Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 22nd, 2017, 3:30pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 26553 times)
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9289
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2475 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 3:33pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 2:38pm, Down And Out wrote:
... it is theft.

on Mar 4th, 2014, 2:47pm, YildtheTosser wrote:
I have a water leak in my roof

Hence the expression... "taking a leak." smiley
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2476 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 4:07pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 2:28pm, Down And Out wrote:
But I have bought 99% of mine legally! rolleyes In fact, the 310 I mentioned are all legal.

Why do you have to mention this? It's like you want me to feel guilty. Very uncalled for if you ask me! angry
User IP Logged

Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2477 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 4:25pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 4:07pm, NoSonOfVine wrote:
Why do you have to mention this? It's like you want me to feel guilty. Very uncalled for if you ask me! angry

Not uncalled for at all - you should feel guilty IMO. In most ways Thomas, you are a credit to your generation. You are also one of the most valued members of this forum and one of the most enthusiastic fans of Genesis and many other great bands. I really admire you for being an active member of a forum that consists mostly of people aged between 40 and 60. Sometimes it can't be easy because many of your age like completely different music. But because you're different from many of your age, I also like to think that you'll respect the views of others who don't like music piracy. And whilst it may be inevitable in an age of YouTube etc., that doesn't mean we should give up the fight. Do you ever send music back to NedFlanders? Frankly comments of yours like "I 'own' all of E.L.O.'s albums up to Secret Messages but don't know them well enought to vote" really piss me off. I am not trying to be patronising, just saying it like it is. I suspect that the likes of Ned Flanders, CountingOutTime, genesis1964, Noni, etc. do give each other copies of albums but in all likelyhood it leads to them actually buying more CDs by the artists in question. Us oldies did the same in the 1970s and 1980s by taping records. Your music collection exists digitally in iTunes. If somebody sends you a CD, you can rip it and if they send you MP3s, you can import them directly into iTunes. At the end of the day, there is no incentive to buy a physical CD at all. Buying music should be an investment and make one want to listen to it multiple times in order to appreciate it. If you're getting so much free music, there is no incentive to listen to it beyond the first listen if it doesn't hit the mark.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Witchwood
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 2998
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2478 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 5:02pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 4:25pm, Down And Out wrote:
[b]...Buying music should be an investment and make one want to listen to it multiple times in order to appreciate it. If you're getting so much free music, there is no incentive to listen to it beyond the first listen if it doesn't hit the mark.


An excellent point.
User IP Logged

Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is online

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10862
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2479 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 5:17pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 4:25pm, Down And Out wrote:
Not uncalled for at all - you should feel guilty IMO. In most ways Thomas, you are a credit to your generation. You are also one of the most valued members of this forum and one of the most enthusiastic fans of Genesis and many other great bands. I really admire you for being an active member of a forum that consists mostly of people aged between 40 and 60. Sometimes it can't be easy because many of your age like completely different music. But because you're different from many of your age, I also like to think that you'll respect the views of others who don't like music piracy. And whilst it may be inevitable in an age of YouTube etc., that doesn't mean we should give up the fight. Do you ever send music back to NedFlanders? Frankly comments of yours like "I 'own' all of E.L.O.'s albums up to Secret Messages but don't know them well enought to vote" really piss me off. I am not trying to be patronising, just saying it like it is. I suspect that the likes of Ned Flanders, CountingOutTime, genesis1964, Noni, etc. do give each other copies of albums but in all likelyhood it leads to them actually buying more CDs by the artists in question. Us oldies did the same in the 1970s and 1980s by taping records. Your music collection exists digitally in iTunes. If somebody sends you a CD, you can rip it and if they send you MP3s, you can import them directly into iTunes. At the end of the day, there is no incentive to buy a physical CD at all. Buying music should be an investment and make one want to listen to it multiple times in order to appreciate it. If you're getting so much free music, there is no incentive to listen to it beyond the first listen if it doesn't hit the mark.


I like your post D&O......... wink

I'm an Electrician and hate working for free!.... smiley
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14130
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2480 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 7:01pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 4:25pm, Down And Out wrote:
Not uncalled for at all - you should feel guilty IMO. In most ways Thomas, you are a credit to your generation. You are also one of the most valued members of this forum and one of the most enthusiastic fans of Genesis and many other great bands. I really admire you for being an active member of a forum that consists mostly of people aged between 40 and 60. Sometimes it can't be easy because many of your age like completely different music. But because you're different from many of your age, I also like to think that you'll respect the views of others who don't like music piracy. And whilst it may be inevitable in an age of YouTube etc., that doesn't mean we should give up the fight. Do you ever send music back to NedFlanders? Frankly comments of yours like "I 'own' all of E.L.O.'s albums up to Secret Messages but don't know them well enought to vote" really piss me off. I am not trying to be patronising, just saying it like it is. I suspect that the likes of Ned Flanders, CountingOutTime, genesis1964, Noni, etc. do give each other copies of albums but in all likelyhood it leads to them actually buying more CDs by the artists in question. Us oldies did the same in the 1970s and 1980s by taping records. Your music collection exists digitally in iTunes. If somebody sends you a CD, you can rip it and if they send you MP3s, you can import them directly into iTunes. At the end of the day, there is no incentive to buy a physical CD at all. Buying music should be an investment and make one want to listen to it multiple times in order to appreciate it. If you're getting so much free music, there is no incentive to listen to it beyond the first listen if it doesn't hit the mark.

OK, here's my answer to this. I know it's long. I just wanted to cover as much as I could.

Firstly, let me just say this. I bought most of the Electric Light Orchestra albums I own. The remaining two that I didn't buy were received as presents, bought by my parents. So you cannot use that particular band in your argument.

Secondly, your comment seems to imply (either intentionally or unintentionally) the following things:

1. I never buy physical CDs (untrue)
2. I do not appreciate the music I am given (untrue - I appreciate it massively)
3. I instantly stop listening to an album when I find I don't like it (untrue)
4. I have no incentive to allow albums to grow on me if I decide I don't like them (untrue. I'm going to tackle the VDGG albums again later this year)
5. The reason why I don't know the E.L.O. albums well enough is because I've given up on them (TOTALLY untrue. I'm still exploring their albums by rotating them and enjoying every one. At some point, I'll pick a favourite.)
6. Because I have a music collection on a computer, that means I don't have one outside the computer (untrue; I have my own CD cabinet in my room)
7. I've never given music away (Untrue. I sent NedFlanders some music. It wasn't to his taste, but I tried and he appreciated that, and I will definitely send him more music in the near future)
8. I never listen to music on CD, instead only listening via computer/iPod (untrue).

I mean, come on. I've bought loads of albums from HMV, Amazon, and the iTunes Store with money. I spent all the iTunes money I got for Christmas in 2012 on Renaissance albums for example. Whenever I post in the "Recent Purchases" thread, those are actual purchases, and I've listened to them all and I shall continue to listen to them. Thus, receiving a lot of free music did give me the incentive to buy loads more, hence why I've bought a lot of music, and I make sure to listen to every album enough times before I decide I don't like it, and in fact many albums that I didn't like much grew on me over time anyway. I persevere and play albums even if I don't feel like playing them - and there's a feeling of satisfaction when listening to loads of new or semi-new albums.

Also, I did not start this debate. This whole discussion came about just because I said, in a casual reply to Noni's comment, "I have well over 600 albums on my computer" which was not meant to give off any message. I did not say "I have well over 600 albums on my computer, you should all be jealous because I have so many and I got some of them for free, ha ha ha!" nor did I say "I have well over 600 albums and none of them came from CDs" because most of them in fact, did, or were at least purchased from the iTunes Store as music files with, like I said, money. I did not say "I have more music than anyone else" or "My music collection is better than anyone else's" or "People who buy music are idiots, illegal music sharing is better". I just listed the number of albums I have on my computer! That's really all I attempted to imply, and that's why I felt your comment was uncalled for.

So basically, I did not intend to piss you off. Hell, I even added the "this does not include the bla bla bla" part in the hopes that you wouldn't bring up this topic, but that obviously didn't help. I DO respect your opinion. I never said I didn't. And if you're referring to that foolish comment that I made in the past about this, yes, I was an idiot to say that, because we've all said some moronic things in the past and I was a different person back in the day - hell, this forum is the reason why I feel I've matured. I was wrong to say that YouTube is an excuse to pirate music, but that is no longer my view. But, if you want an apology for what I said many months ago, here it is - I'm really sorry. And if you want me to feel guilty for receiving free music once in a while, then okay. I'm guilty for that too. I'm a thief.

(I'm probably going to regret posting this comment in the morning by reading it back and discovering that, yet again, I've unintentionally offended).
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014, 7:04pm by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2481 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:09pm »

I like Cadbury creme eggs
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is online

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10862
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2482 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:23pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 8:09pm, YildtheTosser wrote:
I like Cadbury creme eggs


Easter soon mate! grin
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2483 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:25pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 8:23pm, Noni wrote:
Easter soon mate! grin


Year round here..
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9289
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2484 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:30pm »

My Chloe dog loves cheese. Except Swiss cheese... she won't go near the stuff.
User IP Logged

Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4701
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2485 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 9:02pm »

My person is coming back to Miami tonight after being away since Friday. cool
User IP Logged

User Image
Noni
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is online

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 10862
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2486 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 9:04pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 9:02pm, Lily wrote:
My person is coming back to Miami tonight after being away since Friday. cool

Nice! smiley
User IP Logged

Camel, Twelfth Night, IQ and Pendragon!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/uploads/35287/HiFi.gif
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2487 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 9:06pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 8:30pm, Dust wrote:
My Chloe dog loves cheese. Except Swiss cheese... she won't go near the stuff.


Too holey?
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2488 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 11:49pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 7:01pm, NoSonOfVine wrote:
OK, here's my answer to this. I know it's long. I just wanted to cover as much as I could.

Firstly, let me just say this. I bought most of the Electric Light Orchestra albums I own. The remaining two that I didn't buy were received as presents, bought by my parents. So you cannot use that particular band in your argument...

So, Big Big Train would have been a better example than Electric Light Orchestra? Seriously NSOV, I don't want to fall out over this. I know that you buy a lot of CDs and pay for a lot of downloads from iTunes. Perhaps, however, if you quote a post of mine - even one in TFOLR - you could be careful in your choice of words when it comes to talking about album "ownership". I know you weren't boasting when you said "600+" but knowing as I do how many of those are illegal rips is something I am very sensitive about. Peace? smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014, 11:52pm by Down And Out » User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #2489 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 11:52pm »

on Mar 4th, 2014, 8:30pm, Dust wrote:
My Chloe dog loves cheese. Except Swiss cheese... she won't go near the stuff.

on Mar 4th, 2014, 9:06pm, YildtheTosser wrote:
Too holey?

Makes me think of the scene where Basil and the Major are talking about women in "Fawlty Towers". Basil says that women have minds like Swiss cheese. The Major replies with "What? Hard?" Basil, with some bemusement, responds with "No, full of holes." laugh
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls