Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 22nd, 2017, 1:50pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 26506 times)
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is online

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10861
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #885 on: May 19th, 2013, 3:15pm »

User Image
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4078
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #886 on: May 19th, 2013, 3:40pm »

on May 19th, 2013, 11:48am, NoSonofVine wrote:
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan of our times! cool cool cool

Much better than Man on the Corner (IMO). grin


on May 19th, 2013, 11:58am, Down And Out wrote:
Agreed. smiley


Once again, the two of you are equally wrong... wink



See the lonely man there on the corner?
(That's me having my lonely opinion tongue)
User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9289
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #887 on: May 19th, 2013, 4:18pm »

on May 19th, 2013, 3:40pm, Merryman72 wrote:
Once again, the two of you are equally wrong... wink


See the lonely man there on the corner?
(That's me having my lonely opinion tongue)

I'd call it a draw. They're both decent songs... neither great nor poor, just decent. smiley
User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #888 on: May 20th, 2013, 02:10am »

Could do with another bank holiday Monday: Ooh, there's one next week. smiley
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
slowdancer
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4591
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #889 on: May 20th, 2013, 03:26am »

on May 19th, 2013, 3:15pm, Noni wrote:
User Image


User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #890 on: May 20th, 2013, 06:42am »

I'm currently listening to the classic prog album Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator for the first time. And I can already see why this is considered a classic album - Lemmings is a fantastic opening track. cool
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #891 on: May 20th, 2013, 07:08am »

on May 20th, 2013, 06:42am, NoSonofVine wrote:
I'm currently listening to the classic prog album Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator for the first time. And I can already see why this is considered a classic album - Lemmings is a fantastic opening track. cool


Unfortunately however, the rest of the album has many near-unlistenable moments... undecided

Edit: Dear God, this album... the final quarter of A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers is a house of horrors... lipsrsealed
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2013, 07:13am by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9289
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #892 on: May 20th, 2013, 09:59am »

I'm not a big fan of Kid Rock, but I did enjoy his comment--when he was presenting an award at the Billboard Music Awards last night--"Let's give it up for people lip-synching under pre-recorded music." smiley
User IP Logged

Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4701
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #893 on: May 20th, 2013, 12:21pm »

on May 20th, 2013, 09:59am, Dust wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Kid Rock, but I did enjoy his comment--when he was presenting an award at the Billboard Music Awards last night--"Let's give it up for people lip-synching under pre-recorded music." smiley


grin

I recorded that show, will look out for that.
User IP Logged

User Image
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5022
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #894 on: May 20th, 2013, 12:30pm »

on May 19th, 2013, 3:40pm, Merryman72 wrote:
Once again, the two of you are equally wrong... wink



See the lonely man there on the corner?
(That's me having my lonely opinion tongue)


You are not alone. Man of our times, worst track on it's album, should've been swapped with Evidence of Autumn.

Man on the corner is a decent honest little pop song, nothing more, nothing less. IMO!
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Snowbound
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Better start doing it right...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 223
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #895 on: May 20th, 2013, 2:41pm »

Here's me, backing up the underdogs! Man of our Times is probably very close to my least favourite Genesis song. I only really like the falsetto bit after the chorus. Man on the Corner, however, is great.

On another note, how do you upload pictures to the forum?
User IP Logged

Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4078
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #896 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:16pm »

on May 20th, 2013, 2:41pm, Snowbound wrote:
Here's me, backing up the underdogs! Man of our Times is probably very close to my least favourite Genesis song. I only really like the falsetto bit after the chorus. Man on the Corner, however, is great.

smiley

on May 20th, 2013, 2:41pm, Snowbound wrote:
On another note, how do you upload pictures to the forum?


Your picture has to be already on the web, and you have to copy the image URL (often you can do this quickly by right-clicking on the image and selecting the "copy image URL" option) and paste into "[img]" tags. If the picture you want is on your computer rather than on the web, you'll have to upload it to photobucket or something, which I have never bothered to do so I can't offer any advice there!

Hope that covers what you were asking...? smiley
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2013, 3:16pm by Merryman72 » User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #897 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:18pm »

I know this isn't really the place to debate Genesis, and I know I've said that I should really stop debating this band because I don't like getting into an argument in doing so, but I can't help it, I want to defend the song. I love Man Of Our Times. cool And I mean love it. It's one of my favourite Genesis songs and has been since the very first hearing. Why? Because to me it's a unique, beautiful blend of the following elements:

1. An epic, positive-sounding chorus with lots of emotion
2. Unusual, sparse lyrics, giving it a mysterious, ambigious nature
3. A somewhat dark, menacing atmosphere outside the chorus
4. Excellent production values, with lots of interesting, experimental sounds coming out
5. Powerful, thunderous yet steady drums
6. An eclectic range of singing styles
7. It gradually builds up and the closing chorus gives it a great climax

It's a real shame that it's largely underrated. Genesis never played it live (did they?) and it's likely that no tribute has ever played it live either, or even considered playing it live...
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2013, 3:19pm by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2313
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #898 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:27pm »

on May 20th, 2013, 3:18pm, NoSonofVine wrote:
I know this isn't really the place to debate Genesis, and I know I've said that I should really stop debating this band because I don't like getting into an argument in doing so, but I can't help it, I want to defend the song. I love Man Of Our Times. cool And I mean love it. It's one of my favourite Genesis songs and has been since the very first hearing. Why? Because to me it's a unique, beautiful blend of the following elements:

1. An epic, positive-sounding chorus with lots of emotion
2. Unusual, sparse lyrics, giving it a mysterious, ambigious nature
3. A somewhat dark, menacing atmosphere outside the chorus
4. Excellent production values, with lots of interesting, experimental sounds coming out
5. Powerful, thunderous yet steady drums
6. An eclectic range of singing styles
7. It gradually builds up and the closing chorus gives it a great climax

It's a real shame that it's largely underrated. Genesis never played it live (did they?) and it's likely that no tribute has ever played it live either, or even considered playing it live...


Amen to all of that!
User IP Logged

Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4078
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #899 on: May 20th, 2013, 3:28pm »

on May 20th, 2013, 3:18pm, NoSonofVine wrote:
It's a real shame that it's largely underrated. Genesis never played it live (did they?) and it's likely that no tribute has ever played it live either, or even considered playing it live...


Genesis never did play it live, but the same goes for a lot of Duke: they only played the "Duke Suite" and "Misunderstanding". Maybe not such a great loss as far as "Please Don't Ask" and "Alone Tonight" are concerned - great songs IMO but I guess they may not have translated well live - but I do think it's a bit of a shame they never did "Man of Our Times", "Heathaze" or "Cul-de-Sac" (one of my favourite Genesongs). undecided

Regarding your defense of "Man of Our Times" - I agree with all that you say and so it sounds like it ought to be great, but in the end the song just doesn't grab my attention as much as "Man on the Corner" does! Still, as far as Genesis goes I always think we're comparing diamonds... wink
User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls