Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 23rd, 2017, 01:39am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 12244 times)
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5079
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4110 on: Mar 29th, 2016, 09:41am »

on Mar 29th, 2016, 05:40am, boredatwork wrote:
Big Bunny was scarier than any of the cast of Night of the Lepus. grin

The Goodies was the best kids’ programme of my youth, & my kids enjoyed those few episodes you can get on DVD, especially Kitten Kong & Ecky-Thump.

My favourite Goodies episode was the plague of Rolf Harrises. Sadly they’d never show it now! sad


Yes, the goodies were fantastic. And if you liked them you should try and track down episodes of the radio series "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" (many of them are on youtube) written by Garden and Oddie, just like the Goodies, and starring them and Tim Brooke-Taylor, but also John Cleese, David Hatch (at one point controller of either Radio 2 or 4, I forget which), and Jo Kendal, who had to do all the female voices (being the only female) except the ones Tim did for comic effect!
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

User Image
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2324
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4111 on: Mar 29th, 2016, 3:48pm »

on Mar 29th, 2016, 09:41am, foxfeeder wrote:
Yes, the goodies were fantastic. And if you liked them you should try and track down episodes of the radio series "I'm sorry, I'll read that again" (many of them are on youtube) written by Garden and Oddie, just like the Goodies, and starring them and Tim Brooke-Taylor, but also John Cleese, David Hatch (at one point controller of either Radio 2 or 4, I forget which), and Jo Kendal, who had to do all the female voices (being the only female) except the ones Tim did for comic effect!

I occasionally catch Graeme Garden & Tim on a Radio 4 panel game “I’m sorry, I haven’t a clue”, the highlight of which is usually when they’re made to sing the words of one song to the tune of a completely different one. Tim’s rendition of “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard” was particularly memorable. laugh
User IP Logged

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5079
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4112 on: Mar 30th, 2016, 11:07am »

on Mar 29th, 2016, 3:48pm, boredatwork wrote:
I occasionally catch Graeme Garden & Tim on a Radio 4 panel game “I’m sorry, I haven’t a clue”, the highlight of which is usually when they’re made to sing the words of one song to the tune of a completely different one. Tim’s rendition of “My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard” was particularly memorable. laugh


Yes, I used to listen to this (and a lot of radio comedy), and still catch it occasionally. Co-developed by Graeme Garden, hence the name being similar to "read that again". Graeme is underrated, he's done a lot of stuff including a short radio series called "About a dog" with the title role voiced by Alan Davies, very funny, and also the "clue" spinoff, "Hamish & Dougal - You'll have had your tea" with Barry Cryer, Jeremy Hardy and Alison Steadman. All worth checking out if you get the chance.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

User Image
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2324
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4113 on: Mar 31st, 2016, 5:01pm »

on Mar 30th, 2016, 11:07am, foxfeeder wrote:
Yes, I used to listen to this (and a lot of radio comedy), and still catch it occasionally. Co-developed by Graeme Garden, hence the name being similar to "read that again". Graeme is underrated, he's done a lot of stuff including a short radio series called "About a dog" with the title role voiced by Alan Davies, very funny, and also the "clue" spinoff, "Hamish & Dougal - You'll have had your tea" with Barry Cryer, Jeremy Hardy and Alison Steadman. All worth checking out if you get the chance.

I missed "About a dog", but Graeme also created "The Unbelievable Truth" hosted by David Mitchell which is probably the best “new” comedy panel show on Radio 4 (new as opposed to the ones like the “I’m sorries” & “Just a minute” which have been running since time immemorial). Radio 4 seems to mix the comedy generations more successfully than TV does e.g. I usually find Susan Calman tiresome but she seems to fit well into “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue” alongside Graeme & Tim. "Just a minute" is still going strong too with a younger cast, even if they could never quite replace the legendary Kenneth Williams.
User IP Logged

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5079
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4114 on: Apr 1st, 2016, 12:46pm »

on Mar 31st, 2016, 5:01pm, boredatwork wrote:
I missed "About a dog", but Graeme also created "The Unbelievable Truth" hosted by David Mitchell which is probably the best “new” comedy panel show on Radio 4 (new as opposed to the ones like the “I’m sorries” & “Just a minute” which have been running since time immemorial). Radio 4 seems to mix the comedy generations more successfully than TV does e.g. I usually find Susan Calman tiresome but she seems to fit well into “I’m sorry I haven’t a clue” alongside Graeme & Tim. "Just a minute" is still going strong too with a younger cast, even if they could never quite replace the legendary Kenneth Williams.


I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. The foundation for TV's "Would I lie to you" of course.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

User Image
Merryman72
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Give me steam!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4096
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4115 on: Apr 6th, 2016, 3:21pm »

Thinking of taking a turntable to uni next term. It's only going to play through some low-budget speakers designed for PC use. Am I becoming a hipster?
User IP Logged

Was it you or was it me? Or was it he or she?

NB: despite what my name may suggest, I was not born in 1972 tongue
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19230
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4116 on: Apr 7th, 2016, 09:00am »

on Apr 6th, 2016, 3:21pm, Merryman72 wrote:
Thinking of taking a turntable to uni next term. It's only going to play through some low-budget speakers designed for PC use. Am I becoming a hipster?


Too cool, daddy-o cool
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14165
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4117 on: Apr 8th, 2016, 11:47am »

User Image
User IP Logged

HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6512
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4118 on: Apr 8th, 2016, 1:13pm »

User Image
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
slowdancer
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4604
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4119 on: Apr 8th, 2016, 2:43pm »

User Image
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14165
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4120 on: Apr 27th, 2016, 04:29am »

I suppose we may as well get used to the phrase "President Donald Trump" after what happened yesterday. lipsrsealed
User IP Logged

CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19230
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4121 on: Apr 27th, 2016, 09:00am »

on Apr 27th, 2016, 04:29am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
I suppose we may as well get used to the phrase "President Donald Trump" after what happened yesterday. lipsrsealed


This is just the primary. It'll depend on who comes out to vote in November for the general election. But yes, that was quite a sweep he had last night, winning in all 5 states with a large lead. Trump will definitely be the Republican nominee and Hillary will most likely be the Democrat nominee. I'm a registered Democrat, but I gotta say that I'm not all that into Hillary at the moment. She comes across as being a cog in the wheel that got us where we are today. We truly need BIG change in this country and I don't think she's the one to do it. Trump may be extreme, but I've come to realize that his shortcomings in the political arena stem from the fact that he's not a politician. He's not polished like Hillary, and apparently to many Americans that comes as a breath of fresh air. Every time he stumbles, there are more and more voters there to pick him up. We'll see what happens in the next couple months.
User IP Logged

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9303
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4122 on: Apr 27th, 2016, 1:35pm »

on Apr 27th, 2016, 04:29am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
I suppose we may as well get used to the phrase "President Donald Trump" after what happened yesterday. lipsrsealed

No, don't.
User IP Logged

slowdancer
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4604
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4123 on: Apr 28th, 2016, 10:41am »

on Apr 27th, 2016, 1:35pm, Dust wrote:
No, don't.


Word!
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14165
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #4124 on: Apr 30th, 2016, 08:19am »

on Apr 27th, 2016, 09:00am, CountingOutTime wrote:
This is just the primary. It'll depend on who comes out to vote in November for the general election. But yes, that was quite a sweep he had last night, winning in all 5 states with a large lead. Trump will definitely be the Republican nominee and Hillary will most likely be the Democrat nominee. I'm a registered Democrat, but I gotta say that I'm not all that into Hillary at the moment. She comes across as being a cog in the wheel that got us where we are today. We truly need BIG change in this country and I don't think she's the one to do it. Trump may be extreme, but I've come to realize that his shortcomings in the political arena stem from the fact that he's not a politician. He's not polished like Hillary, and apparently to many Americans that comes as a breath of fresh air. Every time he stumbles, there are more and more voters there to pick him up. We'll see what happens in the next couple months.

Recently, I've been watching some clips of Ted Cruz speeches and interviews and I agree with Dust that he's worse than Trump. Trump is obnoxious and outspoken but Cruz is far more hateful and deluded in my opinion. Anyway here are a few things that make Trump more likely to be elected President:

- Trump has apparently surpassed John McCain and Mitt Romney in primary votes, so he's more popular than we ever imagined.
- Clinton's popularity is steadily declining. As you mentioned, she comes across to people as a bit too safe and not able to make enough changes.
- Many Bernie Sanders fans are planning to vote for Trump if Hillary Clinton becomes the Democratic nominee (which is going to happen... Sanders has sadly failed) so Trump's going to gain a ton of support from Sanders fans later this year.

Trump has far exceeded expectations which is why I feel like he might end up winning. Then again, maybe he'll lose at the last hurdle. It could go either way. He will definitely be the nominee though. I've been following the presidential race closely and I think it's very exciting.
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 276 277  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls