Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 23rd, 2017, 11:54am



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 3640 times)
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3494
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3180 on: Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:40pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:10pm, Down And Out wrote:
Storage over the web is probably never going to be quite as reliable as onboard storage. And I stand by my point. A 32GB memory card for my mobile phone was less than 15, whereas the price differential between a 32GB and 64GB Apple device, for example, is typically about 70. There is absolutely no justification for this. angry


The point you made in your original quote was Apple not supporting expandable memory, not price. As I stated Apple products don't need this as they have iCloud which is accessible anywhere, anytime for free. For example, whatever I have been doing throughout the day whether it's been taking pics, vids or adding music etc is automatically backed up and synced as soon as I walk through my front door into my network. Memory cards are hardware-they can fail. You can drop them, lose them, break them. If I break or have any devices stolen, the data is still available to me.

I agree with you about pricing, Apple products are more expensive and some say you pay for the name but there you go...
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:41pm by Yild4Genesis » User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3181 on: Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:50pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:40pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
The point you made in your original quote was Apple not supporting expandable memory, not price. As I stated Apple products don't need this as they have iCloud which is accessible anywhere, anytime for free. For example, whatever I have been doing throughout the day whether it's been taking pics, vids or adding music etc is automatically backed up and synced as soon as I walk through my front door into my network. Memory cards are hardware-they can fail. You can drop them, lose them, break them. If I break or have any devices stolen, the data is still available to me.

I agree with you about pricing, Apple products are more expensive and some say you pay for the name but there you go...

My next two cents. I am a Microsoft and Nokia person and have cloud storage on top of onboard storage. Secondly, Lily was the person initially complaining about running out of onboard storage on her iPad. wink I think that it is highly likely that Apple memory is from a third party supplier anyway. I suspect that you are an Apple acolyte, whereas I am not:

http://www.techienews.co.uk/973136/apple-google-accused-ripping-customers-storage-pricing/

Vive la difference. grin
« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:57pm by Down And Out » User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3494
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3182 on: Aug 2nd, 2014, 5:06pm »

on Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:50pm, Down And Out wrote:
My next two cents. I am a Microsoft and Nokia person and have cloud storage on top of onboard storage. Secondly, Lily was the person initially complaining about running out of onboard storage on her iPad. wink I think that it is highly likely that Apple memory is from a third party supplier anyway. I suspect that you are an Apple acolyte, whereas I am not:

http://www.techienews.co.uk/973136/apple-google-accused-ripping-customers-storage-pricing/

Vive la difference. grin


Not really, the only reason I use iPad and iPhone is that I was given them from my work. I use a PC at work and at home. I don't use nor ever had a mac. I was just pointing out that the argument about expandable memory in the Apple devices is redundant for the reasons I stated. There are good and bad points about both platforms that go on for years and about which I don't wish to digress.
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3183 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 03:24am »

on Aug 2nd, 2014, 5:06pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
I was just pointing out that the argument about expandable memory in the Apple devices is redundant for the reasons I stated.

So why do Apple (and Google/Amazon) sell devices with different amounts of onboard memory? huh
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3494
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3184 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 03:50am »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 03:24am, Down And Out wrote:
So why do Apple (and Google/Amazon) sell devices with different amounts of onboard memory? huh


I guess it depends on how many apps or program's one needs..
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3185 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 04:15am »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 03:50am, Yild4Genesis wrote:
I guess it depends on how many apps or program's one needs..

Which brings me back to my original point that you could buy an iPad, fill up the onboard memory and then be stuffed. As Lily said, she is filling up her 32GB. Despite appearances to the contrary, this is not a personal attack on Apple. It is, in my opinion, a justified criticism of their policy on memory and a criticism that equally applies to the likes of Google and Amazon. The article I posted a link to is one of many you can find online. Anyway Yild, so long as we're all happy with our devices, that's great, so maybe it's time to move on. wink
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4974
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3186 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:30am »

on Aug 2nd, 2014, 4:02pm, Down And Out wrote:
And being an Apple you can't insert a memory card! grin grin grin

Sorry, I have to laugh but Apple's and Google's and Amazon Kindle's policy of not supporting expandable memory is a rip off and stinks to high heaven.


Another Apple stupidly: The iPhone has Bluetooth and a camera, but does not support bluetoothing a photo, thus the Polaroid pocket printer my wife bought when she had her old Nokia is now a waste of space, until she replaces her iPhone (Which will not be with another iPhone, she want one that always rings when it's not on silent, something this one does not do due to some software glitch!)
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10710
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3187 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 06:22am »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 04:15am, Down And Out wrote:
Which brings me back to my original point that you could buy an iPad, fill up the onboard memory and then be stuffed. As Lily said, she is filling up her 32GB. Despite appearances to the contrary, this is not a personal attack on Apple. It is, in my opinion, a justified criticism of their policy on memory and a criticism that equally applies to the likes of Google and Amazon. The article I posted a link to is one of many you can find online. Anyway Yild, so long as we're all happy with our devices, that's great, so maybe it's time to move on. wink


I agree with you D&0, apple products are excellent but lack that expandability. smiley
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3188 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 12:00pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 05:30am, foxfeeder wrote:
Another Apple stupidly: The iPhone has Bluetooth and a camera, but does not support bluetoothing a photo...

Wow, I didn't know that! shocked
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3494
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3189 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:35pm »

WW1 began 100 years ago today...
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3190 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:43pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:35pm, Yild4Genesis wrote:
WW1 began 100 years ago today...

Out of interest, what is your source for that date? Wikipedia says 28th July 1914, but of course Wikipedia is known to have errors. wink
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3494
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3191 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:48pm »

on Aug 3rd, 2014, 3:43pm, Down And Out wrote:
Out of interest, what is your source for that date? Wikipedia says 28th July 1914, but of course Wikipedia is known to have errors. wink


The Today Show lol!
100 years since England declared war on Germany and her allies
« Last Edit: Aug 3rd, 2014, 4:00pm by Yild4Genesis » User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
garyt
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 687
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3192 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 5:36pm »

We had a night away this weekend and booked into a hotel about 100miles north of our home. Going down to breakfast this morning a couple walked up to us and said " hi, you don't remember us." They were a couple from Edinburgh 200 miles north of where we were staying who we had met on a Greek island exactly a year ago . Coincidence or what?
User IP Logged

Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4698
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3193 on: Aug 3rd, 2014, 8:16pm »

I was actually ok for space until I started using my iPad for rented movies.

Next time I'll get a 64 for sure. It hasn't put me off.
User IP Logged

User Image
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #3194 on: Aug 4th, 2014, 02:16am »

Opticians appointment today. undecided
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls