Board Logo
« The thread of complete randomness »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2017, 3:11pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: The thread of complete randomness  (Read 7726 times)
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9302
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1035 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 06:01am »

on Jun 7th, 2013, 4:25pm, boredatwork wrote:
I think youíre being over generous in saying ďtwo halvesĒ, since the prog semi-sceptics on here are in a tiny minority consisting of Down & Out, Dust, me & .... er, well, thatís probably it wink

I think you're way off, BAW, and I agree with most of Merryman's comments.

Among my ten favorite all-time artists are Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Yes, with several others not far behind. Among the music-listening public, I would be considered a HUGE Prog fan. While there are a handful of people here who seem to eat, sleep and breathe Prog--some with apparent exclusivity--I think they are, in fact, in the minority. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and not that it makes any difference whatsoever. I'm happy for anyone who knows what he/she likes and follows his/her own path. smiley

Now if you'll pardon me... I have to get back to my homework of learning Rush. smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2013, 06:04am by Dust » User IP Logged

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9302
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1036 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 06:08am »

"...like looking for a needle in a stack of needles."
User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2324
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1037 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 08:48am »

on Jun 8th, 2013, 06:01am, Dust wrote:
I think you're way off, BAW, and I agree with most of Merryman's comments.

Among my ten favorite all-time artists are Genesis, Pink Floyd, and Yes, with several others not far behind. Among the music-listening public, I would be considered a HUGE Prog fan. While there are a handful of people here who seem to eat, sleep and breathe Prog--some with apparent exclusivity--I think they are, in fact, in the minority. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and not that it makes any difference whatsoever. I'm happy for anyone who knows what he/she likes and follows his/her own path. :

Well itís fairer to say thereís a curve on here from the people that ďeat, sleep & breathe progĒ at one extreme to people who until they joined this forum thought prog died out in the 70s, had never heard the names of any later prog bands such as Porcupine Tree, only liked 3 prog artists (Supertramp, Mike Oldfield & some ELP) & didnít even realise that 2 of those 3 were classed as prog! And amazingly, even given all that, Iím less ignorant about prog than the average person in the street.

So you can see how from my perspective this forum appears to contain a large majority of the "eat, sleep & breathe" fans. The proof is in the Other Bands section: how many non-prog threads do you see? Not many.

User IP Logged

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9302
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1038 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 09:35am »

on Jun 8th, 2013, 08:48am, boredatwork wrote:
Well itís fairer to say thereís a curve on here from the people that ďeat, sleep & breathe progĒ at one extreme to people who until they joined this forum thought prog died out in the 70s, had never heard the names of any later prog bands such as Porcupine Tree, only liked 3 prog artists (Supertramp, Mike Oldfield & some ELP) & didnít even realise that 2 of those 3 were classed as prog! And amazingly, even given all that, Iím less ignorant about prog than the average person in the street.

So you can see how from my perspective this forum appears to contain a large majority of the "eat, sleep & breathe" fans. The proof is in the Other Bands section: how many non-prog threads do you see? Not many.


I agree completely about the "extremes" you've noted! And I previously thought about addressing the exact point you made at the end there. The heavy-Prog-people absolutely post far more in the Other Bands section, so I definitely see your perspective, but I still don't agree that they are necessarily in the majority. They are just far more active in that section.

Why? I've started threads about Elton John, Elvis Costello, Springsteen, Clapton... even Pink Floyd and The Beatles... huge artists that no doubt have zillions of fans here, but the threads tend to end quickly. Meanwhile a thread about Gazpacho will generate a passionate discussion among a small number of die-hard Prog-heads that continues for several pages.

I can discuss U2 and The Who with anyone anywhere... amongst my friends, family, co-workers, etc. But if I want to talk about Panic Room or Grobschnitt, I can only do it here. wink Add to that the fact that avid Genesis fans are already predisposed to enjoy quality Prog, and I truly believe that discussions here tend to be more specialized to Prog bands, even though multitudes of us--Henry, Lily, Eric, D&O, NoSon, Merryman, Ellen, Squiggly, Liam, Peng, Krissy, you, me, etc, etc--could hardly be considered Prog-only fans.

KnowwhatImean? smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2013, 09:40am by Dust » User IP Logged

boredatwork
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2324
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1039 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 10:00am »

on Jun 8th, 2013, 09:35am, Dust wrote:
I agree completely about the "extremes" you've noted! And I previously thought about addressing the exact point you made at the end there. The heavy-Prog-people absolutely post far more in the Other Bands section, so I definitely see your perspective, but I still don't agree that they are necessarily in the majority. They are just far more active in that section.

Why? I've started threads about Elton John, Elvis Costello, Springsteen, Clapton... even Pink Floyd and The Beatles... huge artists that no doubt have zillions of fans here, but the threads tend to end quickly. Meanwhile a thread about Gazpacho will generate a passionate discussion among a small number of die-hard Prog-heads that continues for several pages.

I can discuss U2 and The Who with anyone anywhere... amongst my friends, family, co-workers, etc. But if I want to talk about Panic Room or Grobschnitt, I can only do it here. wink Add to that the fact that avid Genesis fans are already predisposed to enjoy quality Prog, and I truly believe that discussions here tend to be more specialized to Prog bands, even though multitudes of us--Henry, Lily, Eric, D&O, NoSon, Merryman, Ellen, Squiggly, Liam, Peng, Krissy, you, me, etc, etc--could hardly be considered Prog-only fans.

KnowwhatImean? smiley

Yes indeed. The length of the Other Bands prog threads is as striking as the number eg 358 pages on the Flower Kings. In real life I donít know a single person who has heard of the Flower Kings. But I suppose thatís it, many people who have a passionate interest in prog are in similar situations & have nowhere else to discuss it so it ends up here. The unintentional by-product of which is that non-prog fans feel like outsiders. But thatís unavoidable I guess, it would be mean to resent the specialists having their outlet here.
User IP Logged

NoSonOfVine
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 14165
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1040 on: Jun 8th, 2013, 2:23pm »

Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here is a great album IMHO, but I wouldn't call it perfect, because to me it does go by a bit too slowly. I'd give it an 9. To be honest I wouldn't call myself a "big fan" of Pink Floyd, just a fan. I really like them, don't get me wrong, but I'm more into bands that play music that has an equal number of fast and slow parts. Floyd mostly sticks to slow, trippy stuff.

My ranking of WYWH's tracks:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond [Part 1]
2. Welcome To The Machine
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond [Part 2]
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Have A Cigar

I will say this though - Pulse is one of the best live albums ever recorded, easily the best item in their discography. cool
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2013, 2:54pm by NoSonOfVine » User IP Logged

supernatural
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4206
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1041 on: Jun 9th, 2013, 04:22am »

we're all individuals
User IP Logged

if he wants you to snuff it..........
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1042 on: Jun 9th, 2013, 04:33am »

My ten favourite 10cc tracks:

  1. Une Nuit A Paris
  2. Don't Hang Up
  3. Somewhere In Hollywood
  4. Old Wild Men
  5. I'm Mandy Fly Me
  6. The Wall Street Shuffle
  7. I'm Not In Love
  8. Life Is A Minestrone
  9. Rubber Bullets
  10. Feel The Benefit

User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1043 on: Jun 11th, 2013, 12:15am »

All quiet on the western front.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
supernatural
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 4206
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1044 on: Jun 11th, 2013, 07:16am »

My elephant is stuck in the tumble dryer
User IP Logged

if he wants you to snuff it..........
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1045 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 03:33am »

Only 9 or 10 days to go until the longest day (summer equinox) in the northern hemisphere.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9302
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1046 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 3:12pm »

There are several Moderators of this Forum who haven't posted--and probably haven't visited--in years.
User IP Logged

HENRY
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Miserable Git


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 6512
xx Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1047 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 5:13pm »

on Jun 12th, 2013, 3:12pm, Dust wrote:
There are several Moderators of this Forum who haven't posted--and probably haven't visited--in years.

I think they were kidnapped and recruited to moderate in a Motorhead forum...
User IP Logged

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa
.:Krissy:.
Alpha Banksian
The Oracle
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

"Dream what tomorrow might bring..."


Homepage PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 2273
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1048 on: Jun 12th, 2013, 9:40pm »

Members that demonstrate careful decision-making skills as well as good citizenship (i.e. cooperation, consideration) on the forum would be considered for moderator positions. If you are interested in becoming a moderator, submit an application or nomination to me via PM.

Copy and paste the text below as your application to be a moderator. Fill it out and PM your responses to Krissy.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Username:

Section to Moderate:

Level of Experience with Computers:

Work Experience:

Academic Experience:

Volunteer Groups:

Leadership Positions Held:

Have you been convicted of a felony?

How do you handle conflicts between people?

What are your core values?

Please submit this application to .:Krissy:.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

.:Krissy:.
User IP Logged

User Image
TIOA Forum Admin.
.:Forever a Banksian:.
Down And Out
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 29001
wink Re: The thread of complete randomness
« Reply #1049 on: Jun 13th, 2013, 03:52am »

I burnt the toast yesterday.
User IP Logged

It's good to be here, how've you been?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 72  ...  280 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls