Board Logo
« What puts a smile on your face? »

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 17th, 2017, 1:39pm



« Previous Topic | Next Topic »
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265  ...  320 Notify Send Topic Print
 veryhotthread  Author  Topic: What puts a smile on your face?  (Read 72074 times)
Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3930 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 12:51am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 12:31am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
The United Kingdom remains intact. smiley


Me too. We don't need to change our flag now
grin
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
alanh
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM


Posts: 3956
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3931 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 05:57am »

Hi there



Watching Alec Salmond's face when he realised he had misplayed the nationalist card.


Now of course, it is our (and by that I mean England's) turn which could be VERY interesting!


Alan H
User IP Logged

Yild4Genesis
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




Homepage PM


Posts: 3504
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3932 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 06:30am »

Getting a message from my daughter who flew to Japan yesterday...

smiley
User IP Logged

I wrote the last entry in my diary today. It simply said...bugger
Squigelyfox
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

You know you make me smile, so many ways at once


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 7506
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3933 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 07:05am »

on Sep 18th, 2014, 1:11pm, ericm wrote:
In your response to me you said you didn't "believe in all this gym stuff". Not the same as overrated to me.

The chicken was just an example. Substitute fish if you like, but the point remains the same.


I said it was overrated generally, yes. And in another post that I don't believe in all this gym stuff personally.

It's been sad to hear about a couple of people recently training for charity runs, doing the runs, and having heart attacks and dying on the day. Even young athletes have collapsed with heart problems. Doesn't seem like a good advert for me for improving your health? Are these people overdoing it? I think so. Seems to me like you need to take care with exercise.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014, 07:14am by Squigelyfox » User IP Logged

Summer lightning in your eyes
It keeps on dancing

foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5076
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3934 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 07:25am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 12:31am, NoSonOfVine wrote:
The United Kingdom remains intact. smiley


Indeedy. Excellent news, though I never doubted it!
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

User Image
foxfeeder
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm an all-eras fan. Of Steve Hackett!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5076
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3935 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 07:27am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 07:05am, Squigelyfox wrote:
I said it was overrated generally, yes. And in another post that I don't believe in all this gym stuff personally.

It's been sad to hear about a couple of people recently training for charity runs, doing the runs, and having heart attacks and dying on the day. Even young athletes have collapsed with heart problems. Doesn't seem like a good advert for me for improving your health? Are these people overdoing it? I think so. Seems to me like you need to take care with exercise.


I think the key word is Moderation. I've always advocated it, in exercise and in eating. People demonise McDonalds, but no-one in their right mind would eat there everyday. I doubt even McD expect you to! A little of what makes you happy does you good, a diet of junk will kill you quicker though.
User IP Logged

Ian

Blasting, billowing, bursting forth, With the power of ten billion butterfly sneezes.

User Image
ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3936 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:01am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 07:05am, Squigelyfox wrote:
I said it was overrated generally, yes. And in another post that I don't believe in all this gym stuff personally.

It's been sad to hear about a couple of people recently training for charity runs, doing the runs, and having heart attacks and dying on the day. Even young athletes have collapsed with heart problems. Doesn't seem like a good advert for me for improving your health? Are these people overdoing it? I think so. Seems to me like you need to take care with exercise.


The first thing any person who is planning on any type of exercise program or training for an event should do is get cleared by a Doctor. Hell, every sport I ever participated in, I had to get a physical, and be cleared to play.

I do a pretty intense cardio workout about three times a week. There's six or so dvd's as part of that program, and I rotate the workouts. Every one of them starts with a health warning, and saying to get cleared by a Doctor before starting the program. Only a fool or stubborn know it all wouldn't get checked out before attempting a routine like this or training for a long run type event.

I'd be willing to bet most of the people you're speaking about had some type of heart defect that would've been found or at the very least told to look into further had they seen a Doctor before starting their training. No question this is part of the "taking care" with exercise, but lets not fault exercise for some not taking care. Done right, there is no question proper exercise will improve health.

I will say though if I had to go, next to having sex, or at a concert, if I dropped while exercising, I'd die happy. It would just be my time to go, and not the fault of exercise. grin
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4704
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3937 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:32am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 10:01am, ericm wrote:
I will say though if I had to go, next to having sex, or at a concert, if I dropped while exercising, I'd die happy. It would just be my time to go, and not the fault of exercise. grin


Speaking of which, it's pretty hard to enjoy a concert when you get tired half way through, and difficult have any kind of decent sex when you aren't fit!
User IP Logged

User Image
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19219
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3938 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:40am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 10:01am, ericm wrote:
The first thing any person who is planning on any type of exercise program or training for an event should do is get cleared by a Doctor. Hell, every sport I ever participated in, I had to get a physical, and be cleared to play.

I do a pretty intense cardio workout about three times a week. There's six or so dvd's as part of that program, and I rotate the workouts. Every one of them starts with a health warning, and saying to get cleared by a Doctor before starting the program. Only a fool or stubborn know it all wouldn't get checked out before attempting a routine like this or training for a long run type event.

I'd be willing to bet most of the people you're speaking about had some type of heart defect that would've been found or at the very least told to look into further had they seen a Doctor before starting their training. No question this is part of the "taking care" with exercise, but lets not fault exercise for some not taking care. Done right, there is no question proper exercise will improve health.

I will say though if I had to go, next to having sex, or at a concert, if I dropped while exercising, I'd die happy. It would just be my time to go, and not the fault of exercise. grin


Although I am in the medical field, I don't trust doctors any further than I can throw them. They are the 3rd leading cause of deaths in the U.S. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/07/30/doctors-death-part-one.aspx

Due to HIPAA laws, I won't state what I do in the medical field, but I see negligence, gross errors, unnecessary infections and death on a daily basis in our hospitals. The doctors will tell the families some concocted reason why their loved one died on the operating table, when in reality it was due to poor decisions or ineptness on the physician's part.

I know that strays from the original subject matter of exercise and eating right, but getting a doctor's approval to start an exercise regimen doesn't add up to much, IMO.



« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:41am by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3939 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:41am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 10:32am, Lily wrote:
Speaking of which, it's pretty hard to enjoy a concert when you get tired half way through, and difficult have any kind of decent sex when you aren't fit!



Hmmmm......I think you might be onto something. wink grin
User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
ericm
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 2350
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3940 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 10:52am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 10:40am, CountingOutTime wrote:
Although I am in the medical field, I don't trust doctors any further than I can throw them. They are the 3rd leading cause of deaths in the U.S. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/07/30/doctors-death-part-one.aspx

Due to HIPAA laws, I won't state what I do in the medical field, but I see negligence, gross errors, unnecessary infections and death on a daily basis in our hospitals. The doctors will tell the families some concocted reason why their loved one died on the operating table, when in reality it was due to poor decisions or ineptness on the physician's part.

I know that strays from the original subject matter of exercise and eating right, but getting a doctor's approval to start an exercise regimen doesn't add up to much, IMO.




So because there are some not so good doctors people shouldn't get checked out? Just start a routine willy nilly? Sorry but C'mon, that makes zero sense to me. What do you propose they do?

Get a 2nd opinion or find a good doctor that you feel is more than competent if you're not satisfied with the first doctor. Whether it's to start an exercise routine or get a cancer screening. It's not that hard for anyone to know what tests should be run to check out your heart for example. You're telling us there aren't any competent cardiologists that could read those tests results correctly?

I know you work in the medical field but I'm sure you've come across some very good doctors. I find it hard to believe you haven't. In my lifetime I've come across both but like anything else, I use my judgement on their abilities, and either continue with them or find someone else.
« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2014, 08:45am by ericm » User IP Logged

"You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cell phone."
CountingOutTime
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 19219
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3941 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 11:02am »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 10:52am, ericm wrote:
So because there are some not so good doctors people shouldn't get checked out? Just start a regime willy nilly? Sorry but C'mon, that makes zero sense to me. What do you propose they do?

Get a 2nd opinion or find a good doctor that you feel is more than competent if you're not satisfied with the first doctor. Whether it's to start an exercise routine or get a cancer screening. It's not that hard for anyone to know what tests should be run to check out your heart for example. You're telling us there aren't any competent cardiologists that could read those tests results correctly?

I know you work in the medical field but I'm sure you've come across some very good doctors. I find it hard to believe you haven't. In my lifetime I've come across both but like anything else, I use my judgement on their abilities, and either continue with them or find someone else.


I've come across some compassionate doctors, but that doesn't mean I trust them. In America, the medical industry is a money-making machine. We don't have nationalized medicine as Europe does. We pay exorbitant fees for shoddy medical coverage. All decisions are based on whether or not you can afford the treatment you need. If you can't, you suffer. Kind of goes against their hippocratic oath, doesn't it? Breaking the oath should be considered malpractice with legal ramifications, but that rarely happens these days.

I guess that would support the idea of staying healthy so you don't have to see a doctor. Kind of a catch 22 for those who don't like to eat right and exercise, eh?
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2014, 11:04am by CountingOutTime » User IP Logged

Mal
Watcher of the Skies
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

Somethings changed, that's not your face, IT'S MINE!!!


PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 5247
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3942 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 11:50am »

The Vice thread grin
User IP Logged

You're naive if you really do believe
That the world is so full of sin

Dust
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar




PM

Gender: Male
Posts: 9302
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3943 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 12:31pm »

User Image

My Chloé is learning about mirrors. When she's up in the bedroom, she has taken to looking at a person or object in the room, then moving around in order to see the same person or object in the mirror.

My friend says this is absurd. That a dog's brain can't possibly comprehend the concept of reflection. He don't know my Chloé. smiley
User IP Logged

Lily
Lord/Lady of Lords
ImageImageImageImageImage


member is offline

Avatar

I'm just spoiled


PM

Gender: Female
Posts: 4704
xx Re: What puts a smile on your face?
« Reply #3944 on: Sep 19th, 2014, 5:50pm »

on Sep 19th, 2014, 12:31pm, Dust wrote:
User Image

My Chloé is learning about mirrors. When she's up in the bedroom, she has taken to looking at a person or object in the room, then moving around in order to see the same person or object in the mirror.

My friend says this is absurd. That a dog's brain can't possibly comprehend the concept of reflection. He don't know my Chloé. smiley



Awwwww....
User IP Logged

User Image
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 263 264 265  ...  320 Notify Send Topic Print
« Previous Topic | Next Topic »

Donate $6.99 for 50,000 Ad-Free Pageviews!

| |

This forum powered for FREE by Conforums ©
Sign up for your own Free Message Board today!
Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | Conforums Support | Parental Controls