch providers. This should hopefully be reasonably straightforward, as I refused to enter a contract - I hate those "you are ours for two years" arrangements - and went for PAYG and admittedly they have quite a good cheap bundle which suits my low usage just fine.

I want to do the switch as fuss-free as possible and avoid having to go anywhere near a phone shop ever again for the rest of my life. They are one of the seven circles of hell.


I'm PAYG on Virgin, they're useless but since I never have to contact them, it matters not. But try an unlocked phone (or get your's unlocked) and try giff gaff, my wife is with them and very pleased.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5022
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 07:28am »

on Aug 5th, 2017, 3:59pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
iPhone 5S
Used it on Wednesday to record Steve's show, seeing how security won't let you in with cameras and equipment. See sometimes it pays to have all your eggs in the one basket
wink


I think they stopped searching here in about 1980. Seems pointless as everyone has a phone on them anyway. Who's in charge of security? Mr. A. Luddite? grin
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
slowdancer
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4591
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2017, 12:30pm »

I do not own a smart phone. Too much internet around me, when I am at home or at work. I enjoy being around outdoors and take notice of my environment. Most people do not these days.
User IP Logged

deetee89
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 1056
xx Re: Smartphone - yes or no
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13th, 2017, 09:04am »

Ive got an iphone 7 and the wife has a iphone se, before that she had a nokia 3510i that had been in the washing machine for a full wash and had been lost for a year down the back of her bro's sofa, it still works. I very much doubt a smart phone could endure that. grin

Ive just seen the costs of the new iphone 8 or x or whatever it is, just over a thousand quid in the uk been suggested, silly money. rolleyes
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2017, 09:07am by deetee89 » User IP Logged

Pages: 1  Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls