Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2017, 9:36pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 3459 times)
ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2336
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1530 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 1:37pm »

on Sep 15th, 2013, 2:42pm, Lily wrote:
It takes me up to an hour and a half on a treadmill to do that (assuming you believe the calorie count thing) and I always feel like crap afterwards. How do you do it?


Look into doing a HIIT routine on your treadmill. It'll burn a lot more calories, in less time. HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training.

Intervals have been shown to be a very effective way to burn a lot of cals. I do a cardio routine (I know you hate those) that is very high intensity, but a little different than a normal HIIT routine, and I usually burn 500 cals in 35-40 minutes. At least according to my heart rate monitor watch that I wear. If I do one that runs an hour, I'll burn 900-1,000 cals. Those hour routines are really difficult, and to be honest, I don't want to burn that many cals very often. Maybe once a month or so, but that's more for the extended workout, endurance, breathing, and heart benefits, than wanting the big calorie burn.

There are a lot of different HIIT routines out there for elliptical, treadmills, biking, etc. Check it out, and let me know if you find something. If not let me know, and I'll see if I can find some HIIT Treadmill routines you might like.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4698
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1531 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 1:43pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 1:37pm, ericm wrote:
Look into doing a HIIT routine on your treadmill. It'll burn a lot more calories, in less time. HIIT= High Intensity Interval Training.

Intervals have been shown to be a very effective way to burn a lot of cals. I do a cardio routine (I know you hate those) that is very high intensity, but a little different than a normal HIIT routine, and I usually burn 500 cals in 35-40 minutes. At least according to my heart rate monitor watch that I wear. If I do one that runs an hour, I'll burn 900-1,000 cals. Those hour routines are really difficult, and to be honest, I don't want to burn that many cals very often. Maybe once a month or so, but that's more for the extended workout, endurance, breathing, and heart benefits, than wanting the big calorie burn.

There are a lot of different HIIT routines out there for elliptical, treadmills, biking, etc. Check it out, and let me know if you find something. If not let me know, and I'll see if I can find some HIIT Treadmill routines you might like.


Thanks Eric.

For some reason I don't respond well to these high intensity workouts. I get a terrible headache later and my back and neck aches. I even had my trainer stay with me once when I did one to see what I was doing wrong. I've found I'm more likely to do treadmill type cardio workouts when I go at a slower pace for longer (unfortunately). I'd respond much better to Yoga and swimming which does not burn as many calories.
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2013, 1:44pm by Lily » User IP Logged

User Image
Snowbound
Eleventh Earl of Mar
ImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Better start doing it right...


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 223
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1532 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 2:10pm »

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/nationalservice.html

I'm probably proving myself to be an idiot yet again here, but I did some backreading, so I feel secure in mentioning this. Has anyone else noticed, and should I be concerned?
User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2336
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1533 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 2:30pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 1:43pm, Lily wrote:
Thanks Eric.

For some reason I don't respond well to these high intensity workouts. I get a terrible headache later and my back and neck aches. I even had my trainer stay with me once when I did one to see what I was doing wrong. I've found I'm more likely to do treadmill type cardio workouts when I go at a slower pace for longer (unfortunately). I'd respond much better to Yoga and swimming which does not burn as many calories.


You're welcome, Lily.

How about trying a regular interval instead of a high intensity one? I know long cardio workouts can get a bit boring so maybe spice it up a it. A lower intensity interval might not give you the aches of a high one.

When you're running on the treadmill try alternating an interval into it every other ten minutes. Something like running at your normal pace the 1st ten minutes, then on the 2nd ten,sprint the last 10-15 seconds of each minute. The 3rd ten back to a steady pace, and the 4th ten back to the 10-15 second sprints. Alternate every ten minutes for however long you're on the treadmill, and I think you'll see an increase in cals burned, while hopefully not feeling any bad effects when you're done.

Swimming is a great way to stay fit, and burn cals. Maybe not as many as other workouts, but that's ok. Anything that gets your heart pumping, and keeps you active is a good,healthy thing. If you enjoy it, it's even better, and in turn much easier to keep doing it.

Keep me posted if you give the treadmill interval thing a try.
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4698
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1534 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 3:12pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 2:30pm, ericm wrote:
You're welcome, Lily.

How about trying a regular interval instead of a high intensity one? I know long cardio workouts can get a bit boring so maybe spice it up a it. A lower intensity interval might not give you the aches of a high one.

When you're running on the treadmill try alternating an interval into it every other ten minutes. Something like running at your normal pace the 1st ten minutes, then on the 2nd ten,sprint the last 10-15 seconds of each minute. The 3rd ten back to a steady pace, and the 4th ten back to the 10-15 second sprints. Alternate every ten minutes for however long you're on the treadmill, and I think you'll see an increase in cals burned, while hopefully not feeling any bad effects when you're done.

Swimming is a great way to stay fit, and burn cals. Maybe not as many as other workouts, but that's ok. Anything that gets your heart pumping, and keeps you active is a good,healthy thing. If you enjoy it, it's even better, and in turn much easier to keep doing it.

Keep me posted if you give the treadmill interval thing a try.


I did it recently actually, that is why the results are so fresh in my mind.

I think it was the 'cardio' option on the treadmill, it went on what your target heart rate was so you had to keep your hands on the monitors, not good, I did an hour and thought I was dying afterwards (I walk fast, not run).

The next time I tried Interval at a fairly low level and still got sick after, so I've been going easier since then.

It's frustrating as I do want to burn some of this extra fat I've accumulated in the past year, maybe I'm just not strong enough.
User IP Logged

User Image
boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2303
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1535 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 3:45pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 2:10pm, Snowbound wrote:
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2013-14/nationalservice.html

I'm probably proving myself to be an idiot yet again here, but I did some backreading, so I feel secure in mentioning this. Has anyone else noticed, and should I be concerned?

I guess it depends how old you are – or how old your kids are!

It sounds like an extension to a year of the current month-long National Citizen Service scheme that lots of 16-17 year olds currently do, rather than what National Service used to mean ie being in the army (if it was the latter you’d definitely be concerned wink).

But private members’ bills very rarely become law unless the government backs them so unless they’ve declared their intention to back this one it probably won’t happen.
User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2336
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1536 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 3:48pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 3:12pm, Lily wrote:
I did it recently actually, that is why the results are so fresh in my mind.

I think it was the 'cardio' option on the treadmill, it went on what your target heart rate was so you had to keep your hands on the monitors, not good, I did an hour and thought I was dying afterwards (I walk fast, not run).

The next time I tried Interval at a fairly low level and still got sick after, so I've been going easier since then.

It's frustrating as I do want to burn some of this extra fat I've accumulated in the past year, maybe I'm just not strong enough.


Nah, I don't think it's a strength thing. Every person is different, and their bodies react differently. I think maybe the intervals, no matter the intensity, raise your heart rate, and your body reacts with headaches, and other aches. It's your body's way of telling you to cut it out, and you're smart listening to it, and not doing them.

I'm sure you know that no matter our age, all of our metabolisms slow down as we age, and we lose muscle mass too. In turn the older we get the easier it is to put on some fat.

The good news is you're active, and being pro active in working out. Just keep doing what works for you, and you'll keep the things above at bay.

If you feel you really want to drop a few pounds then your best bet IMO,is to cut some calories from your daily intake (300-500 a day if you can) and then maybe adding in a couple (2-3 total) extra swims, walks, yoga routines a week in addition to what your normal workout routine is. If that's too much,try a little less of both the daily cals cut, and extra workouts. You'll drop the lbs either way, it's just a matter of how long it'll take vs what your body can handle, while still feeling good.

I'm sure your trainer has told you all of this, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case they haven't.

Curious if you do any weight/resistance training in addition to the treadmill, yoga, swimming, etc?

« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2013, 3:53pm by ericm » User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4698
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1537 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 4:23pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 3:48pm, ericm wrote:
Nah, I don't think it's a strength thing. Every person is different, and their bodies react differently. I think maybe the intervals, no matter the intensity, raise your heart rate, and your body reacts with headaches, and other aches. It's your body's way of telling you to cut it out, and you're smart listening to it, and not doing them.

I'm sure you know that no matter our age, all of our metabolisms slow down as we age, and we lose muscle mass too. In turn the older we get the easier it is to put on some fat.

The good news is you're active, and being pro active in working out. Just keep doing what works for you, and you'll keep the things above at bay.

If you feel you really want to drop a few pounds then your best bet IMO,is to cut some calories from your daily intake (300-500 a day if you can) and then maybe adding in a couple (2-3 total) extra swims, walks, yoga routines a week in addition to what your normal workout routine is. If that's too much,try a little less of both the daily cals cut, and extra workouts. You'll drop the lbs either way, it's just a matter of how long it'll take vs what your body can handle, while still feeling good.

I'm sure your trainer has told you all of this, but figured I'd throw it out there just in case they haven't.

Curious if you do any weight/resistance training in addition to the treadmill, yoga, swimming, etc?



Yes I do, that's what I do with the trainer mainly. Plus the lunges, squats (ugh) etc.undecided

I am trying to cut down on sweets which are my weakness, but overall my diet is good.

This isn't very random is it. grin
User IP Logged

User Image
ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2336
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1538 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 4:39pm »

on Sep 16th, 2013, 4:23pm, Lily wrote:
Yes I do, that's what I do with the trainer mainly. Plus the lunges, squats (ugh) etc.undecided

I am trying to cut down on sweets which are my weakness, but overall my diet is good.

This isn't very random is it. grin


Haha. I was going to add in my last post maybe we shold continue in a pm so not to go off topic, but then realized it's the random thread, so I don't think anything here is off topic. wink grin

I think you have your workouts covered, and I know you eat healthy. With the cardio, weight training, and diet you have the three things most important to weight loss, maintainance, and good heart/body health covered,IMO.

Everyone has their weaknesses, and as long as you're keeping up with the workouts, some sweets aren't the end of the world. After all, we've got to enjoy the life we're working hard to better, too! smiley
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1539 on: Sep 16th, 2013, 5:03pm »

Poor old "two words" thread, festering in its own vomit. grin
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2013, 5:03pm by Down And Out » User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1540 on: Sep 17th, 2013, 1:45pm »

The number of tracks I have copied so far to my mobile phone is a very Rush-ian 2112. grin
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
ChocolateSurprise
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Choccy


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 24152
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1541 on: Sep 17th, 2013, 4:02pm »

It's only Tuesday! undecided
User IP Logged

Can she fail armed with her Chocolate Surprise?!

Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4698
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1542 on: Sep 17th, 2013, 4:32pm »

The electric car is a lot of fun, but very bumpy. We should have got the bigger wheels. I played 'Cinema Show' on it yesterday (so it's officially been christened) and it sounded pretty amazing.
User IP Logged

User Image
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1543 on: Sep 18th, 2013, 05:18am »

I can't think of anything to say in this thread today.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9275
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1544 on: Sep 18th, 2013, 05:54am »

It's getting to be slipper weather. I need to buy a new pair.
User IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls